Common searches

Cause For Concern

Topic actions

First post, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like the retards in the Supreme Court are working to make things more difficult for second hand purchases and exchanges.

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/189466/suprem … ard-sales-ebay/

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2 of 20, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hope the Canadian gov't doesn't jump on this as well. 😜

badmofo wrote:

It'd be kinda like jaywalking - impossible to police.

I've actually jaywalked in front of police before. They don't really care. 🤣

Reply 3 of 20, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

and pretty soon a loaf of bread will include a EULA "in purchasing this bread the purchaser agrees not not share, sell, loan or bequeath this bread or any portion of this bread to any other person or persons." All in the name of the "intelectual rights" movement and other corporate strong arm maneovers to use the courts as market enforcers...

Reply 4 of 20, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmofo wrote:

A mate of mine got fined by the police for jaywalking, in the middle of the CBD. It was $88
He wasn't going to pay it and then he got a notice in the mail threatening to cancel his licence if he didn't pay the fine plus interest

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 5 of 20, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

those 'copyright infringement' is false charges as theres no 'illegal duplication of the same goods'
were take place in first place, in that case.

it should be read as 'profits infringement' though,
the company coveting their own imaginary profits if those books were First-hand sales.

-fffuuu

Reply 6 of 20, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I read about that a couple week ago, it started with a stupid story about book imported from Thailand.

I think this has no chance of really getting through as this is complete nonsense and would basically create a general riot.
I buy almost everything second hand, i consider it to be part of a healthy sustainable lifestyle that everyone should adopt.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 8 of 20, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just when I thought things couldn't get even stranger...😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 20, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cause for major LOLs.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 12 of 20, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the article is a little on the paranoid side.

The case in question is about textbooks. Some publishers will take the fancy hard-cover textbook they sell for an outrageous price in the US and print it as a softcover on cheap paper for sale in Asia. I've bought one of those before myself.

Several outcomes strike me as more likely:
-Import restrictions are set up for particular editions of textbooks.
-Publishers stop gouging US students and start making the same softcover editions available to US students.
-Publishers stop publishing cheap Asian editions.

The second option sort of makes sense in that there may be more money in selling two cheap copies (which might be in unsellable condition by the time the semester is over) than there is in selling one hardcover (that will be resold by the campus bookstore). But then again, some students might prefer new textbooks, others might prefer to hold on to them forever instead of selling them in the delusion that they might be useful again some day ( 😊 ), and of course the publisher can always come out with a new edition and make the previous edition redundant and effectively unsellable.

Reply 13 of 20, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

But then again,... others might prefer to hold on to them forever instead of selling them in the delusion that they might be useful again some day ( 😊 ),

*Looks at the bookshelves nearby...* 😦

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 14 of 20, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MaxWar wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

But then again,... others might prefer to hold on to them forever instead of selling them in the delusion that they might be useful again some day ( 😊 ),

*Looks at the bookshelves nearby...* 😦

*Shuffles a pile of unused textbooks under the bed with foot*

>_>

<_<

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC

Reply 15 of 20, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What does that make me? I just picked up a bunch of NT4/Backoffice 4.5 books off the street 😊

Reply 16 of 20, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote:

What does that make me? I just picked up a bunch of NT4/Backoffice 4.5 books off the street 😊

You just won, because you didn't actually pay for them 🤣.

Reply 17 of 20, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

badmofo wrote:

Here in New York City, they jaywalk with you.

As for the case, I will be surprised if it comes out in favor of the publisher since that would go against 80+ years of precedent... not that the current Court has been against that when it suits it.

Korea Beat -- my cool translation blog.

Reply 18 of 20, by .fantasista.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

badmofo wrote:

So have I. My parents have told me that when they were kids back in the 60s, though, the police were apparently cracking down on jaywalking. 😖

Reply 19 of 20, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guilliani revived the practice - fines for jaywalking, riding your bike in the park, or riding in the wrong direction, public gatherings without a permit, fines based on weird long forgotten laws and ordinances, etc. etc. He's long gone but the practice hasn't changed. Still a jaywalking fine is pretty rare in my experience - bikers get most of the crap fines I think..