Reply 2 of 52, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And $1000 is a bit out of my budget 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 52, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We bought some 19" 4:3 LCD screens from Dell just last year. They definitely still make them, just under a couple of hundred each.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 6 of 52, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

Probably for medical or industrial use.

Marketed just as a regular business screen on their site. The only business I would do with this is Quake II in maximum res business 😁 (impossible with 1080p screens)

Reply 9 of 52, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My main source of frustation is the lack of enough vertical lines unless you set those screens using an almost hard to see insane native resolution.

I remember my old 4:3 19" monitor. It could do nice crisp 1280x1024 native resolution. I have a bigger 16:9 monitor at work and the vertical resolution is smaller than 768 pixels. If I increase the resolution I can't see a damn thing and no, I do not want to use text scaling bigger than 100%. Some apps look real ugly.

Reply 10 of 52, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sure you can't find these so frequently anymore simply because you can get a 24" 1080p for dirt cheap now that has slightly more vertical resolution than the old 19"ers as well. I wonder who bought these low-res widescreens anyway, only remember people advising against them.

Btw, 1280x1024 is 5:4, not 100% optimal for old games as well

Reply 11 of 52, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1.6 x 1.2 pixels per dollar?

No thanks... 😏

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 12 of 52, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:

I like the widescreens, but I hate how they now make up for like 99% of the market. If at least full 8-bit IPS panels would be mainstream by now!

IPS panels are great for colour accuracy and wide viewing angles, but they're still not perfect for hardcore gamers just yet (usually higher input lag, slower pixel response times and overly aggressive AG coating when compared to most TN panels). I use an LG IPS screen and the picture quality is brilliant! It does ok with games, but gaming is not the best scenario for it (although some people who don't have keen eyes will say it's perfectly fine for gaming).

What i'd like is a 27" 8-bit IPS panel with a 1 or 2ms response time, low input lag (or none at all if possible), light AG coating and 120hz refresh rate 😀. I wouldn't touch a wide gamut 10-bit or 12-bit panel when it comes to gaming.

Last edited by PowerPie5000 on 2013-02-26, 15:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 52, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PowerPie5000 wrote:

What i'd like is a 27" 8-bit IPS panel with a 1 or 2ms response time, low input lag (or none at all if possible), light AG coating and 120hz refresh rate 😀

You and me both, that would be an adequate CRT replacement at last. For decent prices of course. 😀 Right now it's either 120Hz but TN, or IPS/PVA but only 60Hz. PVA is supposed to be even better than IPS in most respects btw (the Eizo S2100 is PVA too) but is said to be not ideal for gamers due to high response times.

I'll perhaps eventually get something like an Eizo FS2333 if no significant changes happen in the market.

Reply 14 of 52, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A quick look at NewEgg.com shows quite a few 4:3 monitors. This one in particular caught my eye.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16824254103
LED backlit, and I've had good luck with HannsG in the past.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 15 of 52, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1280 x 1024 5ms

It's 5:4, not 4:3. I don't think a lot of 1280x960 monitors exist (if any), only the really old 1024x768 or high-end 1600x1200s like the one I posted... Also some beastly 2048x1536 CRTs do exist 😀

Reply 16 of 52, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:
PowerPie5000 wrote:

What i'd like is a 27" 8-bit IPS panel with a 1 or 2ms response time, low input lag (or none at all if possible), light AG coating and 120hz refresh rate 😀

You and me both, that would be an adequate CRT replacement at last. For decent prices of course. 😀 Right now it's either 120Hz but TN, or IPS/PVA but only 60Hz. PVA is supposed to be even better than IPS in most respects btw (the Eizo S2100 is PVA too) but is said to be not ideal for gamers due to high response times.

I'll perhaps eventually get something like an Eizo FS2333 if no significant changes happen in the market.

TN panels are not too bad these days, they've come a long way. Our PC in the living room uses a cheap 24" AOC TN panel and i was surprised at how wide the viewing angles are... The colour is not as good as my IPS screen, but it still looks fairly decent after a bit of tweaking. The pixel response time is noticeably better than my IPS screen when playing fast paced games.

I'd probably have no issues replacing my current LG IPS with a decent 120Hz TN screen 😀.

Reply 17 of 52, by Svenne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess this is good for retro gamers who can't find space for a CRT, but why the hell does a 21" monitor cost $1000?! Is the case made out of carbon fiber or something?

Intel C2D 2.8 GHz @ 3.0 GHz | ASUS P5KPL | ASUS GTS250 1 GB | 4GB DDR2-800 | 500 GB SATA | Win 7 Pro/Ubuntu 9.10

Reply 19 of 52, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it was only about the space. A lot of CRTs are starting to deteriorate by now.

As for the price, Eizo is pretty known for expensive monitors. At least they used a PVA panel for this model, other manufacturers would just stick to standard TN junk and sell it for the same price 😜