Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 3260 of 5847, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dune 2 was a revolutionary game, at least for me.

Personally I did the mistake of starting many games, I'm trying to finish Tomb Raider 1. It runs better on my P2 @400 with voodoo 2 12mb than on my k2-2+ @450 MHz. I have always had the feeling most games are optimized for pentiums..

Reply 3261 of 5847, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jed118 wrote on 2021-08-28, 05:38:
Namrok wrote on 2021-08-24, 03:33:

Well... I wrapped up Day of the Tentacle. That was shorter than I remember. Then again, many of the puzzles were much easier than when I was a child. I also only ever played it at a friends house in middle school over several weeks in short burst.

Hah, still talk to that friend? I do - I offered him to build a 286 on our quarter-century friendshippaversary but he was like, "nah, vodka and diapers, please." He was never into the PCs as much as I was. Cars is debatable 😉

As for games, Dune II extended on my 486. I just discovered this thing in mid July (random YouTube vid), I finished it off early August. Great game, replayability is meh, some of the Fremen and Sardaukar texts (the last 2 missions on each) are repeats of the Atreides and Harkonnen, respectively, but overall, yeah I could't stop.

Alas, I do not. I made the sorts of youthful mistakes you make as a 13 year old and we stopped being friends at some point. I found him and emailed him at some point a few years ago, but never heard back.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 3262 of 5847, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Namrok wrote on 2021-08-28, 14:41:

Alas, I do not. I made the sorts of youthful mistakes you make as a 13 year old and we stopped being friends at some point. I found him and emailed him at some point a few years ago, but never heard back.

Yes. I've run into this over the years. Contact old friend. I usually get no response to downright hostile. 🤣 Sometimes a lukewarm reply as they have a slight curiosity. I finally figured out, in most cases, let the past rest in the past. What once was is never the same again.

Reply 3264 of 5847, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote on 2021-08-28, 16:34:

Yes. I've run into this over the years. Contact old friend. I usually get no response to downright hostile. 🤣 Sometimes a lukewarm reply as they have a slight curiosity. I finally figured out, in most cases, let the past rest in the past. What once was is never the same again.

Yep, there's one high school friend I have tried to contact a few times - he'll talk to me until he realizes who I am. Then stops. No idea, I didn't think we had a falling out, we just drifted apart. Others I'm still friends with and they're pretty much the same people, which is awesome. I guess I didn't really change too much from that time, and those that also didn't still relate. The ones that did, I guess I'll never know! But yeah, I don't dwell on it. I have people I wouldn't reply to if they contacted me (very few, but I'm sure there's some).

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 3265 of 5847, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jed118 wrote on 2021-08-29, 19:42:

Yep, there's one high school friend I have tried to contact a few times - he'll talk to me until he realizes who I am. Then stops. No idea, I didn't think we had a falling out, we just drifted apart. Others I'm still friends with and they're pretty much the same people, which is awesome. I guess I didn't really change too much from that time, and those that also didn't still relate. The ones that did, I guess I'll never know! But yeah, I don't dwell on it. I have people I wouldn't reply to if they contacted me (very few, but I'm sure there's some).

Over time, people's impressions of who we are (or rather, were) drift. Things they didn't like about us might be amplified by memory and time, and ultimately become a prejudice against the person themselves. Or at least, against the exaggerated, selective-memory version of the person.

Another option is the way quite a few people will, at some critical period of their lives - perhaps long after they knew you, and for reasons not related to you at all - deliberately and permanently sever from aspects of their pasts, as a way of compartmentalizing certain feelings or choices.

Reply 3266 of 5847, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also the last three old buddies in contact may have been pushing a pyramid scheme 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3267 of 5847, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shreddoc wrote on 2021-08-29, 20:03:
Jed118 wrote on 2021-08-29, 19:42:

Over time, people's impressions of who we are (or rather, were) drift. Things they didn't like about us might be amplified by memory and time, and ultimately become a prejudice against the person themselves. Or at least, against the exaggerated, selective-memory version of the person.

Another option is the way quite a few people will, at some critical period of their lives - perhaps long after they knew you, and for reasons not related to you at all - deliberately and permanently sever from aspects of their pasts, as a way of compartmentalizing certain feelings or choices.

I'm not an ideal person, I have my flaws, but I tend to think I was full of life (still mostly am) and was a typical rebel without a cause, but with a car and an attitude. If anything i will say about myself, I never did take myself seriously, and I pushed the envelope pretty hard. What I lacked in social grace and crudity, I made up for in imagination and smarts (I like to think), so maybe you're right, maybe some people just had boring lives and were jealous? I dunno, I kinda laugh at the fact that someone may be jealous of me 🤣. All I know is at almost 40, save for maybe most of being 15 and a couple months of my 26th year on this planet, I had a pretty decent go at life so far, and I hope my kid will have the same.

Reply 3268 of 5847, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The night before yesterday i played Blackthorne on my Mac and my PC. After the first three levels i started on both machines Heart of China. Yesterday night i continued playing Heart of China. Mac versions has better fonts. PC version has better music with the Roland MT32.

