Common searches

Nvidia's framerate limiter

Topic actions

First post, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone ever messed with this? In theory this could be a pretty nice tool for old game compatibility on new graphics cards, while avoiding the input lag of VSync.

Some games display tearing way beyond what can be called normal at 100+ FPS (GoldSrc games are the best example from my experience), and 120Hz monitors are still fairly uncommon. Also, a number of games simply look better with 30-40 FPS than with 60+, and the tool would obviously make the graphics card run cooler and prevent coil whine when it's not trying to draw 300+ FPS.

Reply 1 of 27, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for noticing that.
It's great nvidia finally made it available (actually over a year ago). I already wrote somewhere about problems with many games making card extremely noisy when entering game's menu as they don't have any limiter for menus.
vsync making menus 60fps was still making card very noisy. The game was 30fps and rather silent. I remember star wars force unleashed, wolfenstein, trine and i guess many more.

Last edited by robertmo on 2013-05-02, 09:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 27, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

is this limiter the "new vsync" option they said they added? adaptive vsync? a setting in nv control panel? wouldn't mind turning this ON on my 660ti 😉

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 27, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote:

Thanks for noticing that.
It's great nvidia finally made it available (actually over a year ago). I already wrote somewhere about problems with many games making card extremely noisy when entering game's menu as they don't have any limiter for menus.
vsync making menus 60fps was still making card very noisy. The game was 30fps and rather silent. I remember star wars force unleashed, return to castle wolfenstein, trine and i guess many more.

Yeah, coil whine is a huge problem. I guess it sucks if you pay big money for a new graphics card and run into something like this. It's on my old 9800 GTX+ as well. Unfortunately I couldn't get this feature to work so far, so I'm suspecting it's only for newer cards... 🙁

keropi wrote:

is this limiter the "new vsync" option they said they added? adaptive vsync? a setting in nv control panel? wouldn't mind turning this ON on my 660ti 😉

No, Adaptive VSync is supposed to turn VSync on and off depending on the situation or something. For the feature I'm talking about you need the program Nvidia Inspector, because they don't have the option to set it in the driver so far.

Reply 5 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Often the whine actually comes from the PSU. But yea it's quite annoying. I had a very bad case and swapped the card out at the shop because of this.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 27, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Based on what they said in the above forum link
I think Adaptive VSync turns vsync off when fps is lower than refreshrate and turns vsync on when it is higher (so it doesn't slow down what is already slow)

Reply 7 of 27, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Often the whine actually comes from the PSU. But yea it's quite annoying. I had a very bad case and swapped the card out at the shop because of this.

Even worse is when you can't play old games on the new card because of tearing...

Reply 9 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo wrote:
d1stortion wrote:

Even worse is when you can't play old games on the new card because of tearing...

Doesn't vsync handle that?

Yes but it introduces input lag.

It's much better on a CRT with higher refresh rates.

Or 120Hz LEDs of course...

My YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 27, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it would be pretty cool to have an old card in another PCIe slot and then be able to switch to it depending on the game 😁 but everyone is only about SLI/Crossfire, dedicated PhysX cards etc 🙄

Reply 11 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I rather have monitors that sync to the video card. OLED anyone?

My YouTube channel

Reply 12 of 27, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

You can get coil whine with some PSUs if they're pushed, but i find more often it's the GPU or in some cases the CPU VRMs on the motherboard... I've only ever had one PSU with coil whine and it was a cheap and nasty "builder series" Corsair CX600 😒.

I RMA'd a 'HIS 7950 IceQ Boost Clock' a while back due to loud coil whine. The replacement has been perfect ever since! Coil whine is a joke these days and shouldn't even exist with all the solid type components that are supposedly being used... And coil whine isn't really classed as a fault either.

Reply 13 of 27, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

btw here is my old thread about the problem
Paused game -> hot (noisy) gfx card

anyway fps limiter works on my nvidia gtx 285 with Nvidia Inspector win7 (30fps) so at least my problem is solved 😉

Last edited by robertmo on 2013-05-14, 18:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 27, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you try it with VSync on and off? I tried very few games, namely NFSU2 and Skulltag/Zandronum and they didn't work with the feature. Only VSync worked for capping the framerate but that often sucks, lots of input lag.

Also 9800 and 285 are close in terms of architecture so it normally should work imo. Well when I feel like it I'm going to try it again with some new drivers 😀

Reply 18 of 27, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

30fps confirmed by fraps is definitely not reduced by vsync 😉

btw i am using nvidia Inspector 1.9.7.1 and i wonder where is this file from as official site doesn't seem to be updated since Februar 17th, 2011
http://www.orbmu2k.de/