Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 2700 of 5979, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-01-30, 15:26:

I introduced my 6 year old son to Sim Tower last night and he loves the game. He woke us up around 3 am cause he turned his computer on and started playing and forgot to lower the volume on his speakers.

that's just adorable 🤣

Reply 2702 of 5979, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-01-30, 15:26:

I introduced my 6 year old son to Sim Tower last night and he loves the game. He woke us up around 3 am cause he turned his computer on and started playing and forgot to lower the volume on his speakers.

I can't wait until my daughter is 6.. She is 4 now and really interested in games but her attention span and motor skills don't cut it yet. 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2703 of 5979, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's a blast to play my old games with him. Our 18 month old son loves to watch us playing. His favorite game is KSP I build little things that basically explode and he cracks up. That game he can play with me cause he knows the spacebar causes the rockets to launch and his rockets to crash and explode.

Trust me when she's old enough to play with you it's an absolute joy and hours of fun. My wife is a gamer as well and we just have tons of fun with the boys. I built my son's Socket A system when he was almost 4 and he really enjoyed helping me build it.

Reply 2704 of 5979, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-02-01, 15:27:

It's a blast to play my old games with him. Our 18 month old son loves to watch us playing.

I knew how it feels, we love to watch our 18 month old daughter playing old games. 😁

what-game-are-you-playing-02-tria-MS-sidewinder-FF-wheel.jpg
Well she can keep the car on the road most of the time.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2705 of 5979, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If that isn't a beautiful picture of a fun family moment I don't know what is. I got my old Compaq presarrio 4402 back from my in-laws basement and I'd really like to get it fixed up as a dos/wfw 3.11 system for some of the games that don't run fantastic on the socket A XP pro system and have them both setup in my son's room.

Reply 2706 of 5979, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Beautiful picture of a retro gaming family moment!! Congratulations!

I'm still single, so no kids at the moment. Maybe one day I can have one of these moments, when the pandemic hopefully goes away. One of my friends have two kids, and asked me for help, so I helped him to set up an retro nintendo gaming system for him and his kids. They love it. Even his wife is playing it - Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart. The other day he was showing them the Cobra Kai episodes on Netflix, and then the Karate Kid trilogy. I simply love the idea of showing to our kids how good our childhood times were. My dad (and my grandpa as well) did the same with me when I was a kid. I remember writing with his orientation at times, a Quick Basic program when I was about 8 yrs old, a small funny program that simulated a "cash machine". It just didn't had the money... HA!

But I've been revisiting old games with my dad so it's kinda the same thing but the other way around. One day he wanted to do an Apple IIe replica with his raspberry pi 3, it was just a thought for him, but I do want to work with him on this project, so I might have some talk to convince him... he had started his professional career in one of these Apple IIe replicas that were available in Brazil back in the late 70's/ early 80's.

Please keep rolling on more of these great moments with your kids! For sure, it's awesome to see some retro stuff love being kept alive and "transferred" to your kids, and there is no better thing than enjoying the time with your family, in a moment like this, while the world is locked down due a terrible virus.

@Kreshna: I had the same Microsoft Sidewinder steering wheel for a while, came with Microsoft CART Precision Racing game. One day it broke on me so I bought a Logitech MOMO. The best steering wheel I ever had in my simracing competitions. Much better than the so called Logitech G2x's, in terms of ergonomics.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 2707 of 5979, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm doing my annual Zelda series run-through, this time I will probably include some of the portable games. But, more importantly, I managed to legitimately beat my physical copy of Zelda 2. I can recommend not playing it this way, but hey, I've done it, so I can now always say I did.

image0.jpg
Filename
image0.jpg
File size
854.94 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 2708 of 5979, by domomex89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
foil_fresh wrote on 2021-01-31, 13:04:

I hope you enjoy Monkey Island.

Sorry to tell you this but I didn't really enjoy it.
It's basically an average game. The characters were okay and the plot of saving the Governor was interesting but I really didn't like how the game relied on jokes and puzzles to move the story.
The story wasn't thrilling enough to satisfy me. Maybe my expectations were too high, but the game was boring and not very funny.
I didn't really have much fun with it as Loom, which really amazed me.

I actually want to cry because I feel I'm going to make die-hard Monkey Island fans mad from saying my honest feelings about Monkey Island.

Srry for bad English

EDIT: At least the game wasn't boring like Day of the Tentacle. I think I'm going to rip the Monkey Island fandom with this post.

Reply 2710 of 5979, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While it's charms are plain to see, especially in context-of-ye-olde-times, I don't rank the original Monkey Island very highly within the SCUMM list.

The sequel, on the other hand... (is the one I personally grew up with 🤣)

The soundtrack alone, pure magic.

