Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 1660 of 5944, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right now I finished an exhaustive adventure game - Indiana Jones and The Fate Of Atlantis. My God. Exhaustive. From 6PM to 3AM in the middle of the night with a stop for dinner. I may go to a shower and my deserved bed time now. At least its one game down - I need to play Full Throttle in another weekend.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 1662 of 5944, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jmarsh wrote on 2019-12-29, 06:23:

Pfft if you've only played through Indy once you've got two more paths to do.

Please, don’t tempt me. I’m not that type of player. It was hard enough to do it once. I would probably do that ten years ago, but not now. Besides, one more thing down from my bucket list.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRhEwXrC23FXhuNrdAZiK0FJUu6dt6IiUPrFW5ixhLVCyNtBLBf

Hahahahaha

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 1663 of 5944, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote on 2019-12-28, 11:29:
badmojo wrote on 2019-12-28, 06:36:

Bodacious - what sort of PC requirements are we talking for Wiz8? I had a google around a 233Mhz Windows 9X machine seems to be minimum but what of a 3D accelerator? Required?

I believe 3D acceleration is required. Recommended minimums are Win95, 233MMX, DX6 with D3D, Glide or OGL, and 8MB graphics memory. I've never played it on less than 1Ghz though, with either GF3 or Voodoo, so I have no idea how it will run at 233Mhz. I'm curious, let me know how it goes. 😀

I came across CGW's review and they recommend a PII 350, 128MB RAM and 32MB video card. BTW, 64MB RAM is the minimum. And I loaded up my install on a P3 933, ran the setup program and see that there is a software(MMX) mode which I tested. Quite choppy on my system even at 640x480. I can't imagine how it would run on a 233MMX. I'd say with something like a Voodoo2 it might be playable with that cpu. Here are all the video options:
glide2x
DX6
DX7
OpenGL
Software (MMX)

Sound options include A3D1 and 2, Dolby, DirectSound, EAX1 and 2, and Miles Fast 2D positional audio. Supports 640x480 through 1280x1024.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1664 of 5944, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One more.

Fists is just.. lame.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1665 of 5944, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm now trying to play FIFA 98 RTWC on Windows 2000. The game is very playable, but the menus are messed up for some reason. When I played with Windows XP it was fine. It's difficult to navigate through the menus when you forget where are the buttons. They only reveal when I mouse over the areas and when I get to choose which side I play, it gets even harder.

EDIT: I switched to FIFA 99, and the issue still persists. It's the nglide. for some reason. Well. If I use the Software Renderer in 3DSetup, it works but its 1024x768. I actually wanted to use nglide because it would allow me to use a wider resolution. (In FIfa 98 RTWC I can use a wider resolution, but menus are glitchy as well).

Anyway, managed to play a friendly and won. It has been 15 years since I last played it...

Last edited by Bruninho on 2019-12-30, 01:20. Edited 1 time in total.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 1666 of 5944, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2019-12-29, 20:12:

One more.

Fists is just.. lame.

no it's not, you can pass every tougher guy the smart way without fighting

Reply 1667 of 5944, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote on 2019-12-29, 19:24:
I came across CGW's review and they recommend a PII 350, 128MB RAM and 32MB video card. BTW, 64MB RAM is the minimum. And I lo […]
Show full quote

I came across CGW's review and they recommend a PII 350, 128MB RAM and 32MB video card. BTW, 64MB RAM is the minimum. And I loaded up my install on a P3 933, ran the setup program and see that there is a software(MMX) mode which I tested. Quite choppy on my system even at 640x480. I can't imagine how it would run on a 233MMX. I'd say with something like a Voodoo2 it might be playable with that cpu. Here are all the video options:
glide2x
DX6
DX7
OpenGL
Software (MMX)

Sound options include A3D1 and 2, Dolby, DirectSound, EAX1 and 2, and Miles Fast 2D positional audio. Supports 640x480 through 1280x1024.

Great stuff - based on this it's clear that my other Win98 box is better suited; 1GHz PIII / Voodoo3 / Vortex2. I bought the game on GOG for peanuts (I love GOG!), installed it on my Win10 machine, and copied the result onto my Win98 machine. I deleted the GOG related files / nglide, and it worked A-OK in software mode / DirectX7. Choosing Glide2x in the 3D setup app caused the game to crash on startup - also removing the 6 '3Dfx...' and 'Glide...' DLLs that were included (presumably by GOG) in the game directory sorted that out.

So I seem to be all set! Once I finish with Outward I'll dive in. Thanks again for the help.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1668 of 5944, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Still playing Doom (2016) and I'm kind of amazed how good this game still looks despite being 3 full years old. It also performs amazingly on my mid-range Ryzen 2600, RX480 system. id haven't release many good games since Quake 3 (I really enjoyed the first Rage by the way) but they sure have re-discovered themselves with Doom (2016).

Doom-2016-001.jpg

Doom-2016-002.jpg

Doom-2016-003.jpg

Doom-2016-004.jpg

Just Ultra settings, no post proc, so nothing nobody ever saw before - but damn, I really like how this game looks.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1669 of 5944, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2019-12-30, 14:20:

Still playing Doom (2016) and I'm kind of amazed how good this game still looks despite being 3 full years old. It also performs amazingly on my mid-range Ryzen 2600, RX480 system.

I've only played in the very beginning of the game (just got out onto the outer planet) but I can attest to how finely tuned the game engine is. I hover right around 60 fps with lows in the low 50s on an i5-4590/GTX 750Ti combo. The game is on Medium details. A little surprised how relevant the 750Ti can be on modern games if you just play with the detail settings a bit.

Reply 1670 of 5944, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm most of the way through the DOS version of Blizzard's Blackthorne; on the third to last level to be precise and it's getting pretty rough 😁

Never finished this one when I played it as a kid but I always liked the aesthetic even if the overall package is not without fault. I feel like an option to turn off the music wouldn't have been too much to ask. It get's super repetitive really fast. I think generally this could have been ported a bit better, but then, the password systems makes for a lot more gameplay because you have to play through every level dozens of times before you have it pat. The last level in the canyon episode is particularly bad because it introduces a passage of timed jumps at the very end of the level... that is pure evil.

Reply 1671 of 5944, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I discovered the lineup from Arkane Studios this year with Prey. This game is absolutely amazing and everything I ever wanted - various hints to System Shock, a setting on a space station and a very rich story with a lot of mysteries. It's so much fun to get immersed into this game world and yet, it's not too big. I finished the game after about 16 hours.

After that, I looked into the other games that studio has made and now I'm at Dishonored 2 - already blazed through the first one. These guys sure know how to create immersive simulations.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 1672 of 5944, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For some reason I cannot play Grand Prix Manager 2 on WIndows 3.11 without the CD ROM... and the patches to version 1.02b requires DirectPlay *facepalm* so no chance of playing a less buggy version of the game on WIndows 3.x. But I remember playing it when I was a kid on WIndows 95.

At least I can play on my other machine, a Windows 2000 Pro build.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 1673 of 5944, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Didn't take screenshots, but yesterday & today I played through the last two bonus quests in Lara Croft: Go. 100%ed everything, all unlockables, all achievements. I don't do that very often. It was fairly easy overall, but some of the later puzzles got pretty devious. Just touched 10h of playtime according to Steam (most people could probably beat it faster, but I like to mess around a lot - backtrack, look for alternate solutions, etc.) Great little game!

I also figured out it's completely DRM free, if any of you are wondering about that. Download it on Steam once & you can copy it over to any PC you want.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1674 of 5944, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finished Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, really great games. Started Mass Effect 3 now.

I've also been playing Powerslave in the new build engine port by sirlemonhead, I love the level design in this game and it's balanced well so far.

Still need to finish Doom 3 and FEAR. Got bored of TOW and uninstalled it, it's just a boring game to me.

Reply 1675 of 5944, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RoyBatty wrote on 2020-01-10, 21:51:

Still need to finish Doom 3 and FEAR. Got bored of TOW and uninstalled it, it's just a boring game to me.

What's TOW? FEAR is pretty good, not great, but worth finishing.

I'm just about 100 hrs into Wizardry 7 and I think I'm about halfway through the game. 😵 This is a LONG game, good thing I like it as much as I do, but even still, I just came off of a 111 hr playthrough of Wizardry 6, and I imagine Wizardry 8, once I'm done with 7, will be another 80-100 hrs. I may be due for a break. I've got lots of FPS options to break up the monatony:
Doom3/Doom 2016, Portal 1/2, Stalker series, Bioshock series, Metro Last Light (I beat 2033), and Crysis are all on my short list. I'd love to play Wolfenstein: The New Order, but I'm going to wait for the next sale before I pick it up. Any of these should play great on my new GTX 1650 Super.

Reply 1676 of 5944, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I finished up Blackthorne last week, beating the evil overlord Sarlac and freeing the player characters' homeworld from enslavement. As the final confrontation drew near, I began to wonder what it would actually look like, given Blackthorne's peek-n-shoot style combat, which is mostly a pretty static affair. It requires the player to duck in and out of cover while timing shots with respect to the enemies' relative movement patterns, which have some randomisation, i.e. the number of shots an enemy will fire before ducking back into cover and the time it takes before they, very ponderously, take another step in towards the player's position. The latter is due to the enemies' ability to kick or strike at the player when they're up close and out of cover. With the later enemies packing a decent punch, this mechanic makes for reasonably engaging shootouts and the game somewhat cleverly employs lack of room to manoeuvre in order to create tension, but, like the game in general, it does get somewhat repetitive once you've tried beating a level a number of times and know how to time your shots and movement up until a certain point.

So, since its usually considered good game design for the final challenge to be somewhat of a test for your abilities to work with the game mechanics so far introduced, I couldn't quite picture how the designers were going to craft an engaging boss battle using the game's mixture of rigid gunplay, obstacle-based platforming, mild puzzles and sluggish movement of the player character!

And, as I had already anticipated, Blackthorne decides to change up it's core game mechanic at the very last minute: Sarlac is fast and constantly moves around the small throne room area where you encouter him and, unlike all other enemies so far, taking cover doesn't dodge his powerful melee attack. This means that when he zooms in (after taking pot shots from the edge of the screen, which can be avoided by taking cover, or calling down lightning strikes, which have to be dodged by moving out of the way) the player has to walk one step away from him in the one direction and then one step in the other direction as soon as Sarlac teleports "behind" the player to repeat his attack. This game of evade the lightning and the melee two-step are unprecedented in terms of mechanics and I'm still not sure if this is a good thing to throw at the player after 12 levels of puzzle platforming and peekaboo shotouts. It goes without saying that Sarlac takes a lot more shots to kill than any other enemy so far, so many, in fact, that the designers threw in another 11th-hour innovation: an enemy health bar.

So, in conclusion, I would have found this sudden change of pace a bit annoying if I had not, to my own surprise, managed to beat Sarlac on the fifth or so try. That was probably for the best, since I couldn't see myself investing a lot more time in Blackthorne. The game was fun while it lasted, but had it lasted even a bit longer frustration would have definitely outweighed enjoyment!

Reply 1677 of 5944, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What can I say? I was playing Solitaire, Windows 3.1 on my iPad Pro last night 😜

Took at least ten attempts to be able to finish the game *shameful face*

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 1678 of 5944, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schmatzler wrote on 2020-01-01, 14:16:

I discovered the lineup from Arkane Studios this year with Prey. This game is absolutely amazing and everything I ever wanted - various hints to System Shock, a setting on a space station and a very rich story with a lot of mysteries. It's so much fun to get immersed into this game world and yet, it's not too big. I finished the game after about 16 hours.

After that, I looked into the other games that studio has made and now I'm at Dishonored 2 - already blazed through the first one. These guys sure know how to create immersive simulations.

They also worked on the brilliant Bioshock 2 (by far the best of the three Bioshock games, if you ask me), the first Dishonoured (a great game, but I think it's sequel is better), and two games that I've not yet played; Arx Fatalis, and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. Arx Fatalis is supposedly very good, I've not heard about DMoMaM.

Prey 2017 is mostly very good, but it does have some real flaws, such as the drop in quality of the last parts of the game, the terrible ending, not enough randomisation in the game (more randomisation of events and objects' locations might have greatly increased the game's replayability), and the unconvincing nature of the enemies. They aren't unnerving in the way that System Shock 2's (Prey's closest comparison game) enemies are, and whereas in SS2, the randomly spawning enemies do seem to be freely roving the ship, in Prey 2017 they don't feel like they're exploring (they rarely move far from their spawning points) so there's no sense of foreboding, or the fear that you're being stalked by enemies. And some of the powers you can get are very underused (for example, and ************** spoilers to anyone who hasn't seen the game's trailer **************I only used the shape-shifter ability to get through small holes (by changing into a coffee mug or something equally small), whereas surely something as brilliant as that ability should have had more in-game uses).

Prey is still a fantastic game though. Unfotunately, I heard that sales of Prey 2017 weren't nearly as high as hoped, so a sequel or a similar game seem unlikely.

Reply 1679 of 5944, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2019-12-27, 05:30:

Doom (2016). It is the most fun I had with a shooter since Doom (1993). It is also dirt cheap on the Steam sale you should all buy and play it.

Doom 2016 is really good. The sequel is due out in a couple of months, and is looking really good too.