VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 80 of 89, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I didn't have much stuttery issues with UT2004 on 7. I do have reduce mouse lag and mouse smoothing both disabled though. Ballistic Weapons + bonus packs on the other hand......... introduce a lot of swapping no matter how much ram you have 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 81 of 89, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:

Well what I don't get is: LCDs were more or less the only kind of display that you could buy for the PC in 2004 so why did they make it like this? And of course it's one of those things where you can't find any information on at all.

Yeah I'd really like to have a bigger tube, my 20" viewable CRT seems so small compared to my 24" 16:10 LCD. Even the Sony FW900 24" CRT is actually only 22.5" viewable but price was incredible. I figure size to cost ratio killed the CRT.

Reply 82 of 89, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CPX7700 wrote:

I can't be sure exactly how well it runs on NT 3.51 because I was using VirtualBox with a generic VESA driver in software renderer mode, but it seemed to run at a high framerate but with stuttering. I am almost positive it is the VM's fault though, because I did not have a proper graphics driver. I'm sure you could run it fine on an actual computer, but NT 3.51 doesn't support Direct3D or Glide as far as I know, so you could only use software rendering or possibly OpenGL. I don't think any decent 3D cards support NT 3.51 so you would be stuck with software rendering. Supposedly, Quake 3 Arena works too. I had to copy IMM32.DLL to my System32 folder (a trivial task) and it seemed to start up fine. I could have played online, but most online servers require a external anti-cheat program only supported by Windows 2000 or later. As for UT itself, I did not have to change any settings, since it was already running in software mode. The SpeedStep problem you mentioned is weird because it does not happen on my quad-core Athlon II computer with Windows 8.

I actually used to own an Athlon II x2 box that I used as a secondary machine before I gave it to one of my friends (ironically the same friend who refuses to give UT a chance due to the laptop issues 😜), and I remember UT ran perfectly on it. I think I even had CnQ enabled as well, though from what I understand it typically behaves differently on desktops than laptops (the one Athlon 64 x2 box being the exception).

Also, I was wondering, does UT have sound when it's played on NT 3.51? From what I understand it uses DirectSound, which doesn't exist on NT 3.51, though I could be wrong.

Reply 83 of 89, by m1so

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It depends on what is an "old game" too. If Counter Strike 1.6, NFS: Underground 2 and World of Warcraft are "old games"", then I don't know any teen who DOESN'T play old games. If you mean DOS games only, the number will be much smaller.

As a side note, some people on the internet stated that there is less than 10000 people in the world who still play old games. I think that it is nonsense as I have 4 friends who play DOS games and I'm from a 25000 people town, but what's your opinion.

In my opinion, more people play Windows 9x/DOS games than CoD or Crysis actually, because the vast majority of world is not "first world". My uncle only had a Pentium 166 MMX until a few years ago (through he is not a gamer, he used it for work and web browsing) and I think that in many less developed countries most computers are still old DOS machines. I have a friend who is 17 now and he only got his first pc 5 years ago, a secondhand 386SX, 16 Mhz (followed by a secondhand MMX Pentium 233, and now he has a new laptop, although it still has a crappy integrated card)!

Really, sometimes it seems that some people think the whole world is the first world where any stupid kid can whine and gets an Xbox 360. I know plenty of people my age who didn't even have a computer until they were 10 or so, I was a lucky one. And Slovakia is comparatively awesome in this regard, I've read that many countries in Latin America and Asia still have Famiclones being sold, not for some stupid pretentious "I am a hyper retro hipser", but for average people in those countries for whom a PS3 costs the same as food for a family of 4 for a month.

Reply 84 of 89, by ixfd64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I spent a lot of my time playing The Incredible Machine 3 and the original Quake during my senior year in high school (2003-2004). 😀

http://facebook.com/ixfd64

Reply 85 of 89, by m1so

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What's funny that Call of Duty is mentioned all the freaking time on the net even through I don't know anyone who actually plays it online in real life. I know a 13 year old boy who plays CS 1.6 online and I know some of his friends do too. I think playing ultra-new games is really only realistic for kids/teens in the top 10 richest countries. He stayed in our house with his mom for 2 weeks last summer, and I showed him Zdoom and he thought it was cool and when I let him on the computer he often played it.

