VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OVER-30-years-of-VIDE … s-/121064017825?

Reply 4 of 18, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's a nice collection, but I think the price is quite inflated. He's pretty much asking the original retail price for the games. While there are certainly a lot of rare and expensive titles, most of them are hardly worth 5$.

Very impressive nonetheless 😀

::42::

Reply 7 of 18, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Too much money. There's isn't a chance in hell that anyone is just going to be able to magically produce $575K to pay for that lot. His only chance of selling it, if he's really serious about selling it, is to break it down into smaller lots.

Reply 8 of 18, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote:

Someone wants a comission on that half million... 😁

Reply 10 of 18, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sprcorreia wrote:
robertmo wrote:

Someone wants a comission on that half million... 😁

Yeah, ebay and paypal.

Reply 12 of 18, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:
$575K auction, foreign seller, ZERO feedback. […]
Show full quote

$575K auction, foreign seller, ZERO feedback.

1933972076_Chances_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

"PLEASE SORRY, EBAY IS JOKING WITH MY AUCTION...!!!!
NOW IT WAS REMOVED CAUSE I WROTE THAT I PREFER A BANK MONEY TRANFER TO PAY THIS AUCTION!
SO I HAVE TO ACCEPT ALSO PAYPAL AS PAYMENT.
PLEASE NOTE there'll be a discount on bank money tranfer payment.
THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE.
I HOPE THAT NOW MY AUCTION CAN RUN TILL THE END...."

Definitely a scammer. He wants a wire transfer. Ebay should put a cap on the amount of money that a new seller is allowed to accept for items until they've sold a few and established a positive reputation. That one simple step would prevent a lot of fraud from taking place.

Reply 13 of 18, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it is a scammer the pictures has to originate from somewhere. I did a quick search on TinEye on some of the pictures (search to find other locations of pictures online) and it came up with no hits.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 14 of 18, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

If it is a scammer the pictures has to originate from somewhere. I did a quick search on TinEye on some of the pictures (search to find other locations of pictures online) and it came up with no hits.

Walk into any game shop with a digital camera and you can get all the pictures you like. It doesn't look like the photos are from a mainstream game shop like Gamestop (USA) or Game (if you're from the UK). They are probably from an independent shop. I found a little place on the High St in Sutton (UK) while on vacation once where you could easily take similar photos. They don't necessarily have to be stolen from the internet.

Reply 15 of 18, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One other point I forgot to mention, it looks like there is a LOT of Japanese stuff in that lot. If the seller is shipping that lot from Japan, it would cost him a fortune to rent or buy a place with enough space to house it all. Real estate values are just too high there for most people to afford that kind of square footage and devote it to a hobby rather than living space. That's part of the reason why I am thinking these photos are from a game shop and not someone's home.

Reply 16 of 18, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

One other point I forgot to mention, it looks like there is a LOT of Japanese stuff in that lot. If the seller is shipping that lot from Japan, it would cost him a fortune to rent or buy a place with enough space to house it all. Real estate values are just too high there for most people to afford that kind of square footage. That's part of the reason why I am thinking these photos are from a game shop and not someone's home.

He says everything is located in his basement in Italy. It's not that uncommon to have big basements with enough room for all of this.

Reply 17 of 18, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've never been to a shop that had all that stuff, and that sat idly by while I spent hours rearranging and taking photo's of their collectors items.

It's a lot of cash to most people, but there are plenty of folks running around with half a mil to spare.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 18 of 18, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interview with the seller at Eurogamer:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-13- … r-heads-to-ebay

Still think this is a scam sliderider?