Computing pet-peeves

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 127, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

And I do not know why people keep saying keyboard and mouse are better than a game controller because I never have any problems using a controller, but almost always have problems with keyboard and mouse mainly due to the fact that I don't always remember what keys I mapped different things to so I end up pressing the wrong key a lot. With a game controller it is easier to remember where everything is and all the buttons are at my fingertips. I don't have to waste time trying to remember where the thing I need is or looking for the button. It becomes instinctive after a while with a controller.

Some people are more comfortable with controllers and i can use them fine too, but i still think you can't beat a mouse for accuracy and speed when it comes to FPS games (that's my opinion anyway)... I have no issues with the keyboard either as one of the first things i do before playing is remap some of the keys 😀.

An average player using keyboard and mouse is most likely to win against a top player using a controller in the same match.

Reply 61 of 127, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sheath wrote:

I hate it when people touch the screen to point something out. Which reminds me, I hate touch screen devices for encouraging bad behavior.

I'm very touchy about this subject too.
Also when people are happily using crts with the refresh rate set to 60Hz and don't realize it.
🤐

BGWG as in Boogie Woogie.

Reply 62 of 127, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PowerPie5000 wrote:

I'm going to assume this is for an old PC? Best stick to a CRT as any native 4:3 LCD screen is going to be old with a high response time (lots of ghosting/streaking). You can still have 4:3 aspect with a 16:9 or 16:10 screen, but it will have black bars on each side.

Yes, it's for three old PCs. 🤣
I'm just annoyed that there isn't a single decent LCD out there which is suitable for retro gaming without having to accept a lot of compromises.

The best thing I could come up with after years of searching and testing LCD screens is my current Samsung 2443 monitor (1920x1200, TN panel). It does aspect-correct scaling, the interpolation is acceptable, it doesn't drop frames at 70Hz and it even displays weird VGA modes (well, most of them).
On the other hand the viewing angles are a joke, the colors are strange and the alleged 5ms response time doesn't seem fast enough to avoid ghosting.

Maybe I'm just too picky about this...

Reply 63 of 127, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
5u3 wrote:
Yes, it's for three old PCs. :lol: I'm just annoyed that there isn't a single decent LCD out there which is suitable for retro g […]
Show full quote
PowerPie5000 wrote:

I'm going to assume this is for an old PC? Best stick to a CRT as any native 4:3 LCD screen is going to be old with a high response time (lots of ghosting/streaking). You can still have 4:3 aspect with a 16:9 or 16:10 screen, but it will have black bars on each side.

I'm just annoyed that there isn't a single decent LCD out there which is suitable for retro gaming without having to accept a lot of compromises.

The best thing I could come up with after years of searching and testing LCD screens is my current Samsung 2443 monitor (1920x1200, TN panel). It does aspect-correct scaling, the interpolation is acceptable, it doesn't drop frames at 70Hz and it even displays weird VGA modes (well, most of them).
On the other hand the viewing angles are a joke, the colors are strange and the alleged 5ms response time doesn't seem fast enough to avoid ghosting.

TN panels definitely have the fastest response times when it comes to LCD's these days (some are rated 1ms & 2ms). The best TN screen i've ever owned was a 24" LG W2442PE-BF... The viewing angles were quite good, the colours were great after calibrating and i experienced no input lag or ghosting/streaking at all! Unfortunately it developed a fault and couldn't be replaced, so i bought an LG IPS235V-BN (IPS screen) instead. It's a decent enough monitor for the price, but not perfect.

Reply 64 of 127, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
5u3 wrote:
Yes, it's for three old PCs. :lol: I'm just annoyed that there isn't a single decent LCD out there which is suitable for retro g […]
Show full quote

I don't think you're too picky, it makes a big difference. I tied playing a game from 2002 on my LCD recently and it looked awful, so switched to my Windows 98 machine with Sony CRT and it looks as it should; great colours and clarity.

I've stockpiled a couple of new CRT's in the shed because there's still no talk (that I've heard) of a display technology that doesn't scale a non-native image.

Reply 65 of 127, by Tiremaster400

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

-I hate it when people type a website's address into the google search bar instead of the address bar

-Hate internet ads. Seems that half of the internet now is fucking ads and people trying to get rich off of typing bullshit articles with ad links and affiliate bullshit. Youtube is full of ads. Ads before and after a video. At home I use google chrome with full adblock so fuck your ad you are not getting anything from me.

