What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 1962 of 5991, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-06-06, 00:30:

What was the DOS game where the Apes would throw bananas ?

Qbasic Gorillas.

gorillas.jpg
Filename
gorillas.jpg
File size
23.94 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1963 of 5991, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote on 2020-06-06, 02:06:
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-06-06, 00:30:

What was the DOS game where the Apes would throw bananas ?

Qbasic Gorillas.

gorillas.jpg

That’s it. Fun....

Reply 1964 of 5991, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quest for Glory II

I played QfG1 (EGA) to completion for the first time last year and really enjoyed it. I'm not much of a point-and-click adventure fan, but I found the mixture of light RPG elements, non-linearity, and common-sense approach to most of the puzzles in QfG to be quite refreshing (though I suppose a hardcore PnC fan would find the puzzles to be far too simple). In fact, I hold QfG1 up as my personal gold standard for single-player RPGs.

Today I decided to take a break from the hardcore mapping and note-taking of Might & Magic II, and play something a bit more "structured." QfG2 fits the bill, and so I spent a couple hours today exploring the city and getting myself established. I spent the first three in-game days just exploring the city and gathering information, and I've got some good leads on what to do next.

I also want to add that this game looks and sounds fantastic. Some of the best EGA art I've ever seen, and the MT-32 music sounds wonderful; I always get a kick out of hearing such high quality music playing with comparatively primitive graphics!

Reply 1965 of 5991, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is only the 2nd weekend I've had off since March (been working 60 hrs a week, 6-7 days a week), so I savored the 2.5 hours I got to spend in Wizardry 8 this morning. I finally finished Trynton and am heading back to Arnika for a quick detour to sell off all my loot before I head to the next new area (the swamp). I dismissed Myles and had Madras the Trynnie Gadgeteer join our group. I've been finding various gadgets throughout the game and holding onto them, as my base party has no gadgeteers. Now I get to experiment with them. 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1968 of 5991, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Far Cry (2004) -- Realistic Difficulty Mode is BRUTAL -- mainly because there are only autosaves.... or so I thought. Only on level 16/20 did I discover the manual save possibility via console command -- I don't feel like it's cheating. I'm 33 but I'm starting to feel like I will not be able to play games on their hardest difficulties as I get older. Of course, I mean for games that have real 'hard' modes and aren't just theme park rides to begin with.

Reply 1970 of 5991, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
infiniteclouds wrote on 2020-06-16, 01:01:

Far Cry (2004) -- Realistic Difficulty Mode is BRUTAL -- mainly because there are only autosaves.... or so I thought. Only on level 16/20 did I discover the manual save possibility via console command -- I don't feel like it's cheating. I'm 33 but I'm starting to feel like I will not be able to play games on their hardest difficulties as I get older. Of course, I mean for games that have real 'hard' modes and aren't just theme park rides to begin with.

So am I. Got past that nasty helicopter fight the other day. It is tough but sooo good.

Reply 1972 of 5991, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, Terraria 1.4 came out a while ago and I've been sinking a lot of time into that for the new "Master mode" and also the "Secret World Seed Numbers".

I made a "extremely difficult" world and turned the spawn point into a graveyard.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1973 of 5991, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thought I would share this spreadsheet which I use to track what games I am playing now, which ones I have left to play, and the acquisition status. Also against a timeline of when various tech was released to help determine the best setup for a given game.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Vi0YV … dit?usp=sharing

Reply 1974 of 5991, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kolderman wrote on 2020-06-17, 00:47:

Thought I would share this spreadsheet which I use to track what games I am playing now, which ones I have left to play, and the acquisition status. Also against a timeline of when various tech was released to help determine the best setup for a given game.

Very nice! I too use a spreadsheet, but it's not very cleaned up as yours is. The main tab shows my "to play list" sorted by genre and generation. I almost exclusively play either RPGs or FPSs, so each genre is sorted by three generations: DOS, Win9x, and modern. I periodically go through each of the 6 sections and rank the order I want to play them. Then I try to equally jump between the generations, so I'm not playing two modern games in a row, for example. The other tabs are for individual games I've played or am playing, along with a log that shows how many minutes I played on each day. When I complete a game, I have a pretty accurate tally of how many hours and minutes it took me. I could also see how many hours per week I play, how many total days it took, average minutes per day, and optionally, how long each level takes to complete (many games aren't broken up so discretely, so I skip that on them).

Reply 1975 of 5991, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Football Manager 2020

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 1976 of 5991, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't been much in the mood to play anything requiring much thought/planning/note-taking (i.e. RPGs) due to a bunch of annoying business-related stuff I have to deal with all at once, so I've been winding down with some action games:

Dark Forces
The looooooooow mouse sensitivity in this game makes mouse turning nearly impossible (I played it back in the day keyboard only, and I assume that's true for most people), but I missed the precision of turning with the mouse. Luckily, there is a tool called DarkForces DeHacker that can be used in DOS to resolve this. Much better!

I've attempted to get through this game many times, but the level design kills me. I have read that they had actual architects or something on the team to design more realistic levels, but I think it hurts the game more than helps. I don't mind a good maze, but I guess the difference for me is that games like Doom and Duke 3d/Blood (even Shadow Warrior but less so...) have a "flow" that guides you through each level, even if it sacrifices "realism" or believability. When I explore a level in Dark Forces, I feel like I'm walking through an office building or factory with all the signs taken down.

It's too bad, because I enjoy everything else about Dark Forces. The dynamic soundtrack is amazing (especially on Sound Canvas), it's got a really sharp and colorful look compared with Doom, and combat feels very unique compared with other FPS games. I also like how each stage really feels like a mission, complete with mission objectives different from the typical "get to the end and hit the button" you get with Doom, Build engine shooters, etc.

Reply 1977 of 5991, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Speaking of dark force, I just saw a trailer for Star Wars - Squadrons. Anyone?

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 1978 of 5991, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolderman wrote on 2020-06-17, 00:47:

I have a backlog of over 300+ games, half of which are retrogaming and half of which are from the last decade. I don't think I would kno whow to fill this document. Moreover, it would be depressing as hell as I would likely have to live 200 years to finish them all 🙁

Bruninho wrote on 2020-06-17, 05:08:

Speaking of dark force, I just saw a trailer for Star Wars - Squadrons. Anyone?

I'm quite certain it will be an arcade shooter thing like Battlefield/Battlefront and have a shitton of pay to win / lootbox, so count me out.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1979 of 5991, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2020-06-17, 05:38:

I have a backlog of over 300+ games, half of which are retrogaming and half of which are from the last decade. I don't think I would kno whow to fill this document. Moreover, it would be depressing as hell as I would likely have to live 200 years to finish them all 🙁

Or, you can can be happy knowing that you'll always have a good game to play. I'd rather have a backlog of games that I can't finish then be through them all with nothing left to play.