VOGONS

Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 3180 of 3188, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok. So after much effort with Populous, well, no. I didn't beat the level.

I hacked the game.

Brushing up on x86 assembly and DOSBOX's debug tools, I figured out the bytes that set if you are in Conquest mode or Custom mode. I then found the checks that prevent you from altering the enemies abilities if you are in Conquest mode. They are at hex address 102a1 in POPULOUS.EXE. Changing the value from 74 (jump if equal) to EB (just jump) allows you to press B during play, and edit the enemies abilities, aggression and response times even in Conquest mode.

I may not have the reaction times, or the steady mouse hand, at my age to compete with the AI at the highest reaction time. But I'll consider this a hard won victory over it all the same.

Reply 3181 of 3188, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Prince of Persia 2.

I am taking a few hours to revisit this nostalgic gem from my past. It's a cool game. I remember being hugely impressed by it at the time of release. The combination of platform puzzling, technical merits (e.g. very few floppy games could afford space for a full-speech narrator throughout), and exotic setting occupied a special niche.

pop2bridge.png
Filename
pop2bridge.png
File size
85.29 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Some of the graphics are extremely impressive in the 256-colour imagery, and a strong general sense of atmosphere is imparted by these in conjunction with the dynamic Persian music.

The game is certainly not without flaws. The time countdown, where the player is allowed a hard 75-minute limit to complete the entire game. The combat, the proportion of which is increased from the original game and can sometimes be a drag, given the limited options. Control can be frustrating occasionally, though this is a bugbear worn by a lot of retro platforming - some may even call it a deliberate hallmark of the style.

The puzzling and maze exploration aspects (while basking in the aforementioned atmosphere) are the most enjoyable part of the game, with the level design being generally well done. Despite the few flaws the game still stands as a very satisfying sequel to the original and revered title, particularly in light of what it achieved with little fanfare and in the context of it's 1993 release date.

Reply 3184 of 3188, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm playing through Half-Life on my Pentium 233 MMX machine with a Voodoo 1 at 512x384. Framerate varies a lot depending on the area, amount of enemies, explosions, etc. Most of the time it's decent enough imo considering the hardware, though occasionally it dips down to the single digits to the point where the sound effects chop up. So far I've been able to get to On A Rail, so I'd say it's playable.

Reply 3185 of 3188, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
thepirategamerboy12 wrote on Yesterday, 04:27:

I'm playing through Half-Life on my Pentium 233 MMX machine with a Voodoo 1 at 512x384. Framerate varies a lot depending on the area, amount of enemies, explosions, etc. Most of the time it's decent enough imo considering the hardware, though occasionally it dips down to the single digits to the point where the sound effects chop up. So far I've been able to get to On A Rail, so I'd say it's playable.

The MMX233 was released in mid-97 (i.e. was the top of line CPU at the time). HL1 came out in late 98. I LOT of people would still have been rocking that cpu or slower, although by late-98 maybe most of them would have upgraded GPUs.

Reply 3186 of 3188, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on Yesterday, 05:02:

The MMX233 was released in mid-97 (i.e. was the top of line CPU at the time). HL1 came out in late 98. I LOT of people would still have been rocking that cpu or slower, although by late-98 maybe most of them would have upgraded GPUs.

Perhaps. Tbh, I'd still much rather play it like this over the unreleased Dreamcast port. The loading times are actually pretty short, the DC loading times are horrendous. Here's an image of it running, btw. I've just made it to Residue Processing.

Half-Life Voodoo 1.jpg
Filename
Half-Life Voodoo 1.jpg
File size
1.71 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3188 of 3188, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I didn't think HL look that good around release, in fact I was quite disappointed they junked the whole progs interpreter (as Quake2 was similarly disappointing for doing that).

There will be some severe dips later on Xen, though HL is deifnitely completeable on those specs. Some artists at Valve in old interviews noted the importance of designing texture sizes for 4MB video hardware, so the OG VG were definitely in mind during the entire development. There is a lot of texture switching going on with lots of small textures however

If things get real thrashy, you can always throw +set gl_picmip 1 into the shortcut.

apsosig.png