-Fucking hate Adobe Acrobat. It is such a misbehaving program. It will bring the computers at work to their knees. The service manual we use at work is powered by adobe and is very processor intensive.

-Hate it when using the Panosonic Toughbook at work to pull diagnostic trouble codes from a car and the fucking service manual pops up without requesting it that is powered by said Adobe causing the Panosonic Toughbook to crawl and make my job harder.

Reply 66 of 127, by Tiremaster400

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

-Another thing that eats my ass up is when looking for old hardware on ebay and viewing an auction that says the harddrive was removed for privacy.

-Answering a Craigslist free ad for old computers and arriving to the peoples home to find out that the house is full of dogs and or cats and the computers are full of cat and dog filth. I just leave empty handed disgusted.

-Finding old monitors and towers on side of road discovering that the asshold cut the cables on the monitor and computer power supply.

-Goodwill's shelves are full of useless printers and monitors but their heavily guarded dumpster is full of old computers that they cannot sell due to the bullshit privacy scare.

Reply 67 of 127, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiremaster400 wrote:

-Another thing that eats my ass up is when looking for old hardware on ebay and viewing an auction that says the harddrive was removed for privacy.

What's wrong with that? Makes sense to me. And CF-to-IDE adapters are a cheap, effective solution, are they not?

Reply 68 of 127, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I really hate it when Internet Explorer is the only goddamn browser installed on a computer.

Oh, also, laptops with pre-installed Symantec piss me off. When I happen to be the unlucky bastard to buy such laptop, my first step is completely removing the damn thing. And yes, that includes my mom's laptop. There is no way in hell I'd let my loved ones plagued by that thing.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 69 of 127, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

I really hate it when Internet Explorer is the only goddamn browser installed on a computer.

IE used to be a bit iffy, but i actually think the current version is pretty good! I've been a Firefox fan for years, but i feel it's been going down hill for a while now... I still have it installed though. I don't like Opera and i'm not really that keen on Chrome either (although the desktop version might be better than the Android tablet version).

Reply 70 of 127, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:
Tiremaster400 wrote:

What's wrong with that? Makes sense to me. And CF-to-IDE adapters are a cheap, effective solution, are they not?

They're not cheap when you could have bought a machine with the hard drive already installed. Where it really becomes an issue, though, is with early Macs. Those hard drives have a special ROM that makes them usable only in Macs. It's a PITA to try to use a non-Mac drive in those because MAC OS isn't set up to recognize them. Because of "recyclers" all those original Mac only drives are being destroyed rather than reused and all those Macs that are sold without them are useless. It makes me wonder why they actually do this. They can get more money for the drive intact than they can get selling it for scrap and it costs more in money, energy and resources to make a new drive than reuse an old one so by destroying those old drives they are not being very green. And why do they care about any data that might be on the drive? They can wipe the drive before it is sold or the new owner will probably wipe it anyway so what's the big deal?

Reply 72 of 127, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

Afraid to get law suits on their hands maybe?

Anyone so careless as to not reformat their drive several times before disposing of the computer deserves to have their data stolen.

Reply 73 of 127, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I get really impatient watching people enter & edit text without using basic keyboard shortcuts. While I'm standing over their shoulder, they'll fill in a web-based form by typing in a field, moving the mouse to the next field, clicking on it, typing in that field, moving the mouse to the following field, etc. I'll politely inform them about the TAB key and other timesaving miracles like CTRL+C, CTRL+V, etc, but invariably they go back to using the mouse.

As a collector who tries to find mint-condition systems on eBay and Craigslist, I've also suffered lots of disappointment with computers that were described as "mint" or "like new." I've been looking for a boxed quad Power Mac G5 for over a year now, and every time I drive out to see one that was described as flawless, it has scratches and nicks (albeit usually minor ones). When I point them out to the seller, he invariably says something like "What, THOSE?" Yes, THOSE asshole. THOSE are contrary to the definition of the word "mint," at least in the dictionaries I use.