- Macintosh LC475, Powerbook 540c, Macintosh Performa 6116CD, Power Macintosh G3 Minitower (x2), Imac G3, Powermac G4 MDD, Powermac G5, Imac Mid 2007
- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF
- Roland MT32, CM64, CM500, SC55, SC88, Yamaha MU50

Reply 3269 of 5847, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I thought I'd give Wing Commander 2 another earnest try. I started playing the windows version from The Kilrathi Saga, and it ran once just fine. Then I could never get it to run again without crashing. Go figure. I guess the save data got corrupted. I tried deleting it and starting again, but that didn't work. So then I started over, copying the DOS version from GOG over to my K6-2+ machine. And I got back to where I'd been before.

However that sort of stalled my enthusiasm enough that Prey stole my attention. So now I'm playing that on my Athlon 64 machine instead. I actually still have my old special edition DVD version from back in the day. Has some pewter figures included. I remember I was so excited for it, but then bounced off it a few levels in. I can't exactly remember why. I think the death mechanic rubbed me the wrong way. Whatever the reason, I've gotten much further this time around, and see myself beating it. Over halfway through, and am enjoying it greatly.

Reply 3270 of 5847, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Prey is excellent. I still own the XBOX 360 version of it. I remember having enjoyed it a lot, and playing it to finish.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3271 of 5847, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Started playing through the 2019 SMS game Voyage - A Sorceress' Vacation (free to download, there is also a purchase-able physical release).

Many will be familiar with it already - a fanmade "total conversion" based upon Alex Kidd in Miracle World. It's pretty cool. Nice graphics, music, level design - very impressive and a fun return to simpler times.

Full info / original release thread

Reply 3272 of 5847, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finished tombraider 1 on my p2@400 MHz with a voodoo2. I loved the first levels, they are very nostalgic. The middle of the game, felt long and was quite repetitive. The later part was better than I remembered it, action filled but also very dark. Those pulsating walls, skinless monsters and the eerie soundtrack made a bigger impression on me as an adult. The part where you killed your own copy is somewhat upsetting as well..

Reply 3273 of 5847, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, the wife passed out early last night, so instead of watching Twin Peaks: The Return, I finished up Prey.

Trophy
20210904_Prey_a.jpg
Filename
20210904_Prey_a.jpg
File size
1.13 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

All in all, I really enjoyed it. I especially loved the Art Bell radio segments you can find. They do a fantastic job anchoring the game in a specific time and place. Towards the end I found myself really struggling with ammo shortages and dying a lot. I also think it's respawn system really impinged my ability to "figure out" it's encounter design. I was never forced to get good at dispatching certain foes, and even when I tried to, the ammo at my disposal or the encounter design never quite felt conducive to puzzling out strats. It's level transitions got extremely samey towards the end too.

That all said, I loved it's level design and puzzles. It had some really impactful boss fights too. I'm bummed it never got a proper sequel. Reading about the one they had planned, I'd have loved to see it. Ah well.

Reply 3274 of 5847, by vmr_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

on K6-2+ 550 (oc) with voodoo 3 2000 AGP - finished Dune (1992) few weeks ago, great craic. Also did Blade Runner (1997).

Think System Shock 2 is next 😀

Retro builds & sandbox
IBM XT 5160 | 286 | 386 | 486 | S4 SI5PI AIO & S4 Batman + P60 SX828
S8 & PPro 200 | SS7 FW 5VGF & Asus P5A & AOpen AX59PRO K6-III+ 550MHz
Asus K7M Athlon 1Ghz GDF | Abit SH6 Pentium III 1GHz SL4KL...

Reply 3276 of 5847, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Installed Quake on a 233 MMX and then set up VQuake for a Rendition card. Got to see 3D acceleration on that card for the first time.
I like it, but I'm disappointed by the very uneven framerates. It gets choppy when you're shooting evil, and gets *really* slow when you're underwater (half framerate).
I found some usenet posts that seem to acknowledge the unevenness and basically claim it's "normal".
I need to try out the Rendition utility that tests whether DMA is working.

The whole point of this build is to revisit ~1996-97, but with a better system than I had back then.
So I'll probably start a Quake playthrough on this setup. I haven't put time into this game since the 90s and I think I only got through the first episode.

Funny thing is I had a Virge back then and was disappointed nothing utilized it. For some reason I never figured out that a Virge patch for Quake existed. I've still never seen it, maybe it's not worth seeing.

Reply 3278 of 5847, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Einherje wrote on 2021-09-06, 11:32:
Dungeon Keeper on a Pentium 166 MMX from DOS 6.22: […]
Show full quote

Dungeon Keeper on a Pentium 166 MMX from DOS 6.22:

p133mmx_006.jpg

OMG I remember this box art from the computer store I used to work at in the 90s. This game any good?

Reply 3279 of 5847, by Einherje

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jed118 wrote on 2021-09-06, 12:30:

OMG I remember this box art from the computer store I used to work at in the 90s. This game any good?

If you haven’t tried Dungeon Keeper or its sequel, you’re in for a treat. You manage a dungeon as an evil overlord and lure nosy heroes to their doom. Good times 😀