VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, I followed the steps Mau1wurf1977 showed in his video on installing and running DOS 7. Everything is great, I've got a nice working DOS install with 30gigs of HD space.

However, I can't run the SB16 install and setup utilities because of their requirement of running under DOS 6. I've even made a DOS 6 install to floppy floppy, used the DRDOS Fat32 driver on it. I can boot, it'll see the fat32 partition, but the SB utilities don't identify the hard drive and ask for a Drive B: floppy for installation. I don't have a second floppy drive.

So, how do I get around this problem, short of wiping the drive, and doing it the old fashioned 4x 2gb partitions and wasting the rest of my smallest drive by installing regular old dos 6.22?

Reply 1 of 16, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
senrew wrote:

So, I followed the steps Mau1wurf1977 showed in his video on installing and running DOS 7. Everything is great, I've got a nice working DOS install with 30gigs of HD space.

Oh wow someone watched AND USED my MS-DOS 7.1 tutorial 😊

However, I can't run the SB16 install and setup utilities because of their requirement of running under DOS 6.

Oh this one is easy!

You need to use SETVER to "trick" SETUP.EXE (or is it INSTALL.EXE) into believing it's DOS 6.22

Type SETVER /? and it will show you the command options.

It goes like this:

SETVER SETUP.EXE 6.22

And after this you can run SETUP.EXE without any issues.

Also, for installing PnP Creative cards I made a video a while ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9GSYgarPs4

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 16, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Setver trick isn't working. I've set setver for setup, install, ctcm, ctcu, etc, but they all still give the error message.

Yeah, I've watched a few of your videos, they've been helpful!

Reply 3 of 16, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm I installed a SB16 the other day and had to use SETVER to get it going. So I know it works.

Have you got C:\DOS as Path variable?

Set PATH=C:\DOS

I'm testing an AWE64 right now and will let you know if it causes any issues (because the AWE needs CTCM as well).

My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 16, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Setver must be loaded in the config.sys before working. Device=c:\dos\setver.exe.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 5 of 16, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes that's there. But I think senrew found a real roadblock here.

SETVER has to be before CTCM in config.sys.

But CTCU refuses to run, regardless of a SETVER entry 🙁

Last edited by Mau1wurf1977 on 2012-10-07, 17:52. Edited 1 time in total.

My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 16, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, yeah, it's a problem.

My intention is to run 2 sound cards, my CT2490 for main duties, and my vortex2 as a host for my XR385 (love that chinese dude for providing these things cheap and plentifully). I've got the Vortex running fine with the au30dos utility. Only SB pro though, which kind of sucks, but the midi card is a thing of beauty.

Now I would just like to be able to use the SB16...

Reply 7 of 16, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok managed to assign resources by manually editing CTPNP.CFG (changing midi to 330 and IRQ to 7).

It's working now though!

My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 16, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Where exactly does your installation fail?

do you have the same drivers as I do (from the Creative website?). You will need the SBBASIC driver and the CTCM driver. They are both compressed and will unpack.

I have SBBASIC in C:\DRIVERS\SBBASIC and CTCM in C:\DRIVERS\CTCM

Just as per video. I did get a script error during the beginning of the installation and an error about CTCM not able to run. But after the reboot I added CTCM to SETVER and then manually changed the resources and now it works.

My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 16, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just wiped the sb files and am going to start fresh with your specific instructions.

I had actually previously gotten the SB16 alternative drivers install from the vogons driver site, and those are what I was using. I *think* they are the same thing though, but I'll try it this way too.

Going to double check and make sure I add EVERYTHING into the setver setup that may get run by the installers and utilities to show as 6.22. I'll get back here after I've run through it.

Reply 10 of 16, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I got it installed. All is working right. I just can't hear the midi coming from the second card. I've got the output from the vortex going to the line in of the sb16. I've got the vortex pointing to 330, sb16 midi is at 300. Games point to 330 for midi, but nothing. I can SORT of hear the midi coming through the speakers from the imuse setup for tie fighter, but it's very very faint.

The mixerset for the sb has the x on both left and right for line, dunno what I'm doing wrong.

EDIT: Nevermind...didn't have line checked in the output part of the mixer.

WOW, this sounds so damn nice now.

Reply 12 of 16, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

one workaround:
install this shit on DOS 6.22
copy the SB16 directory and the config/autoexec files over to the DOS 7 install... make sure not to overwrite the config/autoexec... just merge the differences 😉

Reply 14 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wish someone would poke at the SB16 install and figure out exactly how it detects MS-DOS 6.22 (and how to patch it so it ignores it). It is unusually stubborn.

I was going to suggest trying a RAM disk or a USB drive.

Reply 15 of 16, by andrewls

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,
I would like to test a few different cards operation under the SB16 drivers but am having some of the problems above (and others!) Could anybody please be kind enough to upload the extracted sbbasic.exe files? In other words, a working SB16 DOS folder?
Thanks for any help with that. WIth that I might be able to contribute more interesting info.
A

Reply 16 of 16, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had something like that stored for the Sound Blaster 16 (late models), it is now uploaded to here:
Sound Blaster 16 Pre-Installed for DOS 7

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul