VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by s3freak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Seeing that there is no dedicated section on this forum to introduce myself, unlike another forum that is for a specific series of video games, I thought I would create a new thread in this section for that purpose.

DOSBox is one of my favorite "virtualization" tools from the mid 2000s for running DOS games, as well as other retro software such as Windows 3.1. I understand that DOSBox is primarily for DOS games, but I also use and customize it for other purposes tool. I also use other virtualization tools such as VirtualBox and VMware for running more modern games and software such as Labyrinth on Windows XP.

I don't have that much experience with programming. However, I did learn it during my academia where I definitely have enough experience to at least patch -p 1; ./autogen.sh; ./configure; make; make install, etc. Therefore, some of my programming related posts may be noobish to you.

I have been tweaking the DOSBox S3 Trio graphics controller to suit my needs and is one of the components of DOSBox which is of greatest interest, hence my username, S3Freak. I did actually own a real 1MB S3 Trio64+ graphics card that came with one of my previous PCs in the late 1990s. Although it was thrown away, I won a very similar one, 2MB S3 Trio64V2/DX, on eBay yesterday. I also have a real genuine Sound Blaster 16 which is now more of a collectors item as I no longer have ISA slots!

With the rise of virtualization, I no need to have so many separate PCs where I can combine many into a few with such technology. I used to have a PC that worked well with retro software until it broke because the capacitors had leaked significantly. Because of DOSBox and other virtualization tools, I now no longer need for a dedicated retro PC.

By registering on this forum, I hope to be able to share my patches, ask questions and answer others, as well as helping other DOSBox users including non games.

Reply 2 of 7, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi, welcome to the forum! 😁

leileilol wrote:

i've been Z:\ldgfxrom'ing the S3 Trio64v+ bios dumped off my card just fine to regain the limited VBE which even s3vbe can unlimit again

Come again?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 4 of 7, by s3freak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies. Here comes another long and geeky post.

I have been inactive for a few weeks as I have been "forking" DOSBox for myself, refreshing my programming skills and has almost come to the point where almost every customisation that I wanted has been fulfilled. I will outline the changes that I have made at a later date and release patches if anyone is interested. For now, I will just outline Windows 3.1.

I have a patch that will allows you to use ALT+TAB, ALT+ESC and CTRL+ESC in Windows 3.1 itself. This setting is controlled by the taskswitchlock option in dosbox.conf where the default is off so that you can continue to ALT+TAB out of DOS games, especially when someone is coming! Also, the S3 Trio video memory is configurable in dosbox.conf where the default is 2MB. If you use 4MB, you can use 1024x768 in 16M colours in Windows 3.1 instead of 800x600. I have also applied Daum's file locking patch so that I can use apps that relies on SHARE.EXE.

Although I use VMWare for other OS's, DOSBox in my opinion is still the best "virtualisation" solution for Windows 3.1 as well as DOS games and apps. This is especially due to the S3 Trio emulation that VMware doesn't have and there are also no drivers for Windows 3.1 apart from "hacking" the standard "Super VGA" driver which gives 1024x768 but non accelerated in 256 colours. Similarly, although VMware can emulate the Sound Blaster 16, it doesn't emulate OPL MIDI, unlike DOSBox. Although Virtual PC emulates both of them, I do not find it as good as DOSBox. Credit for the DOSBox authors!

My 486 is my real DOSBox, as well as my customised DOSBox!
I am not very active on VOGONS, please send a private message if you need a quicker response!