VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A local guy is selling some old computers. As I don't have much knowlegde of pre-486 stuff I'm asking if anyone can tell me if this is worth the price or not. He is asking about 150 dollars for everything I think and is open for offers.

Computers:
Olivetti M28 (PC - ca 1982)
Apollo Domain DN3000 (ca 1987)
Macintosh Classic (PC ca 1990)

Printers:
Imagewriter (ca 1983)
Apple Laser Writer II (ca 1987)
Apple Personal Laser Writer (ca 1990)

00_1304118938.jpg
55_933838417.jpg

Anything worth looking into?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1 of 18, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Mac, definitely. What you want to do is look at the label under the lip that sticks out below the monitor and see if it says M0001 or M0001W. M0001 is the original 128k Mac and the M0001W is the 512k model. You also have to be sure it hasn't been upgraded to a Plus. If the label on the back says Macintosh Plus, then it's been upgraded and isn't worth as much. A 128k or 512k machine that hasn't been tampered with is worth pretty good money these days so if you can pick it up cheap, then grab it.

Since he is asking $150 for the whole lot, I'd just take the entire deal and sort out the winners from the losers later so as not to look like you know something he doesn't. That Mac alone is going to be worth more than $150 by itself. Just the old style and keyboard and mouse would get $150 on a good day on ebay.

Oh, and if you get it, be sure you grab all the software and any accessories they may have lying around. Some of that stuff is as hard to find as the computers themselves.

Reply 2 of 18, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Olivetti M28 is a neat, and pretty uncommon, 286 machine, basically an updated version of the M24 (aka, AT&T PC6300). I dunno how much it'd actually be worth, but it'd be a nice thing to have to play around with.

The Apollo Domain machine is also very cool... I'd say it's more interesting than anything else in that lot. It's a 68K Unix workstation that uses a mostly standard AT-style desktop case, regular PC drives, and ISA slots (albeit with special drivers required). Again, I don't know how much it's worth, because I've never seen one for sale.

Reply 3 of 18, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What about that 4th computer, Apple-looking, in the background on the 'printer table'..? Included as well ? His ad does only mention 3 computers it seems... Ask him ?

As for bidding, I have a feeling the 1000kr asking price is normally a starting point for UPwards bidding...
But then again, the old picture dates could be signs of this having been for sale earlier, and you might get it for say 500kr(or less!) if you convey that you're going to take good care of the stuff.
I got mine for free(!) after some messaging, but cost me 700kr in postage, for just a single machine+monitor+extras...!

Hence I assume you live close by, as the shipping cost would otherwise be quite painful... 🤣
(and high risk of damage, as their packing skills are normally on the level of a third-grader... sigh...)

- Now, IMHO, I think that what it is 'worth' on ebay is not that important (for this price range anyway), unless you actually plan to sell any of it later.

If you are genuinly interested in that hardware catagory (Apple/pre 486), and have a normal income/not unemployed etc, paying even 100-300kr more is not a deal breaker, seeing how rarely these items come up for sale in this region nowadays.
Vs the perils of buying and shipping these things via ebay(international) I mean.
For 250-350kr per (working) machine, it IS relatively cheap, I think.
In the end, it all comes down to your personal cost-benefit evaluation...

And these even seem to have been taken well care of(+ hard? to find extras), not dumpster finds or stored rusting in a barn for several years here.
(I've received stuff that had actual sheep wool inside the cabinets, and the smell....!).

PS:
the 67 year old seller seems to be 'CEO'(retired?) of "Off-Tech Data A/S", so these relics are probably remnants from that company. I.e. not much 'gaming-related' installed...

Reply 5 of 18, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What about that 4th computer, Apple-looking, in the background on the 'printer table'..? Included as well ? His ad does only mention 3 computers it seems... Ask him ?

It's either a Classic or Classic II. They look pretty much the same, so it's hard to say which. There's something odd going on under the floppy slot though... I can't tell what that dark thing is. It may just be a sticker, but it's also possible it could be some sort of interesting modification.

Reply 6 of 18, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bestemor wrote:

PS:
the 67 year old seller seems to be 'CEO'(retired?) of "Off-Tech Data A/S", so these relics are probably remnants from that company. I.e. not much 'gaming-related' installed...

How the hell do you know this? What kind of free computer did you get earlier?

No mention of that 4th computer which is in the background in the ad. Could be as you said old pictures and he has sold it previously, or that it's not for sale at all.

I would like to pick up all of them, but the problem is space.. I don't really have room for all of them, which is a shame.. Maybe I'll go for one of them. The Olivetti or the Mac, as I have no idea what on earth I'm supposed to use the Apollo machine for.

I'll contact him and ask for more details regarding both the Olivetti and the Macintosh.

Reply 7 of 18, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:
bestemor wrote:

PS:

How the hell do you know this? What kind of free computer did you get earlier?

Heh, I did get that one from a totally different person a couple of years ago, but the ad/listing was on that same site you found these current machines... 🤣 🤣 Sorry about my confusing wording ("mine" referring to 'prehistoric computer' gotten on Finn).
Even so, what I got was an IBM PC 5150 +5153 CGA monitor, fully working, still.

As for how I know, well, I could be wrong, but google is your friend, sometimes L.O.L..... 😁
(that, and some basic deduction...)

- Suggestions:
If you are going to ask him, ask about that 4th machine as well, AND if he has ANY other goodies/crap/parts stashed away, not thinking it would be worth selling. Maybe there are some boxes with extra stuff available. AND if he has the original packing boxes(!) for the Mac(s) or the PC's and monitors. Assuming you are not interested in the printers as well.

As for the Apollo machine, old style AT-cases are quite rare now, so you could use it to house a 486 or what-have-you(mATX C2D!) inside, if it has somewhat standard innards that is...

Here are some pics(granted, this is the 3500, but..), looks like it can double as a normal AT-cabinet(?):
http://www.supervinx.com/Retrocomputer/Apollo … 43-01014866.JPG
http://www.supervinx.com/Retrocomputer/Apollo … 41-01014862.JPG
http://www.supervinx.com/Retrocomputer/Apollo … 58-01014881.JPG
...etc :
http://www.supervinx.com/Retrocomputer/Apollo/DN3500/01/

http://jim.rees.org/apollo-archive/
http://mit.edu/kolya/www/csa-faq.html

And yes, I feel your pain on the 'space issue'....! 😢 😢
- But you could take say (both?) the Apple(s?) and just the Olivetti 'box' without monitor - assuming you have working CGA/EGA monitors already.
And perhaps that Apple printer with the spare sealed(!) printer ribbon.

Or, just MAKE room for all of it...! 😁 (kjellerbod?)
As it will most likely be years until the next time such things gets listed locally...

Reply 8 of 18, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As for the Apollo machine, old style AT-cases are quite rare now, so you could use it to house a 486 or what-have-you(mATX C2D!) inside, if it has somewhat standard innards that is...

Seriously? AT cases aren't that rare, and they certainly aren't anywhere near as rare or interesting as a complete Apollo workstation. If such machines don't interest you, fine, then leave the damn thing for somebody else who is. Don't go trashing something like that just to make it into another mundane PC clone.

Reply 9 of 18, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Seriously? AT cases aren't that rare, and they certainly aren't anywhere near as rare or interesting as a complete Apollo workstation. If such machines don't interest you, fine, then leave the damn thing for somebody else who is. Don't go trashing something like that just to make it into another mundane PC clone.

I would never have the heart or the brain to destroy a rare machine like that for that purpose.

Anyway, I've contacted the seller via email and asked for more details. Lets see what he says 😀

Reply 10 of 18, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Now now, hold your horses.... it was merely a suggestion for alternative use - as OP had no earthly idea what to actually use it for.... !
And I cannot imagine the seller would bother with shipping it abroad(it would also cost several $100!), and the local interest for such things is positively quite low(I cannot imagine there exists any 'somebody else' here), hence better get some use of the hardware, than it getting all recycled.... ?

And, AT-cases are NOT that commonplace around these parts of the world!
Most 'old' parts gets very quickly chucked out, and retro-items (PC) have to be imported most of the time.... 😖
But with USA sellers not really keen on shipping anything to me, even that is hard to do.

Nintendo/Sega/ZX-spectrum etc on the other hand, are more frequently collected and sold here.

But I agree this Apollo is more of a museum worthy item....

In the late 1980s, Apollo introduced a revolutionary new pair of machines. The DN3000 and DN4000 used 68k processors, but were housed in IBM PC style cases of the time and had IBM-AT compatible ISA expansion slots and PC-compatible disk drives. These became the mainstay of the Apollo range in the mid to late 1980s. In principle, a user or third party could install a standard AT expansion card, but since this required the writing of a special device driver, in practice this was very rare. However, the size and design of the boxes made installing or replacing components very easy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo/Domain

Reply 11 of 18, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This looks more like a collector's lot. The Mac Classic is pretty weakly specced, I don't use mine at all since I got an SE/30. It's also worth more like $75 than $150. The Olivetti is just a 286, IMO kind of boring to drop $50 on. Wolf 3d is going to suck on it, and it's probably too fast for Castle Wolfenstein. And the Apollo is fairly unique, but not a gaming machine.

From a computer history perspective, it's a fair deal. For a gamer, I'd haggle down to $100 at most.

Reply 12 of 18, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hatta wrote:

This looks more like a collector's lot. The Mac Classic is pretty weakly specced, I don't use mine at all since I got an SE/30. It's also worth more like $75 than $150. The Olivetti is just a 286, IMO kind of boring to drop $50 on. Wolf 3d is going to suck on it, and it's probably too fast for Castle Wolfenstein. And the Apollo is fairly unique, but not a gaming machine.

From a computer history perspective, it's a fair deal. For a gamer, I'd haggle down to $100 at most.

The Mac that is turned on in the foreground is not a Mac Classic. It is either a 128k or 512k. If it was a Classic it would say Macintosh Classic next to the Apple logo in the lower left. An unmolested 128k can go for $1000 or more since Steve Jobs died. The one in the background looks like a Classic or Classic II.

Here's one on ebay that sold recently with an Imagewriter printer for $1500

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Macintosh-128K-d … =item27cce4e674

Reply 13 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

The Mac that is turned on in the foreground is not a Mac Classic. It is either a 128k or 512k. If it was a Classic it would say Macintosh Classic next to the Apple logo in the lower left. An unmolested 128k can go for $1000 or more since Steve Jobs died.

Does it matter if the case is yellowed or not, or do they all look like that now?

Reply 14 of 18, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I did think it looked different than mine. In that case buying it might be a good investment, but you'll get even less gaming enjoyment out of it. Buy the lot, flip the Mac, and then see what you want to do with the rest.

Reply 15 of 18, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:
sliderider wrote:

The Mac that is turned on in the foreground is not a Mac Classic. It is either a 128k or 512k. If it was a Classic it would say Macintosh Classic next to the Apple logo in the lower left. An unmolested 128k can go for $1000 or more since Steve Jobs died.

Does it matter if the case is yellowed or not, or do they all look like that now?

The cases on those old Macs were beige until late production Mac Pluses. Look at some of the pictures on ebay. The platinum Apples didn't come along until later. I have both beige and platinum Mac Pluses. The Mac Classic should be platinum. If there is a lot of yellowing on that one, it would reduce the value but it looks like it might have some sort of upgrade inside from the black markings on the front so that would push it back up depending on the nature of the upgrade.

And yeah, if it's 128k there's not much software that actually runs on it with so little memory. It's more of an investment/novelty than something you would want to put to use. If you wanted a compact Mac to use, then I'd get a Plus or an SE.

Reply 16 of 18, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got an reply back from the seller. He didn't answer much, only said that the Mac had a 40mb harddrive, which makes me think it is a Machintosh Classic (also since he mentioned it was from 1990). The Mac in the background was already sold. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_Classic. He has all the original receipts and a Macintosh bag to carry the computer in (not pictured).

The Olivetti also has a internal harddrive, unknown size he said. He mentioned he had different hardware for sale, also 8" floppies, magnet tape, and more. I asked for a followup on this 😀

Last edited by vetz on 2012-12-19, 00:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 18, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

Got an reply back from the seller. He didn't answer much, only said that the Mac had a 40mb harddrive, which makes me think it is a Machintosh Plus (also since he mentioned it was from 1990). The Mac in the background was already sold. He has all the original receipts and a Macintosh bag to carry the computer in (not pictured). I've sent back asking for confirmation is it's the 128k, 512k or the Plus.

The Olivetti also has a internal harddrive, unknown size he said. He mentioned he had different hardware for sale, also 8" floppies, magnet tape, and more. I asked for a followup on this 😀

It could be an external drive or it could be the Mac Classic with the hard drive. The 128k, 512k and Plus don't have hard drive brackets inside. They didn't start being made with internal hard drives until the SE came out.

Reply 18 of 18, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Damn you're quick 😜

Updated my last post while you replied. I agree it's a Classic as he also wrote that in the ad, but I thought it was referring to the "classic" Machintosh model.