Common searches

Hardware you wish you'd never bought.

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 158, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

2 x Logitech G5 mice... both died in under 2 years. They really should put a strain relief where the cable exits the mouse. Both of the mice failed in the same way, and that is some internal wire breakage there.

Logitech G-11 and G-15 keyboards... I hate rubber keys, they are quiet but lifespan sucks. Long live mechanical keyboards.

Logitech turned to hell, they used to make great stuff , but now it's cheap crap.

my MX series stuff still works fine...

Reply 62 of 158, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
awergh wrote:

...even a matrox g400 didn't upset me much when I discovered that the 98 drivers were awful and I pretty much couldn't use it.

Why are you using Matrox G400 drivers from 1998? There are much newer drivers.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 63 of 158, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:
awergh wrote:

...even a matrox g400 didn't upset me much when I discovered that the 98 drivers were awful and I pretty much couldn't use it.

Why are you using Matrox G400 drivers from 1998? There are much newer drivers.

I was meaning the drivers for windows 98. Not sure which year they were from I think I tried different ones but I would sometimes get an error on startup (cant remember what i keep thinking it was a segmentation fault but that doesnt seem right) and sometimes I wouldn't.

It worked great for nt4 apart from the fact it didn't seem to support directx so my dreams of 1600x600 Unreal Tournament were not realised.

Reply 64 of 158, by memsys

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RoyBatty wrote:
2 x Logitech G5 mice... both died in under 2 years. They really should put a strain relief where the cable exits the mouse. Both […]
Show full quote

2 x Logitech G5 mice... both died in under 2 years. They really should put a strain relief where the cable exits the mouse. Both of the mice failed in the same way, and that is some internal wire breakage there.

Logitech G-11 and G-15 keyboards... I hate rubber keys, they are quiet but lifespan sucks. Long live mechanical keyboards.

Logitech turned to hell, they used to make great stuff , but now it's cheap crap.

my MX series stuff still works fine...

About your G5 mice where they the first or the second model?
I have been using my G5 for 4-5 years and it still works just fine and a friend of mine had a G5 that he replaced a month ago due to the scroll wheel breaking after 5 years of intensive use.
Both where the second version.

Reply 65 of 158, by Marek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I once bought an LCD projector with VCD resolution. It was acceptable for most console games and VHS video back then, but nothing more. Still my 1084s had a considerably better image.

leileilol wrote:

All Creative hardware that's not a CD-ROM drive.

Funny, the worst thing I ever got from Creative was a DVD drive. I got it bundled with an MPEG decoder card. The drive was blind after a few month. The decoder still works in an old PC as intended.

DOS-PC: DFI k6bv3+, Pentium 200mmx, 64 MB RAM, Terratec Maestro 32 sound card, Roland MT-32 + SC-155, Winner 2000 AVI 2MB, Voodoo 1, Win98SE
Windows PC: GigaByte GA-MA790GPT, Phenom II X4 905e, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 44, NVidia 1060 6 GB, Win7 pro x64

Reply 66 of 158, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Only thing I regret ever buying was an Olympus Camedia C100 camera (not sure about the model though). Almost never used it and sold it a few years later for very little money.

I mostly regret what I did with/to my hardware (selling/destroying).

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 69 of 158, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I started out as a Maxtor guy. I personally never had a Maxtor fail on me (until they bought Quantum and started slapping "Maxtor" on Quantum drives. My original 210mb Maxtor 7213AT drive still works!!! I mainly bought Maxtor drives because they were cheap (for their size) and reliable. They were certainly neither fast nor quiet though.

It seems every HDD company had their lemons. IBM and Quantum were generally great. The drives I generally hated were made by Western Digital, FuSHITsu and SamDUNG. Seagate made crap in the 90s too. Though modern Western Digital drives seem to be pretty decent however...

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 70 of 158, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

modern seagate drives are pretty shitty.... I won't buy another indefinitely
I had good luck with WD drives and IBMs... I had SamDUNGs fail on me, and I acquired dead FuSHITsu and ToSHITba drives in laptops

it's kind of funny that the worst companies in the world became part of seagate and the best became part of WD...
conner + quantum + maxtor + seagate + samsung = seagate
WD + hitachi = WD

🤣

Reply 71 of 158, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think Maxtors have a somewhat underservedly bad rep here, but I agree that at the moment WD is really up there in terms of quality.

Back to topic, playing the yearly upgrade strategy with regards to my main rigs. It's better to build cutting edge and use it for 4-5 years IMO than go low/ mid end and having to upgrade constantly. Sometimes "expert" advise from the tech sites isn't so expert.

Reply 73 of 158, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ratfink wrote:

i don't think i've had a failure on any drive i bought new - samsung, hitachi, maxtor, wd and seagate.

Same here. Even my Quantum 6.4GB drive I bought new with my Pentium 2 was still working when I replaced it with a 20GB Seagate drive (which also never failed, but was never used as much).

I did have 1 second hand drive fail on me. It was an IBM Deathstar 20gig drive.
One evening I shut down the computer it was in and all was fine. Then the next morning all it did was *clickclickclickclickclick* over and over again.
Shame though, it was really silent. Fortunately I had no precious data on that drive.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 74 of 158, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had do WD BB series drives I bought after reading all the rave reviews - both were dead within a year. Last WD drives I ever bought.

I have outfitted nearly every computer I have with ST340016A drives - in some cases two drives - some are approaching 10-12 years old and all are still going strong.

I disagree with some earlier comments about Conner - they made good drives, but didn't keep up and fell behind technologically

Reply 75 of 158, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The only piece of hardware I can regret purchasing is probably the TTGI 520W PSU I got off ebay a month or so ago. And only because it was DOA with bulging and vented caps. Can't really blame the company or design of the unit, it was manufactured during the cap plague era. Got a refund on it and got to keep the unit, I bet it'll be good to go with a recapping.

On the other thread going here, I can't remember ever having had any hard drive fail on me, at least on their own. Even the old Maxtor 40GB I had in my P4 rig was solid up right up until I retired it in 2008.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 76 of 158, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah, hard drive brand snobbery. One of the more pointless arguments in computing.

I've had HDDs fail from every single brand. The only brands I'd "never buy again" are the ones that don't exist any more.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 77 of 158, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Spea Media FX. Fell for their marketing line of it being MT-32 compatible. Also had issues with Sound Blaster compatible and no FM chip (wavetable substitution). Horrible product.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 79 of 158, by CHiLL72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Several people mention ZIP drives, but it is still a very convenient way to transfer files between anything from an MS-DOS PC up to Windows 7/8..... I bought myself a second hand USB ZIP drive last year and I have a lot of ATAPI ZIP drives, which come in quite handy. I also have a big stack of ZIP disks, so I do not really care if one fails.

I have also bought hardware that I later wished I wouldn't have.... A few ISA soundcards that claimed to be SB Pro compatible, but really were not.

Waveblaster MIDI boards: https://waveblaster.nl - online now!