VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone know how this happen?

I started the PC with various startup floppies, and the result is the same. Either all my startup floppies are infected, or there is something other than virus infection is going on.

Let's say that it is virus infection. How can I understand this? The floppies are being prepared in my windows 7 PC. It has supposedly no infection (according to MS antivirus software which is online since...well, years)

Any recomended anti virus software (with version info) for a MSDOS 6.22 + WFW 3.11 PC?

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 2 of 8, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
filipetolhuizen wrote:

What's wrong with 638 KB of conventional memory? I could never free that ammount.

No, no no....It is not "free conventional memory". ıt is the total reported.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 3 of 8, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is this the pc in your sig?
The ROM BIOS on your SCSI card takes up some memory - I bet if you remove that card you will have the full 640KB again.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 4 of 8, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DonutKing wrote:

Is this the pc in your sig?
The ROM BIOS on your SCSI card takes up some memory - I bet if you remove that card you will have the full 640KB again.

Not that one, a new(?) one but again with a SCSI card (AHA-29160). should it not park its BIOS into some place between 640 and 1024 KBs?

anyway, let me try, and see. Thanks for the info.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 5 of 8, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not the actual SCSI bios ROM, but SCSI bios might use RAM as data area for something important. It has no other RAM to use so it will eat conventional memory.

How ever you should check your BIOS settings. If your BIOS has a setting called EBDA (Extdended BIOS Data Area), it may have a settings to select where to locate it. It can either reserve top 1-2 kilobytes away from 640KB, or it can be set to some other area (0:300) that is RAM in the interrupt vector area.

I don't think I or any software I have used has used the EBDA data, but I think I have always set it to eat away the memory. Who needs one or two kilobytes anyway?

Reply 6 of 8, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jepael wrote:

I don't think I or any software I have used has used the EBDA data, but I think I have always set it to eat away the memory. Who needs one or two kilobytes anyway?

I have a SIIG LBA BIOS card that steals the top 2K. It causes issues with poorly written applications that check for 640k of RAM (seriously). If the space is available at 0:300, it should use it instead. The BIOS in the machine actually has the option, just not the option ROM. The Promise EIDEMAX/DriveMAX LBA card seems to properly use 0:300.

Adaptec SCSI cards usually map the ROM and EBIOS info into the traditional adapter ROM space. Once you load an ASPI driver, you can use the space for device drivers (since it hooks Int13h once loaded).

Reply 7 of 8, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NJRoadfan wrote:
Jepael wrote:

I have a SIIG LBA BIOS card that steals the top 2K. It causes issues with poorly written applications that check for 640k of RAM (seriously). If the space is available at 0:300, it should use it instead. The BIOS in the machine actually has the option, just not the option ROM. The Promise EIDEMAX/DriveMAX LBA card seems to properly use 0:300.

Adaptec SCSI cards usually map the ROM and EBIOS info into the traditional adapter ROM space. Once you load an ASPI driver, you can use the space for device drivers (since it hooks Int13h once loaded).

This machine does not have a SIIG EIDE card (another one I'm also building has) and the "0:300 or 1KB option" is not present in the BIOS of that socket 7 board (although my FIC 486 and/or Opti 386 has it). I couldn't find any options definately related to this issue in the BIOS, I played with a couple of suspicious looking options but without success.

I think I need to learn to live with that. Thanks a lot for all the suggestions.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 8 of 8, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I came across this in an old newsgroup posting:

When the MS-DOS* "MEM /C " command is used to look at the memory resources that are
available to DOS, 653,312 bytes (638 KB) is shown as the total amount of
Conventional Memory rather than 640 KB.

The Phoenix* BIOS uses this 2 KB block of conventional memory:
1 KB is used to support the IBM Extended BIOS Block
1 KB is used to support the Phoenix Multi-Boot capability

Your board probably has either a Phoenix or Award-Phoenix BIOS (the two companies merged in the late '90s), so that would pretty well explain things. I'm not really sure what those two things actually do, but apparently it's normal behavior.