Common searches

CD/DVD Media

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Independent from the quality of the media. Anyone else here tend to burn at a low speed instead of the maximum speed?
I have the idea that this tends to make the disks last longer (more effective writes onto the disk so as the disk decays, it remains readable for a longer time).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 21 of 27, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've always burned below maximum speed.
When I got my first CD-RW (a Philips that burned at 2X) with some discs I need to use 1X in order to be successful.
Then a couple years later I upgraded it wiht a 16x LG , that I used at 12X because I read somewhere 12X was the maximum speed a disc could run, and I've kept to that until today.
With DVD burning the same thing, burning a full speed does not function well sometimes. I burn always a notch under the maximum.

Reply 22 of 27, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I usually burn at a slower speed....

I went to Office Depot (where I should have gone in the first place) and got some TDK CD-R disks... made by Ritek... MUCH better....

Which do you guys think is more stable long-term CD-R or DVD-R?

I am currently going though and scanning a binder of CD-R disks I was originally going to throw out... starting to think these are worth keeping

Reply 23 of 27, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

long term CD/DVD mostly plagued by Disc-Rot although with differing rates.
Yeah its happened to me on early Linux distro: Mandrake DVD-R.

Reflective layer of optical disc apparently affected by exposure of lights,
I've read somewhere about storing the disc on dark-place may prolong the disc's life a bit.

-fffuuu

Reply 24 of 27, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also always burn at lowest speed. I'd rather have the data last longer than save a couple of minutes in the burn process.

I also always generate MD5 sums for the files that I burn and manually verify them (i.e. independently of the burning program) afterwards. I'd love to find a CD burner that smoothly automates the process. (I think K3B for Linux does that, but of course that's not available for Windows.)

Reply 25 of 27, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can't say I have a lot of problems with this.
I use the cheapest I can buy (Platinum), there is the occasional coaster (1 in 30 I think), but that is also caused by my habit of burning extra tracks.
I do always burn at the lowest speed possible though, don't know if that makes any difference and I have just a couple of bogstandard cheap LG burners.
Also I keep my recordables in the dark.

Reply 27 of 27, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ncmark wrote:

The issue isn't whether the media burns (most does) but the error rates and how long the disks last. I'll bet if you actually scanned those disks it would be an eye opener.

I know, but friends of my have 4/5 year old recordables that don't work anymore, while I have 10 year old that still work perfectly.