VOGONS

Common searches

Halloween

Topic actions

First post, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So today is Halloween. I don't know about where you guys live, but over here it's a tradition that is still just taking off, with regards to trick or treating and actually having some fun. We are FAR behind the good spirited people across the pond - for now.

But it got me thinking of scary games that I've played over the years. I'm gonna name a few of the more horrific, terrifying games I can remember. See if you agree or disagree, or maybe you played some that I didn't mention?

in no particular order of pant wetting-ness :

System Shock 2 - Absolutely terrifying, first time round back in 1999. I still remember freaking out and throwing my mouse the first time I saw the spiders in that dark room. Unsurpassed for horror IMO.

Doom III - Makes me jump, if I'm honest, when I play it late at night. Maybe too old now to be scared by the atmosphere, but the monster / trap placement ALWAYS catches me out. I smile to mask my fear.

F.E.A.R. - Again, not really a fan (or believer) in the 'supernatural' but this game had amazing gameplay which really used the 'jump' factor well. Freaky enemies too, which were fast. And the first meeting between you and Paxton almost made me fall off my chair first play through.

Horror Quake - A very early mod for Quake 1. Basically two of you play on LAN with the lights out on a large haunted mansion map. One of you is the axe murderer, the other is the 'victim'. This vicious little mod was made to make you shit yourself - and you really do. Unless you're the axe murderer of course. Lots of dark corners to hide in and watch as the 'victim' tiptoes around in utter fear.

Sanitarium - Not a fan of point and click adventures but even the menu system on this game was haunting. Amazingly well drawn and very nightmare-ish.

Amnesia - Probably only scary because of the fact you never, EVER have a weapon. Kinda like playing the victim in Horror Quake. But it was great to see a game like this made, and done so well. If ONLY there was a gun SOMEWHERE.....

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 1 of 3, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Playing as marine in Alien vs Predator.. both the first game and the sequel scared the shit out of me..

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 3, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

We got 3 lots of kids trick-or-treating at our place.

Halloween makes no sense down here though, it's spring!!!

In terms of scary games though, I haven't really been "scared" by games. Too jaded, I think! 😜

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 3 of 3, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think my best "scary game" memories involve playing the Half-Life 2 mod Zombie Panic Source with my friends over LAN. We used to have a friend with a big basement, and we'd go over there pretty regularly to play games like CSS, Warcraft III, TF2, and so on. Sadly that kid is a bit of a jerk so I don't really talk with him much anymore, but the other guys are still my core group of friends. For a few months when we discovered ZPS, we had a blast with it. There were usually around 5-6 of us I believe, and we'd turn the lights out. It was legitimately scary and atmospheric, and we had some great times. This was way back before the mod updated to the Orange Box engine, so it was still pretty new.

Sadly everybody lost interest in it after a bit, and the decreased fun of playing with randoms online rather than friends combined with me not really liking the orange box transition led me to lose interest too. It's still a great mod though, and it's been updated a ton since then, so anyone interested should check it out; I plan to give it another go sometime.

Similar memories with Left4Dead 1, although that we never really lost interest in until 2 came out (which despite everybody on the internet loving it, I never really liked much at all compared to the first one).

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.