Computing pet-peeves

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 127, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:
WolverineDK wrote:

When I actually saw his system it had 11 toolbars displayed in Internet Explorer. It took 5 minutes to close them because of how slow his system runs. When I tried to do a google search something called TheSeaApp appeared on the left side and kept coming back when I closed it.

I really hate these damn toolbars, most of them are useless and they slowdown your browser

That's probably caused because when people install programs they just click next,next,next without even looking when it says You want to install this crap toolbar? 🤣

2611708.png

Reply 23 of 127, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I offered to fix an old blokes PC recently thinking it would be simple matter of turning off a few toolbars but, much to my disappointing, it turned out to be bad caps. This was in a HP Phenom based thing, 2006 era!

Several weeks and a few eBay bids later I had a new motherboard in it, and then the real work started. It had 4 accounts on it (Vista), password protection which I had to guess my way through because the one he gave me didn't work (Vista gives you a hint - lucky I know this bloke's dog's names), and then so much awful crap installed that it was struggling to boot. And this brings me to my pet peeve - out of date virus scanners. He had trend micro installed which is a particularly nasty one, and it was out of date. So not only was it killing his machine, it wasn't doing any protecting anyway.

Eventually I got it sorted out - installed a couple of years of updates (including a service pack!) and put Microsoft Security Essentials on (bag it if you must, but I think it's a good option for most users) and it was running like a dream.

This isn't the first time I've had to launch a full on renovation rescue after agreeing to "look" at someone's PC, next time I'll think twice!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 24 of 127, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another thing that annoys me is when people don't properly set up their machines in such a way to facilitate proper cooling. I've seen far too many cases shoved into tiny corners with the fan vents all clogged with dust and cat hair. 🤣

Reply 25 of 127, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NitroX infinity wrote:

Your phone doesn't have _better_ pixel density, it has a _higher_ pixel density and you can't use it for a pc/laptop monitor or tv because you keep your phone closer to your eyes than those monitors/pc's. If you had the same pixel density on your tv as on your phone, you wouldn't be able to read most of the writing nor would you be able to see many details.

Not necessarily.

If your OS isn't retarded, it will scale the UI to match the screen's DPI.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 26 of 127, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tincup wrote:

But seriously, it's people who type most ACAD commands!

You can tell a seasoned AutoCAD user by whether or not he types his commands in.

The first AutoCAD I used was AutoCAD 12. No toolbars here, but you generally had a tablet menu on your digitiser then, too.

It's especially good now with their ribbon interface, leaving you hunting for everything. z [enter] e [enter] is quicker than hunting down the zoom extents button. 😀

Reply 27 of 127, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

If they're really fully updated, don't you have to reinstall the next distro update every year or two (if not more frequently) ?

Back-porting is another good thing in some distros. But burning a distro DVD is not hard either with the newest version of it on. But then there is also long term support, or what ever it is called version of that distro.

Plus you can usually upgrade from one release to the current one with one command, because the only difference between releases is the versions of packages they ship with.

In Ubuntu "sudo do-release-upgrade" and you're done.

Reply 29 of 127, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

HRM, so many things to agree with here. Now to think of one of my own... ah yes!

Know it all computer users who just treat everyone with disrespect and sarcasm no matter their knowledge level. Same ones get aggro when you teach them or correct them on something.

People who think just because you're a "computer guy", you work for free.

Software that goes to hell after awhile because the authors can't think of any new USEFUL features and end up just bloating/ruining said software.

ATi drivers (Comply with OGL standards already ya f****** retards!).

Reply 30 of 127, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Last time I upgraded Ubuntu was a irrecoverable regretful disaster. 🙁

I then installed Windows 7.

Hm. I haven't done it on a desktop before, just my hosted VM.

I've gone from 10 to 11 to 12 successfully, but then again it's a pretty simple setup compared to a typical desktop. No Xorg or anything graphical.

Edit: I just noticed that I triple-posted just there... Oops!

Reply 31 of 127, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

(real-world phone conversation, circa 1999 or so)

Me: What operating system is installed on your computer?

Customer: AOL.

Me: No, it couldn't be AOL. But rather, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, etc...

Customer: NO! I have AOL for my desktop!

Me: That's not you're operating system (or Windows desktop). AOL is what provides you with online Internet access. What I'm refering to is what version of Windows that you have installed on your computer?

Customer: NO! I DON'T HAVE WINDOWS! I HAVE AOL!!!!!!

Me (using the 'stick up his ass' sounding AOL man voice): We will now forward your call to AOL technical support. Goodbye...

<click>

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 32 of 127, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The bloatware thats now know as Adobe Acrobat Reader, and Adobe Flash, how Adobe could let it get to its current state is beyond me, luckily there is Foxit reader to replace Acrobat.

HP Printer drivers, I mean 900 Megs for a printer driver, what changed since 98 when they use to be 980Kb, and the fact that it installs EVERYWHERE, and the scanner stops working if the printer is out of ink 😮 .

Having to fix random strangers computers for free, because they notice you own a few.

"But my friend told me XYZ" when your trying to fix something for the above stranger.

Desktop used as dumping ground, for everything, from the person above.

Multiple out of date anti-virus software installed, almost always McAfee(that was bundled with there motherboard) and a 3 day trail of Norton AV, that they installed in a panic.

