Topic actions

Reply 120 of 5979, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Guess. 😉

1900053_10203544709804849_616320680_n.jpg

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 121 of 5979, by Tiremaster400

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

^^^Knights of the Sky?^^^^

I used to watch my friends father play flight sims on a 386 back in 1991, they looked really hard.
I totally missed out on flight sims growing up, I feel like I missed out. DOOM ruined me. I finished Icarus.wad for DOOM 2 and started a playing through Final DOOM Evilution. It seems way easier than when I first beat Final DOOM two years ago. I am giving up sleep literally tonight to play games, I gotta be at work in 4 hours....

Reply 122 of 5979, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiremaster400 wrote:

^^^Knights of the Sky?^^^^

I used to watch my friends father play flight sims on a 386 back in 1991, they looked really hard.

Not really. Choose '3' difficulty level and everything's ok. And unlike most Microprose games, choosing medium difficulty level doesn't apparently give you score penalty compared to high difficulty level. In fact, there's not score at all; your score is purely the number of enemies you shot down.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 125 of 5979, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finished the main campaign in Wing Commander. I'm sure everyone knows this game but it's still awesome 😀

Each mission only lasts 5-10 minutes so it's a great pick-up-and-play game. The cartoon style graphics have a distinct style and perhaps haven't aged as badly as some of the early 3D stuff. As everyone knows, this game has a great MT-32 soundtrack. It's also fairly easy so you won't be replaying the missions too much, with the exception of one. You'll want a joystick for this, although I think I played it with a mouse back in the day and it was fine.

I also have the Secret Missions disk, but unfortunately it's unreadable from sitting in the garage for 10 years... would anybody be willing to send me a disk image? I'd like to transfer the label across to a good disk 😀

j3KMNI9l.jpg?1
38FFWYWl.jpg
ugRyejTl.jpg
z0kAZ64l.jpg
ONwTK5xl.jpg

Reply 126 of 5979, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just finished Turrican on my Amiga 500. I lost track of the number of times I recognized a sprite that Duke Nukem 1 and 2 stole from this game... 🤣

It's an excellent platformer, although world 4 kind of sucks (drab graphics and no music). Now onto Turrican 2 😀

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 127 of 5979, by Tiremaster400

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an MT-32 and a CH Flight Stick Pro. Which computer do you recommend for Wing Commander, a 386 or slow 486? I have several old machines to choose from.

Reply 128 of 5979, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiremaster400 wrote:

I have an MT-32 and a CH Flight Stick Pro. Which computer do you recommend for Wing Commander, a 386 or slow 486? I have several old machines to choose from.

A 386 DX-33 is in the sweet spot according to Mau1wurlf1977s videos.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 130 of 5979, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiremaster400 wrote:

A 386DX is the way to go. I found 33 MHz perfect, 40 too fast and 25 a little bit too slow, although slow = easier in this game.

So either a 25 or 33 MHz 386 should do the trick 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 131 of 5979, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been attempting to finish off Farcry 3, which I've been playing on-and-off since its release. I like tropical open worlds so it's a game I've had a lot of fun with. It's a fun sandbox with heaps to do and some really simple, fun gameplay to be had. Unfortunately though the main storyline is just awful, with some really embarrassing dialog and voice acting to boot. The plot seems to be aimed at redbull-chugging, thumb-ring-wearing 17 year old boys, and towards the end the devs starting throwing all sorts of rubbish in the players path to slow them down and drag it out. Mandatory stealth missions, unfair "dream sequence" fights, etc. In the end I gave up because it was spoiling the fond memories I have of the rest of the game.

Now I'm playing Neuromancer on my recently repaired C64. The graphics are solid and setting is interesting, it's a pretty standard adventure game thus far but there's good attention to detail which is always appreciated. There's a lot of disk swapping required but with my 1541U II handling the disk duties, it's quick and painless. I freaking love that thing.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/neuromancer

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 132 of 5979, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I’ve been playing Risen 2 for the past couple of weeks and wow, I’m really loving on it. It’s an action RPG by Piranha Bytes who have been creating amazing open world RPG’s since releasing Gothic in 2001. I loved the Gothic series too, excluding of course Gothic 4 which was produced by another developer after Piranha Bytes split with their publisher and lost the rights. With no rights to Gothic Piranha Bytes dreamt up ‘Risen’, which was pretty much just Gothic in a different world. The first Risen was a great game despite a weak ending.

Risen 2 has been on my to-do list since it was released 2 years ago, but I’ve been on a mostly retro games kick since then. I gotta say that going from the world of pixilation and 8 bit sound to a modern game is making the experience all the more enjoyable. Risen 2 – which is set in an open-ish world (islands) looks and sounds stunning. It’s a tropical, quasi Caribbean pirate themed storyline with voodoo, fantasy monsters, tomb raider-esque temples to explore, and of course plenty of ridiculous pirate characters and cheesy dialogue. It’s very hard to describe really, and although it didn’t get great reviews I think it’s a brilliant mix of setting, real time combat (which gets a lot more interesting as you progress), and a solid, unique RPG mechanic. Something important which I think the reviews missed is the wonky humour that Piranha Bytes inject into their games. Risen 2 has me laughing out loud every time I play, and as much as I love the TES series, bringing a smile to my dial is not one of its achievements.

So if you’re looking for an interesting take on the RPG genre in a handcrafted world, I’d strongly recommend giving one of Piranha Bytes’ efforts a go. There’s a demo for Gothic II here – this is what got me hooked.

risen_2_2.jpg

Risen-2-4.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 134 of 5979, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just finished building my new rig after several delays involving a faulty motherboard, and I have been playing games I could never play on my old laptop due to ridiculously outdated hardware. Finally can enjoy Crysis on max settings, can actually play the PC port of Saints Row 2 without issue, and I have been having a go at emulation with CarnEvil, the Dreamcast version of Crazy Taxi (NullDC runs like a dream on this computer), and Goldeneye utilizing the 60 FPS hack.

Reply 136 of 5979, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Still playing Gunmetal, even though I've beaten this like three times now.

Trying to find the second secret level too, but most the secrets in this game are really obscure and some you can't reach without cheating.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 138 of 5979, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GOG.com release of Splinter Cell on a Pentium 4, XP SP2, FX 5950 Ultra

ftowYRF.png

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel