VOGONS

Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 420 of 6007, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, this is pure DOS 6.22 with either a real MT32 (later rev, should have the sound effects, but doesn't have the front headphone port) or an SC55, off the SB16 on port 330. The AWE64 is configured as A220/I5/D1/H5/P300.

I have to admit I've been following the hardMPU thread with interest..

Reply 421 of 6007, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Real MT-32's later rev or not do not have the 33 extra sound effects. That is an exclusive feature of the Roland CM-32L, CM-64, CM-500, LAPC-I and the CM-32LN.

Reply 422 of 6007, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do any of those have a headphone jack in the front? I thought all the CM's have it in the back.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 423 of 6007, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The CM-32LN does have a mini jack phones output on the front. The other CM units only have it in the back. The CM-32LN is a 3rd generation LA module though so it "suffers" from a faster vibrato. Not a big issue IMO.

Reply 424 of 6007, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this out today:
20150920_150027.jpg

Complete with name scrawled on - necessary when you lent the disk to a friend! Didn't get very far without the manual though so I guess my original is worthless from a usability point of view. I saw this was free to download a couple of years ago when they released a mobile version so I'll try and find that.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 426 of 6007, by StSam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
1st_win.jpg
Filename
1st_win.jpg
File size
169.09 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Saw a screenshot of Rogue in another thread here on Vogons. That evoked an itch in me to play some good old Hack.

And, yes, I am talking Hack - the precursor, not NetHack - the successor, that came years later and expanded on it.

That was one of my first games. No flashy graphics, yet the gameplay was intriguing despite seeming simplicity.
I remember reading the Bestiary description file that came with it, along with the Rumors file (that contained both
helpful tips as well as dubious, almost misleading ones).

I've played Hack (and NetHack) on and off every few years over the past 25+ years learning most of the tricks there are to know.
However, I've never had enough patience, especially, NetHack (even with save scumming) to actually beat the game (Ascend).
While that game is amazing in its attention to details ("DevTeam thinks of everything"), sometimes, that added complexity gets
annoying. I'd enjoy initial item discovery and leveling up but then would get bored with the game about half-way thorough...

Hack (the original) is a bit simpler - fewer items, monsters and levels, so exploration feels faster. Core gameplay is the same.

A few years ago, a kind person named Donnie Russell released a windows port of the original PC Hack, called "Revived Hack".
This slightly touched up version makes "Hacking" a breeze on modern systems while staying true to the roots.

So, finally, after spending a few days of some YASDs (Yet Anonther Stupid Deaths), I've finally beat the game for the first time.
Hardcore, permadeath, no cheating (just the knowledge of the game I've acquired over the years, including some spoilers).

PS Sorry for the needless wall of text. Hopefully, someone who can relate, will have enjoyed reading it.
PPS Since Donnie Russell's website is no longer available, here is where I got the Revived Hack from:
http://coredumpcentral.org/roguelikes.html

Last edited by StSam on 2015-09-22, 08:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Memento e-Sinu filo!

Reply 427 of 6007, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Command & Conquer, Command & Conquer: Red Alert and Lords of the Realm 2

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 428 of 6007, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been screwing around in NFS6: Hot Pursuit 2 (2002~3) on my 'console cabinet PC'. While I have some beefs with the game (the 'police chase' mechanic is stupid, the engine sounds are weedy and thin, and most of the music not done by Rom di Prisco sucks), I gotta say the track design and visuals are stunning. Plus it runs buttery smooth on my old single-core P4 / Radeon 9200 (okay, I'm using 640x480 on a 24" SD TV for display, but still.) I turn off opponents and just cruse around in 'free run' mode for more of a chill sightseeing experience.

179.jpg
177.jpg
Honestly I can't think of a reason we needed better graphics technology than this. Considering it's 13 years old...

The other one I've spent some time with lately is UT2004 on my PowerMac dual-G5 2.3. Same comment about the graphics; it looks damn good & fully modern to me. But I don't really play current big-name 'A' titles so what do I know?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 430 of 6007, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:

Honestly I can't think of a reason we needed better graphics technology than this. Considering it's 13 years old...

Art direction and "bag of tricks" techniques help a lot, and limitations can be crazy fun to work within IMO (targeting 4mb cards myself). The engine's technically worse than what GTA3 used, but you wouldn't know that because of how well it visually ages thanks to the art! 😀

This kind of thing actually goes back to the first NFS for the 3do. those bridge shadows are awesome, and the sound design holds up well too.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 431 of 6007, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

Until you may distinguish real video and a game's graphics - there is where to go still. Today cartoonish computer games, unrealistic world's detailing and physics are far from this. More to say, there is no significant progress in games technology since Xbox360 times of 2005 year.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 432 of 6007, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Currently playing a couple of Breakout clones.

Tronic

gCy9h81.png tOLYBXL.png 61NLvRY.png

Mjiuw0X.png

Fun, yet a little clumsy with mouse control - keyboard is much better.

Youtube link to gameplay (over an hour long!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-3PuoKFCDU

DX-Ball 2

d0YMWrn.png

5izOPAC.png

VOsk5SL.png

6dZjEbJ.png

More refined than Tronic, but a bit underwhelming. Rival Ball, a reworked version, has more to offer in terms of gameplay and features.

Youtube link to DX-Ball 2 gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW8eVn6PA34

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 433 of 6007, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I’ve spent some time recently with an old favourite - California Games by Epyx. It was a very popular game back in the day and there were of course versions released for a stack of different platforms; the Sega Master System version being the one I played as a kid. More recently I’ve taken an interest in some of the other flavours of this game, specifically those for the C64, Atari 2600, and DOS. What follows is a superficial comparison of these 4 versions. Please note that I ‘borrowed’ all of these pics from the interwebs because I’m incapable to taking a decent photo of my CRT TV.

