Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 4560 of 5983, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NOD campaign of the original C&C done. I don't think I've played the NOD campaign since the late 90s, I've always preferred the GDI campaign with their stronger units and green grassy maps. In the time between I had become half convinced the NOD campaign is full of annoying guerilla missions where you don't get a base, and even the missions where you do get a base are much less fun thanks to the sad little tanks you get. Also I was sure you couldn't really use the iconic obelisk of light at all because it just gets instantly wrecked by ion cannon/air strike/orcas.

Wrong. Well, mostly wrong. The NOD campaign had a couple more missions where you couldn't just slap the construction yard right where you started and had to take it elsewhere first, but as a whole it had about the same amount of missions where you don't get a base at all. Also I didn't lose a single obelisk during the campaign to anything, you get to use them on the three last missions and I used them on the third last and the last missions. Didn't use them on the second last because one of my turrets got blown to hell by ion cannon and decided to not to build obelisks as a precaution.

The light tanks sure are dingy little toys compared to the tanks GDI gets, they do their job in masses against armor but it was pretty depressing to watch a dozen light tanks trying to kill a single rifleman with little success, but once flame tanks became available it was barbeque time!

So it wasn't as bad as I feared at all. I do still much prefer the GDI campaign just like I prefer the Soviet campaing in Red Alert, but unlike RA's Allied campaign this is something I can see myself playing again in the future.

Reply 4561 of 5983, by Jaron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2022-12-15, 06:49:

You are me.

This is why I joined here. These are definitely my people.

Newt gave a good summation of Morrowind. It can be frustrating at times because there's also no warnings against doing something stupid. There are lots of very tough dungeons and areas right by lower level areas, so wandering an extra 100 yards can easily get you killed. The world is what it is and it doesn't try to force you to play it a particular way. Nothing keeps you from meta-gaming it to death if you really want to. And interestingly, you can actually do things to make the game unwinnable, like if you kill someone important. You'll get a notice on-screen saying the main story now can't be completed, but it doesn't end the game or keep you from playing.

And there are LOTS of mods. Plenty of things to modernize the graphics, textures, and models, add creature comfort features, or whatever else you may want.

Sombrero wrote on 2022-12-15, 12:21:

The light tanks sure are dingy little toys compared to the tanks GDI gets, they do their job in masses against armor but it was pretty depressing to watch a dozen light tanks trying to kill a single rifleman with little success,

This must be a "grass is always greener" thing because I swear when I play GDI, a single light tank will just mow down an entire platoon of mine. Doesn't matter how much I tell them to scatter, they're all roadkill.

Reply 4562 of 5983, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jaron wrote on 2022-12-15, 18:06:

The light tanks sure are dingy little toys compared to the tanks GDI gets, they do their job in masses against armor but it was pretty depressing to watch a dozen light tanks trying to kill a single rifleman with little success,

This must be a "grass is always greener" thing because I swear when I play GDI, a single light tank will just mow down an entire platoon of mine. Doesn't matter how much I tell them to scatter, they're all roadkill.

The AI enemy is very efficient and eager to drive over infantry, but when they decide not to go all carmageddon on soldiers light tanks have very hard time killing infantry just by shooting with their peashooter both in players and in AI's hands. The AI in C&C doesn't play with same rules as the player in some things, scattering seems to be one of them. AI scurry around away from your tanks like cockroaches while your own infantry wouldn't be able to evade a train scheduled to arrive next week.

Reply 4563 of 5983, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Bard's Tale Trilogy Remastered

One of the things the developers could have done for this remake is related to better defining and explaining the inventory slots. It is quite difficult to keep track of who has what item in which slot and whether there are better options available in your inventory. It is largely a hunt, manually going through the party inventory for each character to see if anything you've picked up is an improvement over what that character already has. Finally, I broke down and created a spreadsheet to help me out:

bardstalecharacters.png
Filename
bardstalecharacters.png
File size
22.84 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

This will be really helpful in knowing what to look for post-combat in terms of loot. Now I know, for example, that I need 2 more Shield Rings, 2 more Elf Cloaks, and I will have a better idea of what upgrade paths are available to each character in each of their slots.

Interestingly, I did exactly this when playing Wizardry 6 and it helped tremendously.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4564 of 5983, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sombrero wrote on 2022-12-15, 18:52:

The AI enemy is very efficient and eager to drive over infantry, but when they decide not to go all carmageddon on soldiers light tanks have very hard time killing infantry just by shooting with their peashooter both in players and in AI's hands. The AI in C&C doesn't play with same rules as the player in some things, scattering seems to be one of them. AI scurry around away from your tanks like cockroaches while your own infantry wouldn't be able to evade a train scheduled to arrive next week.

Try the x key to have your infantry scatter. When I was trying to get through the nod campaign it came in pretty handy.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 4565 of 5983, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Namrok wrote on 2022-12-17, 16:06:
Sombrero wrote on 2022-12-15, 18:52:

Try the x key to have your infantry scatter. When I was trying to get through the nod campaign it came in pretty handy.

