VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hahaha, crazy stuff I know! Why would someone want to emulate Amiga in a 486 Ms-Dos environment?
Well, I do. Why?

It all started about a week a go. I was fiddling with the Amx586 and a particular game I love: Sensible Soccer. Well actually I was playing Sensible World of Soccer, which is like an extension/sequel to the first one. Great game BTW! Really addictive ! I really recommend to all of you! Even if you are not a football (soccer) fan.

I was playing and I remembered the amiga version of the game, (which in my opinion, its better than the pc one as many other games, Cannon Fodder is another I can think of)

What if I could play the amiga version on the 486? What if I could play Amiga games on the 486? That would be a perfect combination for early 90's games.

So researching began. I knew about WinUAE, I checked and found a port for Ms-Dos: DosUAE
So far I have tested Workbench 1.3 and it works pretty well.
But, I'm an outsider to the Amiga World. Never had one, so I'm quite not familiar to it.

I have tried Sensible Soccer but emulation is bad, quite slow. I don't know if it is because of th Setup, or just because a 486 won't have enough power to move this emulator.

I'd like to add that it would be pretty interesting to see how we could optimize this app to make it work in a 486. Anyone interested? 😎 Or is this a sacrilege for us Vogoners!

Nevertheless here's a small video showing that it can be done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIbBqZ9zAH4&feature=youtu.be

pd: BTW there is also a Windows95 version.

Reply 1 of 9, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Certain modern mobo still has ISA slot, which means you can install ISA sound card on modern mobo. One of them is Soyo SY-845PE; a Pentium 4 mobo with 3 ISA slots. So, you can have pure DOS running on Pentium 4, with sound. Now, how fast Amiga emulation would run on pure DOS system with fast CPU?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2 of 9, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice. :) Wonder if there are some Amiga benchmarks you can run to see how your performance stacks up against real machines.

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Certain modern mobo still has ISA slot, which means you can install ISA sound card on modern mobo. One of them is Soyo SY-845PE; a Pentium 4 mobo with 3 ISA slots. So, you can have pure DOS running on Pentium 4, with sound. Now, how fast Amiga emulation would run on pure DOS system with fast CPU?

That would probably do the trick for DosUAE, but the idea is to use the same machine for early '90s DOS games too, so I don't know how well that would work...

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 4 of 9, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

UAE is sloooooow yet it's also the only DOS amiga emulator that's usable; forget about the 486 for anything Amiga related.

Well, maybe a 486 not, but what about a socket 7 with a MMX CPU around the 200-233 Mhz range, which can still be quite flexible in terms of slowdowns?
You would be able to play early 90's games both from DOS + Amiga.

Reply 6 of 9, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to mess around with Fellow (aka DOSFellow) years ago and i remember it being a decent enough Amiga emulator for DOS... Although it's nothing compared to UAE these days (a bit basic in comparison). I think Fellow could only emulate OCS and maybe ECS hardware though.

Reply 7 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Because of the 50/60Hz I always thought consoles would be the perfect system for Amiga emulation. Not sure if there is anything out there.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 9, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am checking out some emulators on MSDOS. Actually I prefer Fellow over UAE because it seems that Fellow is more compatible and faster.
I am using a AMD K6/2-450 with PCI matrox mystique 4MB. I have setup 68k 512KB chip 512KB slow, 640x480 16Bit Hicolor abd 50hz with hardware VGA line-doubling so I get fullscreen image at 640x480 which is very nice! Game/Demos that have large scrolling are not sutterfree because this needs much more CPU power and a monitor which supports 50hz output. But games like IK+ runs just fine. I am using fellow36 within win95 perhaps under plain dos it's even better, but I did not have tested this.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines