VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dear Friends,

Tomorrow my country will be holding it's 13th General Election. While many of you from the free world may say "big deal", allow me just a few lines to say why.

We have had the same National Front party in power for 56 years since independence from the Brits, and it turned out we exchanged one form of colonization for another. The people have had enough of the Government's brutality, corruption, cronyism, religious persecution and racism. Thousands have been beaten, jailed, abused, even killed or "disappeared" in the struggle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=CpSsI6vWiUs&NR=1

Now after decades of misrule, we have the chance to vote a new coalition in, the "People's Pact", a multi-racial coalition led by some of our foremost intellectuals and statesmen committed to ending injustice, racism, corruption and stopping the decay of our beloved country.

There are not so subtle warnings from the powers that be against voting the opposition in. The ruling party's thugs are already out in force wreaking havoc tonight, beating people in the street. More is expected tomorrow on polling day, and if the ruling party lose, all hell may break lose.

I humbly ask that you pray with us, in the hope of a better future for our country.

Thank you.

For more info go to http://www.pakatanrakyat.my/

Reply 4 of 5, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think this is the most heated election in Malaysia's history so far. The opposition managed to break through many strongholds of the ruling government. Most of the people were worried with the ruling government's corruption allegations and money politics and the result showed that. Problem is that all the mainstream media TV stations, newspapers are pro-ruling government and are mostly one-sided biased news.

Because of this, the People depend on internet news and blogs and social websites to hear the true story, and to see the "other" side of the ruling coalition government. Hopefully with more intensive out-reaching of information technology to rural places, people will be more exposed to the real situation and will be aware of how things are working.

The struggle for true democracy, against so called sedition and oppressive crackdown on those that voice out irregularities and corruption of the ruling government, the struggle for fair elections and press freedom continues...

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 5 of 5, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We're safe. There was some trouble last night, with riot police and barbed wire going up in several places across the country, but things are very quiet this morning. Many of my colleagues are dressed in black in protest against the dirty election process seen last night.

Final results of the election: opposition wins more Parliamentary seats -89, government wins 133. For state seats, opposition wins 229, govt 275 but due to gerrymandering, the opposition got 50% of the popular vote while the government only got 47%! And that is with all the dirty ballots, fake voters, recounting, etc. The actual support to the govt is even lower than that. Hollow victory for the govt. For the first time, the winning party doubts whether it really won.