VOGONS

Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 162 of 5979, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Star Wars: Republic Commando (Original Xbox)

DOS Gaming System: MS-DOS, AMD K6-III+ 400/ATZ@600Mhz, ASUS P5A v1.04 Motherboard, 32 MB RAM, 17" CRT monitor, Diamond Stealth 64 3000 4mb PCI, SB16 [CT1770], Roland MT-32 & Roland SC-55, 40GB Hard Drive, 3.5" Floppy Drive.

Reply 163 of 5979, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yesterday I spent an hour playing Star Trek 25th Anniversary on CD-ROM. It's quite enjoyable once you get used to the controls. We'll see, if it keeps me interested enough to compete it.

As for modern games: Planetside 2, Hearthstone and Hungry Shark Evolution 😉

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 164 of 5979, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

atm only Dark Souls 2 on pc... sadly not a masterpiece like the 1st game but still a good one 😉

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 165 of 5979, by RadioPoultry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just started New Horizons by Koei for DOS. I found it a challenge just getting the image off the CD and getting the game to run in DOSBox without crashing randomly, but it's working fine now. 😀 I'm also about halfway through Captain Comic 2.

Reply 166 of 5979, by Tiremaster400

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Still playing alot of DOOM II, ZDOOM to be specific. I'm playing on a nice little Gateway Celeron 700mhz Win98 machine. I'm going through Mega Wads I've never played before. I've beaten: TNT Evilution and Plutonia again to warm up, Reverie.wad, Hell Revealed.wad (very hard), DOOM II the way Id did.wad, Back to Saturn X.wad and currently in middle of DOOM II Reloaded.wad. It's interesting to see the framerate drop on some of the larger levels on this computer, but I get mostly 75 fps on ZDOOM.

Reply 168 of 5979, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Half-Saint wrote:

Can't find my Gabriel Knight Sins of the Fathers CD anywhere! I installed in a couple of months ago and now it's nowhere to be found 🙁

If you need one urgently, the GOG.com release is based on the disc image. Just rename the ISO and burn it 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 169 of 5979, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you sure? The system requirements are funny:
Minimum system requirements: Windows XP or Windows Vista, 1 GHz Processor (1.4 GHz recommended), 256MB RAM (512 recommended), 3D graphics card compatible with DirectX 7 (compatible with DirectX 9 recommended), Mouse, Keyboard.

The original game runs on a bloody 386 and that's what I need it for!

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 170 of 5979, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Half-Saint wrote:

Are you sure? The system requirements are funny:
Minimum system requirements: Windows XP or Windows Vista, 1 GHz Processor (1.4 GHz recommended), 256MB RAM (512 recommended), 3D graphics card compatible with DirectX 7 (compatible with DirectX 9 recommended), Mouse, Keyboard.

The original game runs on a bloody 386 and that's what I need it for!

Those are just the safe zone requirements for running it in DOSBox and the like since it requires a decent amount of power to run without lag.

Reply 171 of 5979, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I spent some time recently playing Super Mario Bros on an NES and I still love that game, but as I sat there, jumping Mario through his brightly coloured 8-bit world over and over and over again, I began to hear voices echoing out of the deep recesses of my cerebral cortex: “stop playing that thing”, “go outside and do something useful would you?”. They were voices from my childhood, both my parents and the parents of my friends, and they’re still ruining my fun all these years later.

So I’ve packed the NES away and moved onto a game with which have no negative associative memories (because I’ve never played it before) - Magic Carpet. Despite this game being featured on ‘Neighbours’ – a local TV show that my family watched religiously in the 90’s - I’d never even heard of this game until recently. If a game didn’t show up on my high school floppy-swappy-network then I simply didn’t know it existed. And yes there was a floppy version of this game, which was released in ’94 when CD-ROM drives were still very rare in my part of the world.

As detailed in another thread I had trouble getting this game to run reliably on my P166MMX, it looks like my original CD version has speed issues. The solution was to burn the ISO from GOG’s ‘plus’ version, which gives you a stable version of the original game and the expansion. In VGA mode the game still runs fast and is almost unplayable, unless you like your games crazy action packed. But in SVGA mode (press ‘R’) and with the clouds turned off (press F6), then the speed is perfect and the frame rate is stable – this might change of course in the later levels.

For sound I’m using a Sound Blaster 16 + Roland SCC1 combination and it sounds very nice.

By default the game is controlled via keyboard + mouse but it also supports a gamepad or joystick. I tried a Gravis Game Pad, and Sidewinder 3D Pro, a CH Flightstick Pro, and eventually settled on a CH Flightstick (non pro) + keyboard. Note: if you want to use a 4 button joystick then you need to select the gamepad option to avoid the game bugging out.

It’s a unique game and a lot of fun once you understand the interesting but unintuitive premise / gameplay – this game went head-to-head with DOOM and it’s easy to understand why it lost. Not because it’s a bad game, because it would have been mind-blowing at the time, but because a) DOOM’s controls and premise are so much simpler, and b) the requirements were higher than DOOM’s – Magic Carpet’s sweet spot falls into that uncomfortable grey area between the 486DX2 66 and the early Pentiums. That was a confusing time for the average computer consumer and a lot of people sensibly waited it out until Pentium technology became cheaper, and by that time Magic Carpet had missed its brief window of opportunity.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 172 of 5979, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just finished Tomb Raider 2014, Farcry 3, and Starcraft II : heart of the swarm. All three I highly recommend. Started a character now in Dark Souls II

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 173 of 5979, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Guess.

10366151_10204022932560119_5415636857462727492_n.jpg

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 174 of 5979, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I started and abandoned Dead Space.
It scared the pants off me to be honest.
I'm not squeamish per se, but not having a BFG to blast those critters to kingdom come at first sight, did it for me.

http://www.compufixshop.com
Main rig Ryzen 2600X Strix RX580 32GB RAM
Secondary rig FX8350 GTX960 16GB RAM

Reply 176 of 5979, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tincup wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Guess.

Jane's 688(I)...

That's correct. 😀

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 177 of 5979, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tex Murphy Tesla Effect. Entertaining. Just like their old games. I like the casual mode because I am a lazy adventurer.

Played a bunch of Sin Wages of Sin but got burned out on that.

I've also been working on Homeworld 2 on and off. I get addicted to these sorts of strategy games, but I really don't like how the campaign works. Cheaty AI, very rock paper scissors, and puzzly.

Reply 178 of 5979, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Railroad Tycoon II on my Windows 98 machine.

Just got a copy of The Ancient Art of War at Sea running on my DOS box.

Also loaded up a copy of Task Force 1942.

Been meaning to get my copy of Monkey Island loaded but haven't gotten to it just yet... soon. I seem to be loading up games and readying them for use more than I have been actually playing though. Maybe that is where I get most of my fun from? Dunno, but it IS fun! All of my games are retail versions running on actual hardware of the period.

-- Regards, Joe

Expect out of life, that which you put into it.