VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I sit on my arse in front of a computer all day at work and then a couple of hours at home most nights too, and all this sitting is catching up with me. I'm only 35 and get a decent amount of exercise, so if I'm getting back pain now, what it's going to be like when I'm 70?? I have no intention of spending less time on a computer.

Having a standing desk at work isn't really an option at this stage, but I'm thinking about setting myself one up at home to see if it helps. Has anyone here tried one? Any tips?

Reply 1 of 2, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Take a look at this article, it's very interesting:

http://cirrie.buffalo.edu/encyclopedia/en/article/190/

Or, if you want the TL;DR "executive summary": changing posture often is infinitely more important than a supposedly "good" posture.

Even maintaining a "correct" posture for prolonged periods of time is harmful.

It may sound funny, but doing the "pelvic thrust" movement often while you're sitting makes a HUGE difference to minimize the back pain. Of course, it's always better to get out of the chair every hour and do some exercises to flex and extend the spine. The more you move, the better.

Reply 2 of 2, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the link, interesting read.

I'm actually not too bad at keeping myself moving at my desk - shoulder rolls, etc. I stretch most nights to some degree and like I say I get a decent amount of exercise; I ride a pushbike to work so it's pretty low impact.

But I still wake up stiff and get headaches, etc, and I know it's back related. It's not a big deal at this stage, more just frustrating. I gotta do something though before it becomes a problem.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.