Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 5742 of 5973, by mln

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Greywolf1 wrote on 2024-02-16, 14:09:

Currently playing the lands of lore series with a little bit of dark forces, duke3d, warcraft2, krush kill n destroy and dune 2000 and breath of fire3 on the ps1(batocera)

just finished Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness

Reply 5744 of 5973, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mln wrote on 2024-02-16, 14:47:

Orcs, Humans or both? Are you going to play the expansion (Beyond the Dark Portal)?

dr_st wrote on 2024-01-17, 21:25:

Now my hands are almost itching to start on the Price of Loyalty expansion campaigns immediately, but I know I probably need a break from the game.

So I took a couple of weeks off, and then decided to start with the shorter campaigns of PoL. Well, what I thought was shorter. The Wizard's Isle is tricky. I did the optional map for the 'Orb of Negation' artifact, and it immediately became obvious why it's a game changer against the crazy Warlocks in the last map.

I found this campaign very enjoyable. The same castle every time gets old a bit, but each of the 4 maps is based around a unique concept / mechanic, so it is not boring. As usual, the last map is very challenging, and I had to reload past saves a number of times.

Edit: Turns out that most of the difficulties I experienced on the last map were due to a design bug, where the warlock enemy may get the Dimension Door spell, bypass all the barriers that are supposed to keep it trapped, and roam the map with almost a hundred Black Dragons in the first few weeks. This is not how the map was meant to be played, but I had to deal with it during my playthrough.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5745 of 5973, by AndrettiGTO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
StriderTR wrote on 2024-02-13, 06:37:

Just got done re-playing Serious Sam 4, again, with mods. 😀

Love the entire Serious series!

Some games never grow old!

It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eyeball

Reply 5746 of 5973, by mln

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2024-02-16, 19:18:
mln wrote on 2024-02-16, 14:47:

Orcs, Humans or both? Are you going to play the expansion (Beyond the Dark Portal)?

Both. However, I found Humans campaign more interesting. I'll play BtDP later, right now I am looking for some FPS, maybe Half-Life or Duke3D.

Reply 5747 of 5973, by Greywolf1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Plenty to pick from
Dark forces
Depth dwellers
Rise of the triad
Blake stone
Hexen
Heretic
Blood
System shock
Cyclones
Tek wars
Amsterdoom
Don’t know if you can include the next ones,
Magic carpet
Stonekeep
Decent

Reply 5748 of 5973, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dark Souls II
I've completed this twice before, once playing as a melee-focused character on the original release on PS3 (no DLC, etc. installed) back when it was released in 2014, and then once playing as a pyromancer in the Scholar of the First Sin release on PC (including completing all DLC). I was watching a video on YouTube that convinced me that the original release was worth revisiting, and it just so happened that the game was on sale... so I bought it and gave it a shot.

I noticed right away that the original game is quite different from the SotFS version. There are fewer enemies in most areas, and they don't aggro as easily. It feels a lot more like playing the first Dark Souls. The maps are sometimes more freely explorable than in SotFS, since the latter game throws a bunch of statues in front of doors for some reason, and the only way to pass is to use a rare item to depetrify them. This always seemed weird to me, and I didn't recall the PS3 version being like that, so it's cool to see that the original release indeed did not do this.

This time around, I decided to play as a sorcerer up to a point, and then use one of the respec items to switch to a hex wizard. I've never used either of these types of spells before, so it's been a lot of fun figuring things out. One thing I love about this series is that you're hardly ever "stuck" at some tough boss or area. The game usually gives you enough freedom to explore at least a few areas at a time, so if you get frustrated you can just explore elsewhere. You're also constantly working on something or another (stats, equipment, spells), and it feels great when you character build starts to come together.

Reply 5749 of 5973, by Delbert Pena

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just finished playing College Brawl and it was such a great experience that I definitely think you should stop by and play it.

Last edited by Delbert Pena on 2024-02-26, 02:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5750 of 5973, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am playing Alba with my daughter lately and it is a very charming and fun adventure exploration game I would recommend to anyone who wants to introduce their children to PC gaming 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 5753 of 5973, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote on 2024-02-22, 14:53:

Between the Terminator: Dark Fate - Defiance RTS and RoboCop: Rogue City FPS being released this week, I'll be busy for the rest of the month.

Great time for 80s franchises. You'll have to grab a copy of the Ghostbusters game after these.

Reply 5754 of 5973, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-02-23, 03:11:

Great time for 80s franchises. You'll have to grab a copy of the Ghostbusters game after these.

Indeed. I had no idea the Robocop game had been released months ago, but the GOG release will do just fine. Speaking of Ghostbusters, I just caught on that a new movie comes out next month. Didn’t care for the last two in the franchise so not getting my hopes up too high.