Sorry for ranting but it's true. I know plenty of people no matter what age who play 10 year old games, they are good ay them, plus they run on cheap PCs with integrated GPUs. I am lucky, I have a very good quad core PC, but I still can't seem to get into new games, just configuring the keybinds is a fucking chore already.

Reply 86 of 89, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I play DOS games but I also play BLOPS 😀 It's a fun game and online very similar to Doom in terms of being simple and just shooting stuff.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 87 of 89, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I play DOS games but I also play BLOPS 😀 It's a fun game and online very similar to Doom in terms of being simple and just shooting stuff.

Black Ops (the first one, not the second one) is actually one of the few newer games that I really enjoy playing, and I used to play it over Xbox Live all the time. Granted, the singleplayer sucks, but the multiplayer was ingeniously designed, and it still has one of the best loadout/customization systems I've ever seen on a game (which they kind of ruined on the newer CoD games 😜). I still have an unused Live subscription card kicking around, so maybe I should get back on and finally prestige or something.

m1so wrote:
It depends on what is an "old game" too. If Counter Strike 1.6, NFS: Underground 2 and World of Warcraft are "old games"", then […]
Show full quote

It depends on what is an "old game" too. If Counter Strike 1.6, NFS: Underground 2 and World of Warcraft are "old games"", then I don't know any teen who DOESN'T play old games. If you mean DOS games only, the number will be much smaller.

As a side note, some people on the internet stated that there is less than 10000 people in the world who still play old games. I think that it is nonsense as I have 4 friends who play DOS games and I'm from a 25000 people town, but what's your opinion.

In my opinion, more people play Windows 9x/DOS games than CoD or Crysis actually, because the vast majority of world is not "first world". My uncle only had a Pentium 166 MMX until a few years ago (through he is not a gamer, he used it for work and web browsing) and I think that in many less developed countries most computers are still old DOS machines. I have a friend who is 17 now and he only got his first pc 5 years ago, a secondhand 386SX, 16 Mhz (followed by a secondhand MMX Pentium 233, and now he has a new laptop, although it still has a crappy integrated card)!

Really, sometimes it seems that some people think the whole world is the first world where any stupid kid can whine and gets an Xbox 360. I know plenty of people my age who didn't even have a computer until they were 10 or so, I was a lucky one. And Slovakia is comparatively awesome in this regard, I've read that many countries in Latin America and Asia still have Famiclones being sold, not for some stupid pretentious "I am a hyper retro hipser", but for average people in those countries for whom a PS3 costs the same as food for a family of 4 for a month.

m1so wrote:

What's funny that Call of Duty is mentioned all the freaking time on the net even through I don't know anyone who actually plays it online in real life. I know a 13 year old boy who plays CS 1.6 online and I know some of his friends do too. I think playing ultra-new games is really only realistic for kids/teens in the top 10 richest countries. He stayed in our house with his mom for 2 weeks last summer, and I showed him Zdoom and he thought it was cool and when I let him on the computer he often played it.

Sorry for ranting but it's true. I know plenty of people no matter what age who play 10 year old games, they are good ay them, plus they run on cheap PCs with integrated GPUs. I am lucky, I have a very good quad core PC, but I still can't seem to get into new games, just configuring the keybinds is a fucking chore already.

I'll admit, I was kind of looking at things from a first world-centered perspective, but it's kind of hard not to when you see what kind of games young people here play. Pretty much anyone here who calls themselves a serious gamer owns either an Xbox 360 or a high-end PC, and in some cases they'll even own multiple 360s/PS3s/whatever. The way I was brought up, I didn't always have the latest-and-greatest systems, and somehow I just gained this huge appreciation for older games over the years. In fact, I remember back in the PS2 era, two of the games I played the most were compilations of Intellivision and Atari 2600 titles! 🤣 I played games that were more current too, but there's just something absolutely addictive about those older, more simplistic games.

