VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Parkahito

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been searching around for the name of an old DOS golf game I used to play as a kid in the 80's.

Some of the details about the game are a little fuzzy, but I believe that the game was made by Electronic Arts. I remember the game using CGA graphics, and some of the courses had large dinosaurs on them that didn't move. I think that if your ball hit one of the dinosaurs, then the PC speaker would made a large roaring sound (although I could be dreaming this part up, heh).

Most of my search results point me to a "PGA Tour Golf" game made around 1989-1990, but in looking at Youtube videos of this game, I am certain that this isn't quite the one I'm looking for. I believe the game I am looking for is older than this one, complete with cheezy PC speaker music at the beginning and CGA graphics. I'm pretty sure I played this game on DOS 3.1 too.

Has anyone ever played this game or has any details about what the title/publisher of this game might be?

Reply 1 of 11, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Iam thinking you are looking for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTP4Tt1tOWU

I played that one as a kid too.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 3 of 11, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These two come to mind:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/world-tour-golf
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/will-harveys-zany-golf

I doubt it's World Class Leader Board or Mean 18 as previously suggested because I own both of them and neither game has any dinosaurs, neither game has anything to do with Electronic Arts, and neither game has startup music. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 4 of 11, by Parkahito

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies.

Gemini, you nailed it. Word Tour Golf is the game, and it is published like Electronic Arts as I suspected.

Here's a Youtube video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAcWqrnm5L8. Note the dinosaur on the map around the 1:35 mark.

Now to play the game and find out if the dinosaur growls at you when you hit him with the ball.

Reply 5 of 11, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣, I used to play this golf game in my venerable Amstrad PC1512 back in the day.

If I remenber correctly, the dinosaur not only growled, it also ate your balls.

Let the air flow!

Reply 7 of 11, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:
TELVM wrote:

the dinosaur not only growled, it also ate your balls.

I really shouldn't quote this out of context like a little girl.

but, you want to 🤣

anyway, mode 4/5 with 5 colored CGA !!
I never knew that you could change cyan into white.

-fffuuu

Reply 9 of 11, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joey_sw wrote:

anyway, mode 4/5 with 5 colored CGA !!
I never knew that you could change cyan into white.

looks like the normal palette 1 to me, just with a red background instead of black... or does it do any other special tricks?

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 10 of 11, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VileRancour wrote:

looks like the normal palette 1 to me, just with a red background instead of black... or does it do any other special tricks?

It seems the faulty lies on my eyes & my monitor resolution.

It is just changing color-0 to red,
the problem is that cyan-red checkered pattern appear as moired grey/white to me.
As I can't remember such thing appeared that way on low resolution CGA RGBI 14" monitor.

I made an image pattern test, if the image appeared as patterned-grey , try the browser zooming functions.
image.png

-fffuuu

Reply 11 of 11, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh, I bet that this "dark grey" is exactly the effect they were trying to achieve. Red and cyan are opposite each other on the color wheel, so alternating red/cyan pixels would be perceived as colorless (grey).
Color dithering was an important technique in limited-color modes - it just looks TOO convincing on a modern monitor (with more DPI and/or soft-blended pixels). ;)

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]