The stranger later trying to blame you for breaking everything, even after showing him all the viruses and malware he got from a pr0n website.

The "But it use to work fine"/"Ive allways done that" excuse, goes with the above.

12 Year old "IT engineers" ,trying to lecture you.

Fixing a computer that the 12yo above managed to somehow break a ram socket, and strip all the screws inside the case...

Windows 8.

People buying there 4 year old a R14000+ ($1300+) computers then wonder why they brake after there kids messed with it.

When some one leaves things for me on my keyboard, like paperwork, books,greasy food, boxes filled with heavy lead.

People fitting hard drives upside down, incorrectly connecting the PWR and HDD leds on the motherboard.

Family members using your accounts at computer distributes to buy things for themselves without informing you. (not computer usage related)

The redundancy paradox, AKA: Time to upgrade even though I dont need it.

PEOPLE THROWING OUT WORKING OLD HARDWARE, due to the above.

/The End.

Reply 33 of 127, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How often this comes buy on a techforum I visit daily, it always puts a smile on my face. I'm still on the same computer I assembled back in November/December 2008 and it's still good enough for me. And it wasn't a high-end system.

Something I find highly annoying; people claiming that if it isn't a high-end videocard, it's not meant for gaming.

Oh, really? Then what the hell have I been doing with my mainstream HD 4670 all these years? You mean to tell me those weren't games? 😜

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 34 of 127, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NitroX infinity wrote:
How often this comes buy on a techforum I visit daily, it always puts a smile on my face. I'm still on the same computer I assem […]
Show full quote

How often this comes buy on a techforum I visit daily, it always puts a smile on my face. I'm still on the same computer I assembled back in November/December 2008 and it's still good enough for me. And it wasn't a high-end system.

Something I find highly annoying; people claiming that if it isn't a high-end videocard, it's not meant for gaming.

Oh, really? Then what the hell have I been doing with my mainstream HD 4670 all these years? You mean to tell me those weren't games? 😜

I agree a 100%, up to recently ive been gaming on a geforce 220 😉

And that reminds me, another one is , people or recommending to buying way to big PSUs for the systems on forums and online, instead of calculating whats actually needed, Ex: 1.2KW PSU in a system that only needs a 650W at max...

Reply 35 of 127, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FaSMaN wrote:

Having to fix random strangers computers for free, because they notice you own a few.

I have the opposite experience. People keep trying to shove money into my hand when I feel like I didn't do that much work on their system.

FaSMaN wrote:

PEOPLE THROWING OUT WORKING OLD HARDWARE, due to the above.

My father found a laptop that had been thrown away. After replacing a cracked screen and resetting the password he had a working Win7 system.
I got a laptop 3 months ago. Turns out I had to reflow the GPU with a hairdryer to get it working.
I got another laptop this month because the owner didn't know how to use it and asked if I could do something with it.

NitroX infinity wrote:

Heh, I've been using a GeForce 8800 GTX and only now started to notice new games running slow.

Reply 36 of 127, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GXL750 wrote:

Why hasn't the VGA port died yet, why are there so many different display connectors and why does my phone have better pixel density than most new laptops?

It practically has. You really only see it on low end video cards, motherboards and laptops, I'm guessing because the royalty to use it is cheaper. Even DVI is starting to go away now. DisplayPort and HDMI are pushing all the older interfaces aside.

The reason your phone has better pixel density is because it is easier to make a high density small screen without a lot of dead pixels than it is to make a larger one of the same density without a lot of dead pixels. That is one of the reasons why 30" LCD's are so expensive. They don't get as good a yield on the screens as they get with smaller screens because of the dead pixel issue. When you pay thousands of dollars for a monitor, you don't want to see a single dead or malfunctioning pixel anywhere on it. Manufacturers usually consider 2 or 3 dead pixels on a cheaper monitor to be acceptable but not their flagship products. They are trying to cater to a different type of consumer with those and those people are usually much more demanding than the average consumer so dead pixels simply aren't acceptable. I can only imagine the number of screens that fail quality control and get trashed so as not to sully the reputation of the manufacturer.

Reply 37 of 127, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

software that seems to think it's ok to slow down booting to a crawl

linux's crap support for hardware and linux geeks who point you at useless wiki's that are inconsistent, full of dead ends and incomplete or contradictory documentation, etc

the hypocrisy that i think is rife in geekdom, eg the anti-m$ crowd who moaned about so-called security in 95, integration of IE in windows, and bsod's, and who now crow about the wonders of linux, google, android and chrome... linux is far more problem-prone than windows for even a semi-literate user; android's multiple users is utterly laughable and not a far cry from 95's without the password; google seem completely untrustworthy and seem to do exactly what they complained about m$ doing in terms of tying people in and keeping competitor's out. and my effing android tablet needs more hard resets than my m$ boxes ever do, and that's without anything out of the mainstream installed./rant off

people and their android and iphones who sneer about my nokia windows phone. bah.

old mp3's not working on current devices but used to work on my old boxes

Reply 38 of 127, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ratfink wrote:

google seem completely untrustworthy and seem to do exactly what they complained about m$ doing in terms of tying people in and keeping competitor's out.

Everyone likes to complain about "the man" keeping them down until they become "the man" and then they can do no wrong. Just look at Apple.