Common searches

Game skills you really suck at?

Topic actions

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, in my case, definitely cryptography. Sid Meier's Covert Action would be much more enjoyable if my crypto skill was not pathetic.

crypto.gif
This is where the nightmare comes...

Another area where I'm really lacking is landing, that's why I always prefer less realistic flight sims.

So, what are yours?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1 of 25, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anything music based. One puzzle in Sanitarium has 5 notes that need to be played in a sequence of 6. Someone hums the tune and you repeat it. I had to go through all the possible combinations to progress. Another game, 9 The Last Resort, is unplayable to me because of this.

Reply 3 of 25, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Three words...

Jumping
In
3D

The bane of my gaming world. Most 3rd person action games from the late 90s/early 00s are nearly impossible to play for me because of this. Shadows of the Empire, Half-Life, along with almost any console game of the time.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 4 of 25, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

My orientation skills are non existant so I suck playing RPG exploration games without automap. I sucked also playing Wolfenstein because of this too. 😁

I suck at orientation too... sometimes the issue can be successfully overcome by "sticking to the same side" (for example in Wolfenstein I would always go right, always use the first door on the right, etc) 😀.

Reply 5 of 25, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am good at just about every kind of game out there!

...then there's strategy... >_>;;;

I am freaking terrible at the vast majority of strategy games out there. I've never really understood why, though I think a part of it has to do with my over-reliance on defensive strategies, though on the flip side, I tend to get slaughtered when I try to take the offensive too so... I dunno. :P

There are exceptions to this though, and they revolve around Bullfrog. Populous and Dungeon Keeper are two of the only strategy games in existence that I actually have any skill at, partly because defensive strategies tend to work really well in them. I also recently found that I'm "OK" at Endless Space, ie: not spectacular but not bad.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 6 of 25, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I can't trickjump worth a crap on Quake III or any other FPSs that have trickjumping as a feature, my poor reflexes often get me killed on TF2 and CoD, and I can't strategize worth a crap, so going up against actual skilled players on StarCraft is not an option for me. 🤣

Truth be told, one of the few games that I've ever been "good" at was Super Smash Brothers: Melee, and even then my skills have gotten really rusty from not playing much over the last few years. 😜

As well, I'm easily overwhelmed by games that provide a lot of options, so I much prefer playing games that are either arcade-style or at least have a straightforward focus.

Reply 8 of 25, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sports games and fighting games

Also I have a low patience with puzzles in adventure games as I mostly play through them for the humor, characters and story. If I run into problems I don't sit around for hours before I hit up gamefaqs.com

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 9 of 25, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm terrible at music puzzles, and also jumping whether in a platformer or FPS (but especially FPS). I really don't see the point of a jumping puzzle in an FPS.

Also I get frustrated in text adventures easily and tend to give up on them.

Korea Beat -- my cool translation blog.

Reply 10 of 25, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most puzzle games are far to annoying and "complicated while word games are outrages. Has no problem with RPG but a little slow for FPS. I used to enjoy platform games like Donkey Kong ect.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 11 of 25, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know if I suck at, or just plain hate the 3D platform jumping over bottomless void or something that can kill the player if fallen.

I seem to suck at economic simulations and/or micromanagement of commerce and development, like in most games by Impressions - somehow I tend to go downhill very fast. Occasionally, I lose the patience to continue. Strange thing is that, I really do like to play such games.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 12 of 25, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

I seem to suck at economic simulations and/or micromanagement of commerce and development, like in most games by Impressions - somehow I tend to go downhill very fast. Occasionally, I lose the patience to continue. Strange thing is that, I really do like to play such games.

Caesar 3! Holy shit that game was hard.

Reply 13 of 25, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anything with a timer in it, timed missions, timed quests etc...

I'm all about time, too much of it and I'm in my comfort zone, too little time and I start to freak out 😉

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 14 of 25, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am a bit ambivalent towards RPG and RTS games, I mean I am decent at them but a lot of problems arise in certain games, like Ultima VII for example, I either suck or am doing something wrong because not only do I constantly get killed but I have no idea where to go at points. Two genres I REALLY suck at would be fighting and shmups. I especially emphasize fighting since I am probably the only one who hates Street Fighter II because I can never do well in that game, and I understand that all other fighting games pale in comparison in it which upsets me since I am pretty decent at Mortal Kombat, Tekken, and Dead or Alive.

Reply 15 of 25, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My social/people skills are lacking. MMO's are not for me.

Which is a crying shame because I loved EVE Online.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 16 of 25, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For me it's anything that requires fast reaction times. Quake3 and Rune are good examples. Both are really fast-paced and even though I played these games for years I always end up on the bottom of the score list. Yet still I enjoy playing these games somehow.

Reply 17 of 25, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't play modern multiplayer FPS games. I got conned into playing one of the Call of Duty games about a year ago on somebody's 360, and it was just shameful. My "goal" each game was to score 1 kill - that's how bad I was.
RTS games I'm also pretty bad at. I'm not good at being fast. I've played Age of Kings for years and love that game, but I'm too slow to compete with most human players, and when dealing with the computer I only win by playing defensively.

Reply 18 of 25, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only kind of games i really suck at are flight sims, but that's probably due to lack of interest (therefore lack of practice) on my part.

NitroX infinity wrote:

My social/people skills are lacking. MMO's are not for me.

Which is a crying shame because I loved EVE Online.

I usually keep to myself when playing MMO games too, i can't stand people bitching and moaning or telling me what to do all the time! I say stuff them and carry on playing it my own way... SOLO! 😁.

Last edited by PowerPie5000 on 2013-03-23, 22:08. Edited 1 time in total.