Reply 2711 of 5979, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
domomex89 wrote on 2021-02-04, 10:58:
Sorry to tell you this but I didn't really enjoy it. It's basically an average game. The characters were okay and the plot of s […]
Show full quote

It's basically an average game. The characters were okay and the plot of saving the Governor was interesting but I really didn't like how the game relied on jokes and puzzles to move the story.
The story wasn't thrilling enough to satisfy me. Maybe my expectations were too high, but the game was boring and not very funny.

I actually want to cry because I feel I'm going to make die-hard Monkey Island fans mad from saying my honest feelings about Monkey Island.

Srry for bad English

EDIT: At least the game wasn't boring like Day of the Tentacle. I think I'm going to rip the Monkey Island fandom with this post.

😳

oh well, at least you tried it!

Reply 2712 of 5979, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey you tried the game and didn't like it no big deal. There are plenty of other games to play out there not everyone will like every game they try.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-02-05, 05:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2713 of 5979, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sorry to tell you this but I didn't really enjoy it. It's basically an average game. The characters were okay and the plot of s […]
Show full quote

Srry for bad English

Don't feel bad. Didn't care for most of the point and clicks of the day and I grew up with them. Different strokes for different folks. I was more of a text adventure person myself in the 1980s. "Tass Times in Tonetown" on the Amiga, Transylvania on the C64 and a few point and clicks like King's Quest on the PCjr. I even thought Blade Runner in the late 90s was kind of weak sauce in story, but the atmosphere of the game kept me going. Don't even get me started on "Ripley's Believe It or Not!: The Riddle of Master Lu". Ha! I think we can all agree , though, as long as your machine can run Doom what else do you need?

Reply 2714 of 5979, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Show full quote

Srry for bad English

I'm not an adventure game fan in general. I own most of them, but only because I got them on steep sales on GOG. I never play them other than to enjoy the soundtracks. They're just not fun for me. Eric the Unready is the only adventure game I've ever played to completion since starting up retro gaming back in late 2015. And back in the day, I wasn't a fan either, other than Infocom text adventures in my Apple II days.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2716 of 5979, by domomex89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shreddoc wrote on 2021-02-04, 12:31:

While it's charms are plain to see, especially in context-of-ye-olde-times, I don't rank the original Monkey Island very highly within the SCUMM list.

The sequel, on the other hand... (is the one I personally grew up with 🤣)

The soundtrack alone, pure magic.

OMG so true
I personally like the soundtrack of SoMI. It reminds me of the soundtrack of Super Tetris and Tetris Classic.

Reply 2717 of 5979, by domomex89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you know what character from Monkey Island that I rlly hate? That one guy who runs Stan's Previously Owned Vessels.
He's so obnoxious to the point I rlly want to destroy a ship (lol)

Reply 2718 of 5979, by domomex89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another LucasArts adventure I didn't rlly enjoy like Monkey Island might be Day of the Tentacle.
I've heard its a very good game, but to me it felt like an average 90s point and click adventure with some nice technology in it.

Other LucasArts adventures I didn't enjoy is Sam & Max Hit the Road and most of the 80s LucasArts adventures (expect for Maniac Mansion, which feels the most finished out of them all).
I really liked the graphics of Sam & Max Hit the Road though. The colors and artstyle was nice.

Reply 2719 of 5979, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
domomex89 wrote on 2021-02-05, 01:33:
Another LucasArts adventure I didn't rlly enjoy like Monkey Island might be Day of the Tentacle. I've heard its a very good gam […]
Show full quote

Another LucasArts adventure I didn't rlly enjoy like Monkey Island might be Day of the Tentacle.
I've heard its a very good game, but to me it felt like an average 90s point and click adventure with some nice technology in it.

Other LucasArts adventures I didn't enjoy is Sam & Max Hit the Road and most of the 80s LucasArts adventures (expect for Maniac Mansion, which feels the most finished out of them all).
I really liked the graphics of Sam & Max Hit the Road though. The colors and artstyle was nice.

The humour style in Lucasarts games might not please everybody, but their games are undeniably class-leading in many technical aspects, e.g. the graphics, animation, music, voice, sound effects... indeed, the general production itself. Those are hallmarks of the Lucasarts style.

It must be remembered, with games like DOTT and Sam&Max, that those jokes were funny in the early 1990's, for the target audience. Very funny. And crucially, edgy - boundary pushing.

In that era, the world was just seeing The Simpsons for the first time. The sitcom Friends didn't exist yet. Many people had never experienced stand-up comedy. No South Park, no Family Guy. That was all comedy-of-the-future, the world was literally too young to handle it. Young people interested in computers and computer games were a strange minority of outcasts (far, far more than today!). There was no internet. No cell phones. It was a hugely different world and culture.

Those games were funny in the same way that the Police Academy movies were insanely funny, and cool in the way that the Back To The Future and Terminator movies were the height of cool. As a teenager in the 90's.

--

This is the essence of retro. To truly understand the productions of an era, you had to be there at the time, living through it. Then gain several decades of memories on top - a varied landscape to peer longingly back across, in search of old friends from a simpler time of life.