Another thing I'll note, I don't really consider WoW to be old since it's constantly being updated and it's barely the same game it was back in 2004/2005. CS 1.6 on the other hand, AFAIK is still basically the same game it was 10 years ago, aside from a recent update that improved Linux support and broke a bunch of CVARs. I haven't really played these two games that much though, so I'm just basing this on what I've seen from watching YouTube videos and watching other people play.

Reply 88 of 89, by m1so

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sometimes it seems to me that many "serious gamers" care more about showing out their outrageously priced hardware rather than actually being passionate about playing games, just like there are some car enthusiasts who buy sports cars and then don't really drive them.

I am quite sure that there are millions of people in the world who are passionate about gaming, but don't have the money to buy the newest supermachines. Being a serious gamer does not magically conjure money to buy 10 PS3s and 5 high end PCs.

As for Call of Duty, I am not especially entranced by "realistic FPSs" (it is not goddamned realism unless they show how awful war actually is and I like raw fun FPSs that don't have pretensions of "realism" because a truly realistic FPS game about war would be closer to psychological/survival horror than trigger happy fun) . But I don't really hate the game, I hate many of its players, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykGAVlpkYgA this is why I think most modern online FPS gaming is fail. I play FPS games to have fun and vent rage, not to create rage.

It is not sour grapes on my part either, my PC is specced way beyond the requirements for CoD. I like modern singleplayer FPSs like Bioshock and RPGs like Skyrim, but I would probably go insane if I had to play CoD with awful 10 year olds insulting my family and sexuality 30x a minute.

Reply 89 of 89, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
m1so wrote:
Sometimes it seems to me that many "serious gamers" care more about showing out their outrageously priced hardware rather than a […]
Show full quote

Sometimes it seems to me that many "serious gamers" care more about showing out their outrageously priced hardware rather than actually being passionate about playing games, just like there are some car enthusiasts who buy sports cars and then don't really drive them.

I am quite sure that there are millions of people in the world who are passionate about gaming, but don't have the money to buy the newest supermachines. Being a serious gamer does not magically conjure money to buy 10 PS3s and 5 high end PCs.

As for Call of Duty, I am not especially entranced by "realistic FPSs" (it is not goddamned realism unless they show how awful war actually is and I like raw fun FPSs that don't have pretensions of "realism" because a truly realistic FPS game about war would be closer to psychological/survival horror than trigger happy fun) . But I don't really hate the game, I hate many of its players, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykGAVlpkYgA this is why I think most modern online FPS gaming is fail. I play FPS games to have fun and vent rage, not to create rage.

It is not sour grapes on my part either, my PC is specced way beyond the requirements for CoD. I like modern singleplayer FPSs like Bioshock and RPGs like Skyrim, but I would probably go insane if I had to play CoD with awful 10 year olds insulting my family and sexuality 30x a minute.

I was never trying to imply that being passionate about gaming meant that you could conjure up 500 gaming PCs out of thin air. I was just stating that a lot of people around here who claim to be into gaming tend to be rather extravagant with the systems they own... >_> Myself, I'm fairly passionate about gaming, but I don't really own high end equipment. I do have a desktop that I built myself for playing TF2 back in 2009, and I also have my dad's old Alienware laptop (which is actually kind of a crappy machine 😜), but other than those machines, and a bunch of old consoles that I barely ever use, my gaming setup isn't all that "pimp".

On the topic of modern FPS games, I'm generally not a big fan of them either. Black Ops 1 is an exception, since they managed to craft an incredibly fun and addictive multiplayer experience, but other than that I'm still much more interested in Unreal Tournament/Quake/DooM/Perfect Dark than CoD/Halo/Bioshock/Borderlands/Battlefield/whatever.