VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why buy a car when for a mere $8,000 you can own a sealed boxed copy of MS-DOS 3.3?

Really, I understand that collectibles can sell for quite a premium, but is there any basis for asking such a high price when this sealed copy sold for $100? Or how about this one, which sold for a mere $15? I guess I should be directing this tirade at the seller, but maybe somebody here would appreciate it.

Reply 2 of 5, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That guy's descriptions of the MD-DOS 3.3 (first one above) are full of attempts to justify his asking price of $8,000.

I think the second one is not unreasonable.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 3 of 5, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think I've ever seen a severely overpriced item like that actually sell, but I guess anything can happen once.
I notice ads like that usually have the "Make offer" option enabled. He's asking for offers and doesn't want to set the price, so he just typed in something ridiculous.
It doesn't bother me. I have lots of personal possessions I don't consider "for sale", but if somebody on the internet wanted to pay me $8000 for them, I'd gladly let them go. The only difference between me and the guy on ebay is that he actually posts them up. 😀

Reply 4 of 5, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Malik wrote:

I think the second one is not unreasonable.

What exactly are you referring to?

I'm going to offer the seller a three-week-old Duane Reade receipt in exchange for his boxed copy of DOS. My receipt is super-rare because it's the only one issued at its particular time and location, and includes a list of highly sought-after items like Powerbars and Honest Tea drinks. There are NO OTHER receipts exactly like it in the world, guaranteed. The seller, by his own logic, would have to be INSANE to pass up this once in a lifetime opportunity!