Commodore 64
This, along with the Apple II version, was the original release, hitting shelves in 1987. It’s a 2 disk game, but both are loaded during the initial load, so there’s no disk swapping required after that point; there are however still load screens between each event. The SID tunes are nice but not outstanding, and they often only play at the start of an event – not during – which is a shame. The C64’s 16-colour VIC-II is a wonderful thing and the game looks great, but it can’t compete with the SMS’s 32 colour output. The controls are pretty good – I use a joystick with my C64 – but can border on overly difficult in some events. For example, pulling off all the moves on half-pipe is no easy thing, and the BMX event is also somewhat wonky and not as fun as it could be.

c64_zpsydimiojp.jpg

Atari 2600
While the 2600 version is substantially different to the original due to the technical limitations of the system, it’s still surprisingly good. It was developed in 1988 by Epyx, who apparently knew how to make the 2600 sing by that late stage. The visuals are the best I’ve seen on the 2600 and there’s provision for 1 to 8 players (including the sponsorships). Epyx even managed to get a plausible rendition of “Louie Louie” out of the 2600’s limited sound capabilities. You’re forced to play through the events in order, and there’s no flying disk or skating, but the included events are very playable. Footbag is notable, and the 2600’s version of BMX is a slapstick downhill thrill-ride!

2600_zpsh2jy64wb.png

DOS
I’m playing this version on a 16Mhz 286 with 1MB RAM, but even so I need to de-turbo the machine down to 8Mhz and use ‘loadfix’ to get the game to run as intended. Points off for that. The EGA graphics are serviceable but not as pretty as the C64 or SMS versions, and the sound is limited to PC speaker. The controls are generally acceptable – I use a dogbone gravis game pad – but the BMX event is frustratingly hard to control. Halfpipe is fun, as is surfing. The timing of footbag is off and skating is way too easy. You can however stop and buy your roller skating chick an icecream so points gained for that! At the end of the day it’s a passible effort but no more.

DOS_zpsjssck8l2.jpg

Sega Master System
As I mentioned this is the version that I grew up with, but being as objective as possible I still think this is the pick of the bunch. It looks great, it sounds great, there are no load times, and it has the tightest controls of the lot. This is the version to have, in my humble opinion.

sega_zps5jo7gwkl.png

All told
I’d recommend either the SMS or C64 versions, but whatever version you choose, California Games is still a lot of fun - particularly with 2 or more players. The setting, language used, and the events themselves all talk directly to my inner child. BMXs, skateboards, eye wateringly bright leisure wear; it’s a game that managed to both capture the ‘je ne sais quoi’ of the 80’s, and stand the test of time with its solid gameplay.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 434 of 6007, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

mmmmm DX-Ball. My roommate and I were such DX-Ball 1 addicts in college it wasn't funny. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 435 of 6007, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh god, I also grew up with California Games on my SMS! That surfing, though.... little Alex had no idea of how to play that well xD But it was the disk throwing that aggravated me the most...

Reply 436 of 6007, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

I’ve spent some time recently with an old favourite - California Games by Epyx. It was a very popular game back in the day and there were of course versions released for a stack of different platforms; the Sega Master System version being the one I played as a kid. More recently I’ve taken an interest in some of the other flavours of this game, specifically those for the C64, Atari 2600, and DOS. What follows is a superficial comparison of these 4 versions.

Great game badmojo...I like the mini reviews you have done outlining the differences in each system with that particular game. I remember playing California games on my friend's Atari ST and on my NES as well. I can't remember which I preferred, but I do remember playing the NES one for days and enjoying it (except when I would trip up in the rollerskating event 😠 ). As far as I can recall, I believe that the Atari ST had some of the better graphics for this game.

Reply 437 of 6007, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Following on to my earlier post - got in some driving time yesterday. Still enjoying the older Need for Speed games. 😀

I started with NFS: Hot Pursuit. Turned off all the cops and opponents and spent some time exploring beautiful Seacrest County with the top down in a Porsche Boxter and the amazing Porsche 918 Spyder.

Then moved on to NFS: Hot Pursuit 2. Took the Vauxhall VX220 on a spin through the mediterranean coast and then bombed around (faux) Hawaii and the PNW in a Carrera GT. (I am a drop-top Porsche nut if you can't tell.)

Finally I fired up NFS 3: Hot Pursuit and blew through some gorgeous locals in the southwest, the Cascades, & an alternate Florida where hills exist in a Ferrari 355. All while grooving to the clean tech sound of my favourite musician of the series, Rom di Prisco. Unfortunately this game does not allow you to drop the top. Philistines.

...did you notice I posted those games in reverse chronological order? In what universe does this numbering scheme make sense??

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 439 of 6007, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JayCeeBee64 wrote:
Currently playing a couple of Breakout clones. […]
Show full quote

Currently playing a couple of Breakout clones.

Tronic

[ ... ]

Fun, yet a little clumsy with mouse control - keyboard is much better.

Youtube link to gameplay (over an hour long!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-3PuoKFCDU

DX-Ball 2

[ ... ]

More refined than Tronic, but a bit underwhelming. Rival Ball, a reworked version, has more to offer in terms of gameplay and features.

Youtube link to DX-Ball 2 gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW8eVn6PA34

Gotta love DX-Ball! Never tried Tronic but it looks cool, will ahve to check it out!

My personal favorite Arkanoid/Breakout game is Cyber Sphere. I got the Amiga version an emu/shovelware CD I picked up in Berlin (Amiga Classics Gold), and loved it. I later found out there's a solid DOS port with *really good* MOD -> OPL conversions of the music. Great soundtrack, wildly colorful graphics, responsive controls & a few nice innovations on the typical formula. Believe it's freeware these days.

cyber_009.png