I am aware 😃

It just doesn't make the soldiers evade as efficiently as the AI's infantry, I got my guys run over so many times I stopped bothering. Infantry becomes nearly useless anyway the moment tanks are unlocked.

Reply 4566 of 5983, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote on 2022-12-17, 15:58:
The Bard's Tale Trilogy Remastered […]
Show full quote

The Bard's Tale Trilogy Remastered

One of the things the developers could have done for this remake is related to better defining and explaining the inventory slots. It is quite difficult to keep track of who has what item in which slot and whether there are better options available in your inventory. It is largely a hunt, manually going through the party inventory for each character to see if anything you've picked up is an improvement over what that character already has. Finally, I broke down and created a spreadsheet to help me out:
bardstalecharacters.png
This will be really helpful in knowing what to look for post-combat in terms of loot. Now I know, for example, that I need 2 more Shield Rings, 2 more Elf Cloaks, and I will have a better idea of what upgrade paths are available to each character in each of their slots.

Interestingly, I did exactly this when playing Wizardry 6 and it helped tremendously.

I do this same exact thing!!

Exile.jpg
Filename
Exile.jpg
File size
47.71 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

It definitely makes it easier to keep track of stuff.

Reply 4567 of 5983, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought myself a small Christmas present. Picked up the just released Terrestrial for the C64 today. Incredible piece of work and plan on giving it a whirl over the holiday season. Between this and the incredible free release of 'Eye of the Beholder' for the C64 it's a great time to be bathing in 8-bit.

Reply 4568 of 5983, by Jaron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
liqmat wrote on 2022-12-17, 17:12:

Bought myself a small Christmas present. Picked up the just released Terrestrial for the C64 today. Incredible piece of work and plan on giving it a whirl over the holiday season.

Reminds me a lot of Beach-Head, with its different stage types.

Reply 4569 of 5983, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought myself a small Christmas present. Picked up the just released Terrestrial for the C64 today. Incredible piece of work and plan on giving it a whirl over the holiday season. Between this and the incredible free release of 'Eye of the Beholder' for the C64 it's a great time to be bathing in 8-bit.

Nice! Will you be playing on original hardware or through emulation?

Reply 4570 of 5983, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote on 2022-12-17, 17:42:

Nice! Will you be playing on original hardware or through emulation?

I downsized my life to no vintage hardware since I am on the road so much... so emulation. Which is fine and coincidentally version 10 of C64 Forever from Cloanto just released a few days ago. I get free updates since I have a lifetime license from Cloanto. Should be fun.

Reply 4571 of 5983, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jaron wrote on 2022-12-17, 17:37:

Bought myself a small Christmas present. Picked up the just released Terrestrial for the C64 today. Incredible piece of work and plan on giving it a whirl over the holiday season.

Reminds me a lot of Beach-Head, with its different stage types.

Exactly, which is not a bad thing. I also like that 'Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom' trench run level. Very quality release.

Reply 4573 of 5983, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

and hecken's done. as usual, vanilla and keyboard only. (1.1 so i can't try the grief oink skip)

Not as monster closety as Heretic was later on, the combat was still manageable as it didn't try to dump iron liches on every turn and the bishops aren't as ambushy instant kill as the disciples. Certainly got crowded at the necropolis though, those flasks got used up quite frequently. and zedek's centaur filled place is probably the only time i used the repulsions

Some switches in shadow wood and heresiarch's seminary still remained a bit obtuse. Bosses were easy to cheese though. just flechette fart 'em as the cleric.

Deathkings doesn't play music right now so i'll probably skip that. 4mb doesn't sound like it has much new data anyway

Attachments

• hextime.png
    Filename
    hextime.png
    File size
    28.55 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4574 of 5983, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I play minecraft 1.7 on a Mac mini Late 2009 using a WinXp install.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 4575 of 5983, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
twiz11 wrote on 2022-12-17, 20:05:

Unreal Tournament 2004 at the moment but its playing to see if the new community master servers work as well for cd key verification so its more experimenting

OsX or WinXP, eighter way nice enough....

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 4578 of 5983, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-12-18, 19:54:

I'm a little over 2 hours into Wolfenstein. This game has a mixed reputation. So far it doesn't seem to be bad.

Which one? The 2009 version? That is the only FPS in this franchise I haven't played due to it not being available digitally. Keep us posted on how it compares to the rest of the FPS in the franchise.

Reply 4579 of 5983, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote on 2022-12-18, 21:57:
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-12-18, 19:54:

I'm a little over 2 hours into Wolfenstein. This game has a mixed reputation. So far it doesn't seem to be bad.

Which one? The 2009 version? That is the only FPS in this franchise I haven't played due to it not being available digitally. Keep us posted on how it compares to the rest of the FPS in the franchise.

Yes. That's the only one in the franchise that is plainly called Wolfenstein.
The base game play is closest to RtCW and the Veil abilities remind me of Dishonored. The hub world system with respawning enemies are a little bit annoying. There are 4 difficulty levels, I play it the second hardest and it isn't particularly challenging so far.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png