VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is a question for all my fellows who played the game on both platforms. Especially for my old Amigo Keropi, whom I knew on A.org years before I joined vogons.
Which version you liked most? Graphics, sound?
To me, Amiga Dune was a masterpiece; only 32 colors, yet it looked almost as good as 256 colors VGA. The sound was better than SB, so only the few who had MT-32 at the time can say they had better sound on PC.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 1 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Amiga was an awesome home computer, but IMO once games used VGA and Sound Blaster / Roland, I prefer the PC versions.

The Amiga always has fantastic Stereo music. Even years afterwards, most FM music was still mono 🙁

I like this version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ohpXAJ8d7E

It's played on the AWE64 GOLD with Reverb and Chorus applied 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 7, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I prefer the Adlib music to the MT-32 on this game. Cryo musicians must have composed the music for the Adlib and they really knew how to use the OPL2 😉.
Not a big fan of the Amiga music either on this one. The Amiga version looks fantastic considering it is using only 32 colors! Still, the VGA version looks quite a bit better.

Hey mau, that Reverb and Chorus thingy on those AWE cards is something else, isn't it 😉? Some games sound amazing if you find the right settings!

Reply 3 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To be perfectly honest fillosaurus I do prefer the amiga version too 😀 for the same reasons as you state... it's not always a matter of using 256colors or a ROLAND synth, one does appreciate the effort too
I also used to play it on a friend's 386DX machine that had a greyscale monitor and pc-speaker only 😁 so in the back of my head I am always biased towards the amiga version 🤣

The amiga had many many games that were better on it compared to the atari/pc computers. I have concluded the main reason is being that devs used amiga as the main programming environment (thus taking advantage of it's chipset) and then just porting to other platforms.... Games like Second Samurai, Risky Woods and platforms in general always shined there with their smooth scrolling and copper effects. It was only until later that development moved to pc and we actually got a taste of vga's power (jazz jackrabbit, turrican2 etc) that before that point was only used to produce 256colors and nothing more... so you just have to have both platforms to enjoy things 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 7, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From time to time I still fire up my A1200 and play some games. Have a wireless network PC Card and CF-IDE adapter, soon to be replaced by a SD-IDE adapter. I had the ol girl almost 8 years ago. It was a gift.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 5 of 7, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
The Amiga was an awesome home computer, but IMO once games used VGA and Sound Blaster / Roland, I prefer the PC versions. […]
Show full quote

The Amiga was an awesome home computer, but IMO once games used VGA and Sound Blaster / Roland, I prefer the PC versions.

The Amiga always has fantastic Stereo music. Even years afterwards, most FM music was still mono 🙁

I like this version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ohpXAJ8d7E

It's played on the AWE64 GOLD with Reverb and Chorus applied 😀

I was gonna comment on youtube but, it's bullshit censorship won't let me post. Any ways,

WOW! that actually sounds pretty damn good on my Klipsch S4s.

Reply 6 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea the reverb and chorus options on the AWE is quite neat. You can adjust the amount from 0 to 100 as well, so you can tweak it to your liking. And the AWE also has settings for bass and treble. It allows you to make old FM games sound quite a bit different. Not authentic, but different enough to be of interest to some people. I certainly like it 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 7, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dune I still prefer on the Amiga to the PC but both are great versions in their own right.

There is nothing like listening to some music on an Amiga piped through an old Marantz Tube Amp 😁

Just wished I had kept that amp instead of recycling the old thing 🙁

Now I see things like Vinyl and Tube Amps are making a modest comeback due to the warmer sound they produce, which is what I got out of the Amiga as well, almost like the CBM engineers designed the Paula to be more like an analog amp instead of a digital one.

No matter where you go, there you are...