I once drove an hour into New Jersey (and paid the exorbitant toll) to see a pair of quad-G5s that the seller described as "new in box." As he pulled them out of his storage unit, I could see that the boxes had been opened and that plastic bags had been substituted for some of the original styrofoam cushioning. Pulling out the Power Macs themselves revealed that they were scuffed and scratched all over. The seller, of course, denied all knowledge that the systems had been used and said he thought they had been originally packaged like that - i.e., that Apple had shipped them from the factory using crumpled plastic bags as cushioning. F&cking tool, I was so pissed that it was all I could do to just walk away. I should have demanded that he refund the cost of my tolls.

One thing I've learned from years of buying used cars and computers: NEVER trust the words "mint," "like new," or "perfect."

Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Reply 74 of 127, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The thing that I really hate is when people neglect to tell you that the thing you ordered was owned by a smoker then it arrives at your house reeking of smoke even before you take it out of the package. Sellers should be required to disclose that when they list an item for sale.

Reply 75 of 127, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

The thing that I really hate is when people neglect to tell you that the thing you ordered was owned by a smoker then it arrives at your house reeking of smoke even before you take it out of the package. Sellers should be required to disclose that when they list an item for sale.

Well, aint that a bitch.. Last time I checked it could be easily cured with either a good scrubbing of soap or something similar. I do not care if the computer smelled like cannabis. I would actually smile , and know "some one has smoked a joint". But oh well here goes the old smokers vs. anti smokers bullshit. Thank goodness, I do not live (yet) in a country, where warranties go out the window if you smoke near your "precious" (overpriced elitist POS) Apple computer.

Oh, also, laptops with pre-installed Symantec piss me off. When I happen to be the unlucky bastard to buy such laptop, my first step is completely removing the damn thing. And yes, that includes my mom's laptop. There is no way in hell I'd let my loved ones plagued by that thing.

I must agree , I remove that crap immediately too, or if it is mcafee. Which to me is even worse. Yeah I remove that shit within the minute I see it installed on the pc.

Reply 76 of 127, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh man, I had to backup a friend's PC yesteday and she had a folder for backing up called N360_Backup. Initially I was thinking it was for a cellphone, but it was around 40GBs!!!
I took a quick look and couldn't really understand what the crap it was, until I googled it.
Norton 360... 🤣

Reply 77 of 127, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Preinstalled software on the home user range I'll let slide, don’t like it but I guess some AV software is better than nothing but on their Business range!? It’s a Business they are going to have their own Antivirus software! I mean it takes half an hr to uninstall some brands preinstalled crap theres so much! And no Sony I don’t want an avi preview of your latest movie!

Also a new one when people call to tell me “your computer system isn’t working” um I think you’ll mine is fine, it’s YOUR system we just maintain it. Do these people call BMW or whoever when they get a flat tire and say “Your car isn’t working”?

Fanboy Apple users, where it everything’s fault but Apple. Can’t print because printer needs a postscript kit installed? Printers fault (PC’s print fine?) iPhone not stopped sync? Exchange’s fault (Blackberry and Windows phones are fine?)

Printers that insist you use their setup program not just the windows built printer wizard, then don’t work!

Reply 78 of 127, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

They're not cheap when you could have bought a machine with the hard drive already installed. Where it really becomes an issue, though, is with early Macs. Those hard drives have a special ROM that makes them usable only in Macs. It's a PITA to try to use a non-Mac drive in those because MAC OS isn't set up to recognize them. Because of "recyclers" all those original Mac only drives are being destroyed rather than reused and all those Macs that are sold without them are useless.

Kinda. The ROM just contains a fingerprint so the Mac will recognise it. The disks can be used in non-Mac systems, they're plain SCSI and IDE drives.

Any non-Mac HDD will work, you just need a patched Disk Utility to partition and format it. Creating this disk without a working PPC/68k Mac handy? Certainly non-trivial.

None-the-less, I agree how much of a PITA it is. For real.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 79 of 127, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote:

iPhone not stopped sync? Exchange’s fault (Blackberry and Windows phones are fine?)

To be fair: Microsoft are serially guilty of changing the ActiveSync spec without telling anybody. (Or "Outlook To Go" or whatever the shit they call it now)

It's happened to iOS more than once, but it's happened to Android too, where part of the ActiveSync protocol was implemented according to the published specs, but a Service Pack or Hotfix to Exchange Server silently changed something tiny.

It depends then on how strictly Apple/Google/Etc followed the spec, as to whether the change has an effect.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread