Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 5500 of 5992, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2023-11-25, 00:28:

I watched Dario Cassali's Half Life twenty fifth anniversary play through, and with all of the hype about how they updated a few things, I decided I'd try the Steam version again. It's different in some tiny ways, it still has some bugs ( I got hopelessly stuck in two different spots in On a Rail, some other things, I'm only half way through) but it's by far mostly the same.

they delisted half life source which frankly i never cared for anyway. GoldSrc (GoldSource or pre-source aka modified quake 1 engine) will always be superior. I loved Black Mesa though I doubt valve could have done the remake or remaster as well as crowbar collective.

iami

Reply 5501 of 5992, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
twiz11 wrote on 2023-11-25, 01:08:

I watched Dario Cassali's Half Life twenty fifth anniversary play through, and with all of the hype about how they updated a few things, I decided I'd try the Steam version again. It's different in some tiny ways, it still has some bugs ( I got hopelessly stuck in two different spots in On a Rail, some other things, I'm only half way through) but it's by far mostly the same.

they delisted half life source which frankly i never cared for anyway. GoldSrc (GoldSource or pre-source aka modified quake 1 engine) will always be superior. I loved Black Mesa though I doubt valve could have done the remake or remaster as well as crowbar collective.

I like Half-Life Source, but you have to get the version from the Half-Life 2 Game of the Year. From the YouTube videos I've seen, the version of Half-Life Source on Steam has all sorts of bugs, but the original release only has a few. Playing original Half-Life 1.1.1.0 has the elevator bug, which makes Zen impossibly hard because you can't hop to avoid it when you are on an elevator that spins, so I definitely prefer HL Source to that.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 5502 of 5992, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2023-11-25, 02:59:

I like Half-Life Source, but you have to get the version from the Half-Life 2 Game of the Year. From the YouTube videos I've seen, the version of Half-Life Source on Steam has all sorts of bugs, but the original release only has a few. Playing original Half-Life 1.1.1.0 has the elevator bug, which makes Zen impossibly hard because you can't hop to avoid it when you are on an elevator that spins, so I definitely prefer HL Source to that.

Definitely. That's why I didn't understand the complaints about Half-Life Source for a long time. Last time I played the Steam version was before the engine update and I had no issues. I think if they wanted to touch up any version of the game for modern systems, they should have did it to Source and leave the original alone.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 5503 of 5992, by Demetrio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RandomStranger wrote on 2023-11-25, 06:25:
Repo Man11 wrote on 2023-11-25, 02:59:

Definitely. That's why I didn't understand the complaints about Half-Life Source for a long time. Last time I played the Steam version was before the engine update and I had no issues. I think if they wanted to touch up any version of the game for modern systems, they should have did it to Source and leave the original alone.

After Black Mesa (2012 mod), the first Half-Life version I played was Source from Steam and I also recall not having too much issues (the worst I remember was the Marine AI which had sniper aim).
Maybe after the SteamPipe update, Half-Life: Source was broken and Valve didn't care to fix it 😁 (I wouldn't too as GoldSrc HL is the better version).

Reply 5504 of 5992, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession

Interesting. Most of these old classics have cluebooks or websites that document the best weapons and armor. Not this game. I have two swords that are very close in damage. I'm trying to determine which one is best.

Ancient Elven Sword +2: Damage: 2-9/2-13: Weight 3
Paladin's Sword +3: Damage: 1-8/1-12: Weight 3.5

The two damage ratings are "Damage vs. Small and Medium Creatures" / "Damage vs. Large Creatures"

BTW, this is for my created Paladin. On the surface, the Ancient Elven Sword seems best. But I did some experimenting on an undead creature I turned (see my previous post), and both swords seemed to do about the same damage per hit. For now, I'm sticking with the Ancient Elven Sword (my Paladin is Human). I figured there'd be some fansite out there that documented all the best weapons and armor, but I haven't found it yet. 🤷

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 5505 of 5992, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Paladin's sword is better because even though it is on average 1 pts less damage it is +3 to hit vs +2 which means it is 5% more likely to hit everything.

It is also entirely possible that the Paladin's sword in the hand of a Paladin may be functioning as +5 instead. You can check this out by looking at the character's THAC0 with each weapon in hand. Lower THAC0 is better.

Also, I don't know if Ravenloft 1 has them but there are creatures immune to magical weapons below +3 in AD&D.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 5506 of 5992, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think both swords actually would have the same damage range in effect, since the + is also added to all damage rolls (a +3 sword is incapable of doing just 1 damage, minimum would be 4).

That would make the Paladin's Sword the better weapon, since it also has a higher chance of hitting (as mentioned by appiah4 above).

Reply 5507 of 5992, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks @appiah4 and @newtmonkey.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 5508 of 5992, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
I decided to resume this one. I previously had completed the first planet, which gets you access to the rest of the planets. I decided to go with Tatooine, since that's where the first movie starts. I was surprised at how tiny this area is! What's worse is that it's padded out with a few mostly empty desert maps that are boring to run through. Oh well, it had some nice quests in it and looked cool.

So far, I like this game. It's nowhere near as good as Baldur's Gate, but much, much better than Neverwinter Nights. The dialog is a bit childish, but it's quite atmospheric between the alien environments and soundtrack. Combat seems mostly mindless once you've gained some levels, though using items and abilities adds some strategy. I've got used to the interface now, but it's still quite bad imo... clearly designed for controllers and living room TVs first, and then awkwardly adapted to mouse and keyboard.

I'll probably do Kashyyyk next, since that's the only other planet I recognize from what little I know about Star Wars.

Reply 5509 of 5992, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

'Shadow of the Tomb Raider' has now been completed, 100% (excluding achievements, which I don't prioritize.). A pretty good series, combat is far and away more interesting and fun than it has ever been. Similar to my enjoyment of the military encounters in 'Half-Life,' I really liked these sections. Puzzles in the game are fine, but it's another area of gaming with which I don't prioritize.

This is the first 3rd-person game I played using only a mouse and keyboard. Now that I am used to the precision of the mouse, it will be difficult to return to a controller if I ever need to aim at anything.

Reply 5510 of 5992, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Steam Community.png
Filename
Steam Community.png
File size
55.2 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The game became a lot longer than expected. I expected to finish the game this weekend and I'm unsure if I can on the next one. Roughly 10 game hours ago I unlocked the endgame armor, fully upgraded my weapons, finished most if not all the side missions, and the... Chapter 2 started. Combat is no longer a challenge, unless I get swarmed by high level enemies. One thing that annoys me that even people in my own faction I outrank being a regent, and also having some notable achievements, they are still regularly disrespect me. It's not exclusive to this game, most don't handle well the player character's authority.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 5511 of 5992, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been playing The Simpsons Hit and Run on my Pentium 4 Win XP machine. Im on level 5 of 7. Trying to 100 percent each level before moving on. Very fun game , great graphics and sound .

Reply 5512 of 5992, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Law212 wrote on 2023-11-27, 21:43:

I've been playing The Simpsons Hit and Run on my Pentium 4 Win XP machine. Im on level 5 of 7. Trying to 100 percent each level before moving on. Very fun game , great graphics and sound .

😀 i have an old copy for ps2 - its fun and agree it looks and plays really well, but i'm not much good at it!

Reply 5513 of 5992, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerry wrote on 2023-11-27, 22:01:
Law212 wrote on 2023-11-27, 21:43:

😀 i have an old copy for ps2 - its fun and agree it looks and plays really well, but i'm not much good at it!

Im stuck on an Apu mission in lvel 5. Its a times mission and I always run out of time right at the end.

Reply 5514 of 5992, by bobsmith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Beat Deus Ex for the first time. Extremely impressive, cannot believe I've never played it before.

Spoiler

I personally choose the New Dark Age ending, and it's sad I couldn't keep Paul alive, but I didn't even know I could save him.

JC is gonna have to be added to my list of FPS heroes.

I tried giving Kingpin Life of Crime a chance, but I couldn't exactly figure out what was going on. I woke up after being jumped by 2 guys and wasn't told what to do really. Walked in a gun store and was asked if I could grab something from a warehouse crawling with gang members in exchange for a 1911.

Main PC : MSI PRO B650M-P Ryzen 5 7600, 32GB DDR5-5600, XFX RX 7600
P3 build : ASUS CUSL2-C, Pentium III @ 733MHz (Coppermine), Voodoo3 3000 AGP, 384 MB SDR-100, Audigy 2 ZS, Netgear GA311

Reply 5515 of 5992, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bobsmith wrote on 2023-11-28, 15:07:
Beat Deus Ex for the first time. Extremely impressive, cannot believe I've never played it before. […]
Show full quote

Beat Deus Ex for the first time. Extremely impressive, cannot believe I've never played it before.

Spoiler

I personally choose the New Dark Age ending, and it's sad I couldn't keep Paul alive, but I didn't even know I could save him.

I tried giving Kingpin Life of Crime a chance, but I couldn't exactly figure out what was going on. I woke up after being jumped by 2 guys and wasn't told what to do really. Walked in a gun store and was asked if I could grab something from a warehouse crawling with gang members in exchange for a 1911.

i have played deus ex a few times and love the 'world building', it seems to become more believable over time strangely!

some people comment on graphics and gameplay elements not aging well, but to me its fine as it is

agree on kingpin - there might be a good game in there but it doesn't draw you in

Reply 5516 of 5992, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Deus Ex is indeed a masterpiece, and has stood the test of time quite well. The graphics may be outdated, and they weren't so great even back then, but pretty much everything else in that game is still awesome.

A word of caution of you intend to play the sequel Deus Ex 2: Invisible War. It's a very different game, and many fans of the original don't like it, so temper your expectations accordingly.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 5517 of 5992, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Beat Deus Ex for the first time. Extremely impressive, cannot believe I've never played it before. […]
Show full quote

Spoiler

Thats funny, I started playing Deus Ex on my Pentium 3. I have never played the game before. I am on mission 2 so far. THe first one was great. Cant wait to get further into the game

Reply 5519 of 5992, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2023-11-29, 10:59:

Flamesuit ON: System Shock 2 is everything Deus Ex is and more.

I don't think you'll get much argument on that. Most people who like Deus Ex also enjoy System Shock 2 and vice versa.

Personally, I'm slightly more fond of Deus Ex because its setting better suits my tastes, and also because it doesn't have respawning enemies. But I have to say, the Deus Ex bad guys pale in comparison to the nightmare that is SHODAN.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi