VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Many of you will know me quite well as I have been on this great forum since 2004, but my DOS gaming experiences trace further back to 1997 when I played Doom for the first time on a good old 486DX with Windows 95. I have just recently heard that Rise of the Triad is being remade by
Interceptor Entertainment, and personally, I am thrilled about it as Rise of the Triad was one of my greatest favorites back when I started posting on this forum.

I have pretty much grew up with PC gaming and consoles alike, and
while I focused heavily on game consoles when I received my first video game console, the Nintendo 64 in 2000, DOS games still always have a spot for me, since I feel the nostalgia rush every time I boot up that old 486DX, hearing the loud HDD clicking music with the Windows 95 logo and a semi white bar towards the bottom proceeding towards the left, and
coming back to its original position only to move away again until I am
greeted with the log on screen.

The 1990's were such a magical time for me, despite being born in
1991, I still share quite a few memories from that particular era, as
I was introduced to Doom on PC at the tender age of six, my very first
video game. If it was not for Doom, I would not have become the
curious gamer I am, trying whatever games are out there as many platforms as I can own.

With that being said, when I joined Vogons in 2004, I was very much a retro gamer at the time, and I would play anything that is classic, such as the NES, SNES, or the Sega Genesis. So, what is the next retro platform I will scrounge games for? You guessed it, MS-DOS. when I had my first video game console, my gaming was mainly focused on the N64, while
I would occasionally play Quake II, or some other newer PC games that would work on my Pentium, then I came across Dosgames.com, and discovered a vast collection of DOS gems I have never heard of such as Descent, Duke Nukem 3D, or Rise of the Triad. After downloading the
shareware versions of those titles, I noticed that the games had some stiff technical issues, due to the fact that my computer at the time was running Windows 2000, when it should have been running either Windows 95, or older MS-DOS/PC-DOS operating systems. So, that is when I was introduced to Vogons after spending time searching for solutions to problems I had running DOS games on Windows 2000.

I was initially introduced to DosBox, but my Pentium running Windows 2000 was only a measly 200 Mhz, certainly not enough to run the games I wanted to run, considering how many resources it would take to run the game. So, instead, I looked around the house for a copy of any DOS operating system, to thankfully find a copy of PC-DOS 6.3. In excitement, I installed the operating system on the old 1996 custom built Pentium tower I had, and after receiving some answers from Vogons, I have managed to
run quite a few games just fine. With my current laptop, though I can run any DOS game I own on DosBox just fine, thanks to the advancements over the years.

So, here is the dough after such a long timeline! My favorite game of the ones I played is Rise of the Triad or ROTT. Sure, it borrowed quite a bit from the Doom engine, but the creativity that was put forth into the game kept me playing. I loved all the various power-ups that either changed the main character's state of mind or even transform him into a dog, allowing for easy and quick kills. There was even a power-up that took the form of god, and allowed for one hit kills, and invincibility. Aside from that, the idea of obstacles such as nails on totem poles and breathing fire and those pink bouncing objects really caught my eye as well, as I was not used to such interesting additions from the games I have played.

Overall, DOS games were such a magical thing from the command prompt to the excellent gameplay of the various titles I played in the last 16 years I have been playing video games. I am definitely looking forward to the remake of ROTT, something that will certainly make my day. Pardon the extremely long post, I am just simply thrilled about this! 😀

Reply 2 of 3, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, the site was indeed very appealing, as the updated screenshots never failed to impress. I am certainly looking forward to this classic having new life breathed into it as I did not even know that this remake was in production, until I heard about it a couple of weeks ago, I think.

Reply 3 of 3, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I vaugley remember dos games as kid and i'm not sure it was does they might have been macs with command line, that was in kindergarten then after that they upgraded the computers. From then on i used win 3.11 at the day care, then 95 then 98 then i finally got my own 98 machine. I had games like command and conquer Tiberian Sun and Starcraft, nfs 3 and the sims and command and conquer renegade.

I also grew up with a Sega Genesis CDX with games like streets of rage 1 and 2, Golden AXE 1 and 2, vector man and sonic. I also jumped form the Sega CDX to the N64. So basically I grew up with consoles and computers.

I didn't really many DOS games on my own till i had windows 98.