Reply 5755 of 5973, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just started playing Enderal, the Skyrim-engined overhaul.

I have probably put several hundred hours in to Skyrim over the years, on PC, Xbox 360 and PS4... And this is like meeting someone you once knew at school, but they're now much cooler and a secret UFC cage fighter at the weekend.

Everything feels similar, but somehow different. It also plays much, much more difficult. You very much can't just run off and start exploring off the beaten path straight away. You are pretty weak at the beginning and the odd rat or wolf can easily take you down... Never mind a group of 2 or 3 skeletons.

Quite liking it so far.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 5756 of 5973, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
megatron-uk wrote on 2024-02-25, 19:24:
Just started playing Enderal, the Skyrim-engined overhaul. […]
Show full quote

Just started playing Enderal, the Skyrim-engined overhaul.

I have probably put several hundred hours in to Skyrim over the years, on PC, Xbox 360 and PS4... And this is like meeting someone you once knew at school, but they're now much cooler and a secret UFC cage fighter at the weekend.

Everything feels similar, but somehow different. It also plays much, much more difficult. You very much can't just run off and start exploring off the beaten path straight away. You are pretty weak at the beginning and the odd rat or wolf can easily take you down... Never mind a group of 2 or 3 skeletons.

Quite liking it so far.

i looked that up - looks great

a team of 14 took 5 years to develop it, and its free

how is that possible ! ?

(i guess because its free time after the day jobs, which is not free 😀 )

Reply 5757 of 5973, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm playing a few different games right now. Unreal (which is the game that got me loving FPS games)
Age of Empires (I have never made it past the Egypt campaign even though I have had this game since my mom bought the gold edition for me one Xmas many many years ago.
Half Life (This game is great , I have finished in in the past along with the expansions, but it was time to go back to it)
No One Lives Forever ( I have finished this before but its time to finish it again then play the sequel)

Reply 5758 of 5973, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I started playing Sierra's Conquest of Camelot and, which is rare for me, played it nearly all the way through to what I assume is the final section. However, turns out that in classic adventure game manner I overlooked a room in the starting location (castle Camelot) where you were supposed to talk to Merlin and receive an item to solve one of the final puzzles. So, basically I've been walking-dead all the way through this otherwise lovely game. Most infuriatingly, this otherwise lovely game literally kills you if you leave the starting location without performing some other tasks that, as far as I can tell only provide you with some very mild hints, but it totally let's you go into an unwinnable without the item in question... aaaarrrghhh.

Anyway, great SCI game with beautiful EGA graphics, puzzles/riddles are entertaining and not too hard but then there's the stereotypical bad game design.

I also started playing a title published by Sierra, the ungainly titled Fire Hawk: Thexder - The Second Contact. Having neither read the manual nor gotten past the first stage, I can say that it's either a hard game or that I'm approaching it wrong. Manoeuvering as the mecha feels responsive enough and it's pleasing to just let the laser weapon mow the enemies down while backpaddeling but controlling the fighter jet is less than intuitive, especially since the down arrow turns you back into the mecha no matter where you are in space.

You can choose between the low resolution 320x200 MCGA and high resolution 640x200 EGA mode which uses dithering to display the extra colours. I think this makes the game look very unique for a DOS title and very, for lack of a better word, MSX-y. Apparently the studio's other DOS titles (Zeliard and Thexder 1) use the same graphics mode. Come to think of it, I want to say that New World Computing's Tunnels and Trolls also uses the EGA highres mode and dithering, as well as Legend Entertainment's and Magnetic Scroll's graphical text adventures.

Fun (??) fact: Fate of Atlantis also supports EGA highres. Who knew.

Some more info on the topic.

Reply 5759 of 5973, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
henryVK wrote on 2024-02-26, 14:05:

You can choose between the low resolution 320x200 MCGA and high resolution 640x200 EGA mode which uses dithering to display the extra colours. I think this makes the game look very unique for a DOS title and very, for lack of a better word, MSX-y. Apparently the studio's other DOS titles (Zeliard and Thexder 1) use the same graphics mode. Come to think of it, I want to say that New World Computing's Tunnels and Trolls also uses the EGA highres mode and dithering, as well as Legend Entertainment's and Magnetic Scroll's graphical text adventures.

That probably comes from the fact that the developers were originally targeting the PC-88 which had a similar hi-res mode. A lot of games of that era which started out in Japan would have been written for relatively hi-res, but low colour depth systems. It's a trait that continued throughout the PC-98 era as well. It probably contributed to the traditional hi-res dithered display of a lot of later titles.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net