VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Back in the early 90's, when I was still running MS-DOS and most of my software came from mail order catalogs or BBS's.. I came across the most amazing music player. I remember it was blue in color and had a tripped out EQ. But what was really awesome, was that that some of the files it played had voice. I think I had "Big in Japan" and 4-5 other tracks, some of which had voice. I keep thinking the format was "STV" but my memory isn't what it used to be. Anyone know what this was?

edit: I think it may have been MOD or a variation of it, like S3M?

WIP: 486DX2/66, 16MB FastPage RAM, TsengLabs ET4000 VLB
Check out my Retro-Ghetto build (2016 Update) 😀
Commodore 128D, iBook G3 "Clamshell"
3DO M2, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GBC

Reply 1 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You probably heard one of the many "reproductions" of commercial music in .MOD format. There are plenty of them (and way too much Depeche Mode and 2Unlimited at that)

Also, I think I may know the exact music player you're talking about.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 12, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I remember being impressed by the WOWII player by Jan Ole Suhr when playing MOD files on my PC with an SBPro2 and AR 570 desktop speakers. ModeX graphics, fast per-channel oscilloscopes, and stereo sound better than any other player I had heard at the time.

Attachments

• wowii.png
    Filename
    wowii.png
    File size
    9.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 12, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I *think* this was the one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=N3k-nAkhiCU

More info here:
http://www.awe.com/mark/dev/modplay.html

WIP: 486DX2/66, 16MB FastPage RAM, TsengLabs ET4000 VLB
Check out my Retro-Ghetto build (2016 Update) 😀
Commodore 128D, iBook G3 "Clamshell"
3DO M2, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GBC

Reply 6 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember running Winamp on my 486 under Windows 95. It was juuuust barely capable of playing a MOD file without skipping if I didn't try to do anything else at the same time. (Goold ol' Catch That Goblin!)

There was one MOD player that was less resource-intensive that worked with AWE cards, but I seem to recall it wouldn't work with the tiny amount included by default on an AWE64.

Anyway, someone mentioned a while ago that apparently PopCap's games still use tracker music.

simbin wrote:

edit: I think it may have been MOD or a variation of it, like S3M?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Module_file has a list of a bunch of different formats.

Reply 7 of 12, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
simbin wrote:

I think I had "Big in Japan"

Hahaha, I had the same one.
http://cd.textfiles.com/ultimatemodc/MODS/A/ALPHAVIL.MOD

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 8 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

There was one MOD player that was less resource-intensive that worked with AWE cards, but I seem to recall it wouldn't work with the tiny amount included by default on an AWE64.

Cubic Player is very fast and has AWE support.

WinAMP's in_mod sucks, and was introduced way after the 486's prime 😀 what I used for windows then was Modplug Player 1.2x

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 12, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

WinAMP's in_mod sucks, and was introduced way after the 486's prime 😀 what I used for windows then was Modplug Player 1.2x

Oh man, remember MOD4WIN? Shit was pro.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 10 of 12, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Oh man, remember MOD4WIN? Shit was pro.

The final version was free. Still use it on my machine as it does hardware playback on the Dream 9407 chip.

Reply 11 of 12, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MOD4WIN is ok as long as you get hardware playback running. This even works within NT4 with some additional configuration. As Rich stated it even supports the Dream9407 native (well Kay Bruns worked also for Terratecs EWS64 software).
There are somequirks still, as f.e. XM playback draws still a lot of CPU with native GUS and no IT support.

I usually use XTC-Play in Multitasking Mode as background player in Win on older computers with hardware accelerated sound cards.

Cubic Player is also ok, but requires a bit more CPU power. Also GUS PnP hardware support was not working reliable. The options for visual presentation and live changing of playback devices, interpolation etc. are very advanced.

For background playing in DOS the capamod_tsr is compatible.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 12 of 12, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cubic Player was by far the best... it lives on as OpenCP but requires VDMSound to work last time I played with it... I'm pretty sure it works in DOSBox too

you don't know what "mod files" are unless you experienced demos from people like Future Crew