VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, one thing I notice in Vogons is diversity. 😀 Apparently, a large part of us doesn't come from English-speaking country. I'm an Indonesian, Malik is a Malaysian, while Wolverine is a Dane.

Regarding to my own language, there are moments when I laugh when reading certain articles on the internet. This is probably the best. It is a Star Wars vs Star Trek fanfic, featuring an antagonist (an Imperial officer, to be exact) named Grand Admiral Kontol.

Here's an excerpt from the story:

========================

As Karsiss slowly walked around the bridge, watching his crew at work. He smiled to himself as he had the best crew on any Star destroyer in the Imperial Armada. The only crew better being that on the Super Star Destroyer that Grand Admiral Kontol commanded.

'Kontol,' he thought to himself, 'what would the Grand Admiral do if he were here?' Then, as he realized the answer, he chuckled to himself. 'What ever he wanted to do. He wouldn't have to worry about what his superiors thought....since both Darth Vadar and the Emperor himself are now gone. But I can't just decided on this scale. My only choice is to return to our own universe and report to Kontol of this place...then he can return here with a fleet and do what ever he wants. Hmmm...another universe to conquer.'

========================

When reading the story above, I laughed so hard that I spilled my coffee through my nose. And why is that? Because characters in the story speak the word 'Kontol' in such innocent manner, while in Bahasa Indonesia, kontol is the slang word for penis! 🤣

So, if any of you plan to visit my country in the future, don't get fooled if someone told you 'lihatlah kontol saya' means 'good morning'.

Anyone ever has similar experience?

Last edited by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman on 2013-05-01, 19:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1 of 36, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyway, I also note people tend to be mischievous when it goes to language.

Indonesia is a very diverse country. Bahasa Indonesia is both our lingua franca and official language. Yet, every region has its own ethnic language. Last year I went to Bali, and before my departure, a friend of mine told me that the word mekatuk is the formal, polite greeting word to address a lady. Fortunately, I'm not a gullible person. 🤣

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 2 of 36, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Correction, I am NOT a Danish (pastry) I am either Danish 😀 or a Dane 😀

But that is small potatoes 😀 when in fact I understand what KAN meant 😀

Reply 3 of 36, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote:

Correction, I am NOT a Danish (pastry) I am either Danish 😀 or a Dane 😀

But that is small potatoes 😀 when in fact I understand what KAN meant 😀

I stand corrected. 😀

Anyway, I just discovered that Røvguitar is a word. I mean, what does arse have to do with guitar?

Don't know about others, but I find learning expletives is fun. When I took a German course some years ago, it was actually the dirty words that help me to study quicker. 🤣

Reply 4 of 36, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know the word you are talking about, but I believe you should find the word, in the Danish dictionary (online) , and let google try to translate the meaning of the word.

Reply 5 of 36, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Talking about penises, a lot of Chinese goods that are exported to Russia have strange names where letters "H", "U", "I" or "A" meet together. The combination of first three is a very offensive word, you get the meaning.

Reply 6 of 36, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For those not familar with A Song of Ice and Fire, one of the characters in named Jorah Mormont. "Jorah" means "sweage pit" in hebrew and arabic... I mentioned that to my Canadian friend (the one who introduced me to the series), and she nearly fell out of her chair laughing.
I only got the joke when I got to book #3 (spoiler). :)

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 7 of 36, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, a Romanian joke (double entendre) is written like "Notre poul dans votre court". Is supposed to mean "Our chicken in your yard" in French. When said/pronounced correctly in French, it sounds like "Notre pul dans votre cur", which in Fromanian means "our penis in your anus"

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 8 of 36, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another word which makes me laugh is Italian "finocchio". Its literal meaning is a plant/vegetable. Second meaning is gay, as in homosexual. How the hell did my Latin cousins arrived to that, I cannot explain.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.

Reply 9 of 36, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

While PULA has several other meanings in other languages (a city in Croatia, the word for rain and national currency in Botswana) in Romanian is slang word for penis.

Reply 11 of 36, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@powerPie5000
Well... My language is a very flexible one. "Dude" is english loanword. But "duda" has almost same meaning as penis. in archaic Romanian, duda means pipe. So, by changing a vowel, you get from "friend/mate" to "pipe/conduit/penis"

Reply 12 of 36, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hmmm before any one else says it, then I will "penis penis penis" 😉 (sadly I can not find the old sketch) where the women go crazy. Because a man is saying the aforementioned "sentence" with the same word.

Reply 13 of 36, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the Quebecois dialect of French, various religious terms such as "tabernac" (tabernacle), "criss" (Christ), and "calice" (chalice) are often used as strong profanities, which I can imagine must be quite confusing and/or amusing for French speakers from other regions. 🤣

Here in the province of Alberta, English is the dominant language, but among French speakers here there is definitely some Quebecois influence, and as such you'll sometimes hear them using the same types of profanities.

Wikipedia actually has a pretty good article on this unique linguistic phenomena, known as "sacre" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_French_profanity

Reply 14 of 36, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WolverineDK wrote:

hmmm before any one else says it, then I will "penis penis penis" 😉 (sadly I can not find the old sketch) where the women go crazy. Because a man is saying the aforementioned "sentence" with the same word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_d … h8IvTzuaw#t=12s

Reply 15 of 36, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote:

....a Danish (pastry).....

My home used to have a never ending supply of Kjeldsen's Butter Cookies, replenished every week or two!

RacoonRider wrote:

...."H", "U", "I" or "A" meet together. The combination of first three is a very offensive word....

Fortunately, Chinese is a tonal language. Even if you say the words constructed from the same set of alphabets with the same arrangement, if the tone is different, it gives an entirely different meaning.

Almost everyone would have heard the term "Sunni Muslim" which refers to a sect of Islam. The word "Sunni" - if pronounced as 's-oo-nn-ee' is actually a "bad word" or a "vulgar" slang for penis in the language of Tamil (of South India). For the Tamil Muslims, the word "Sunni" will put them in a "fix" whenever they are referred to as such. The word "Sunni" originated from the Arabic language, though.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 17 of 36, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Saying Chin Chin as a way to celebrate or to "toast to someone" in Latin America/Spain whereas it means Penis in japanese 🤣

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 19 of 36, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:
RacoonRider wrote:

...."H", "U", "I" or "A" meet together. The combination of first three is a very offensive word....

Fortunately, Chinese is a tonal language. Even if you say the words constructed from the same set of alphabets with the same arrangement, if the tone is different, it gives an entirely different meaning.

I totally undestand that, but would you like to wear, say, sandals with a word "penis" all over them? 😀