What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 4620 of 5958, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cyberpunk 2077

I finally finished this one last night, bought it at release and apparently I got about 2 hours from the end of the official storyline before it sat unplayed for a long time. You can probably guess I don't have the greatest things to say about this. Most of the time I was confused as to what any of the abilities I could put points into did. I'm usually not like this, but things are named so strangely that I was never quite sure what the ability was affecting. When I was ignoring that and just playing I did enjoy a lot of the scenarios and some of it sticks with me very vividly, like the parade scene.
Still, I cant give this one a thumbs up. I always felt lost while playing this game, and the amount of interruptions the game interjects while you are doing things is obnoxious. You can't go 2 minutes without someone calling you on the phone asking you to do something. Too many side quests and they try too hard to get in your face constantly. I liked the graphics but I also do not like the setting. I didn't like to inhabit the world that was created for this game. Granted I'm sure that's what they were going for but there was no comfort or friendly place throughout the whole game, it was all mistrust, and negative future. So, despite making it through this game, and usually loving CD Project Red games, I have to give this one Thumbs Down.

Reply 4621 of 5958, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shagittarius wrote on 2022-12-28, 16:35:

Cyberpunk 2077

I finally finished this one last night, bought it at release and apparently I got about 2 hours from the end of the official storyline before it sat unplayed for a long time. You can probably guess I don't have the greatest things to say about this. Most of the time I was confused as to what any of the abilities I could put points into did. I'm usually not like this, but things are named so strangely that I was never quite sure what the ability was affecting. When I was ignoring that and just playing I did enjoy a lot of the scenarios and some of it sticks with me very vividly, like the parade scene.
Still, I cant give this one a thumbs up. I always felt lost while playing this game, and the amount of interruptions the game interjects while you are doing things is obnoxious. You can't go 2 minutes without someone calling you on the phone asking you to do something. Too many side quests and they try too hard to get in your face constantly. I liked the graphics but I also do not like the setting. I didn't like to inhabit the world that was created for this game. Granted I'm sure that's what they were going for but there was no comfort or friendly place throughout the whole game, it was all mistrust, and negative future. So, despite making it through this game, and usually loving CD Project Red games, I have to give this one Thumbs Down.

Ya know, I've owned the game since release and have yet to install it. After viewing some YT footage of gameplay it just looks like GTA with some cyberpunk genre jewelry hanging off of it. Am I wrong? I was desperately hoping for more of a Blade Runner atmosphere. It seems like it plays out more like a Mad Max movie instead. Again, this is just from me observing video footage. I was also very disappointed they didn't even include the very minimal standards of a cyberpunk city. Mass transit and flying vehicles. Both have since been rectified with excellent mods, but is that where we're at now? Devs make a base game and leave it to the modders to finish off the product? From what I understand the mass transit tracks were already in the city, but never fleshed out/accessible until the modders came to the rescue. I really should just shut my trap since I haven't played it yet. I really do hope someone does make an open world Blade Runner game eventually. I remember when I first watched the first movie (disliked the second, tried too hard) and I just wanted to live in that world. That's when you know the artists involved have created something special. I don't feel that when viewing gameplay footage of 2077.

Reply 4622 of 5958, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gears 5

Just finished this one this morning. It's what you would expect with a small open world hub in a couple different areas. I guess this is what the kids are calling a "boomer shooter" which makes no sense cause I'm Gen X and can tell you I never knew any boomers that played video games, especially FPS games. So maybe its a Gen-X shooter with a bolted on hub world. In any case, the shooting is good and they try to bring a new element to each scenario so I say Thumbs Up.

Steam recap, this isnt very accurate because I have games that aren't on steam, so the classic percentage is probably quite a bit higher than indicated here. But its still fun to see:

SteamYIR.jpg
Filename
SteamYIR.jpg
File size
243.22 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I tend not to buy games at full price unless they are physical copies and DRM free....Its interesting to note that the steam average for playing newly released games is only at 17%. Interesting. Take a hint game companies, go back to physical releases.

Last edited by Shagittarius on 2022-12-28, 18:47. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 4623 of 5958, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For whatever reason, I always interpreted boomer shooter only loosely as references a generation, besides "old", and more having to do with the games emphasis on very punchy weapons that go "boom", and hallways littered in the gibs of your enemies. I've been playing Prodeus lately, and it certainly fits the bill. I get lost sometimes, the rooms are so unrecognizable, splatted with various goo's after a particularly crowded firefight.

I kind of love it.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 4624 of 5958, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote on 2022-12-28, 17:16:

Ya know, I've owned the game since release and have yet to install it. After viewing some YT footage of gameplay it just looks like GTA with some cyberpunk genre jewelry hanging off of it. Am I wrong? I was desperately hoping for more of a Blade Runner atmosphere. It seems like it plays out more like a Mad Max movie instead. Again, this is just from me observing video footage. I was also very disappointed they didn't even include the very minimal standards of a cyberpunk city. Mass transit and flying vehicles. Both have since been rectified with excellent mods, but is that where we're at now? Devs make a base game and leave it to the modders to finish off the product? From what I understand the mass transit tracks were already in the city, but never fleshed out/accessible until the modders came to the rescue. I really should just shut my trap since I haven't played it yet. I really do hope someone does make an open world Blade Runner game eventually. I remember when I first watched the first movie (disliked the second, tried too hard) and I just wanted to live in that world. That's when you know the artists involved have created something special. I don't feel that when viewing gameplay footage of 2077.

I played through the entire game when it first came out and haven't touched it since, so things have probably changed, but: you're not far off regarding gameplay, the problem is that wreaking havoc in GTA is much more fun, in Cyberpunk as soon as you stray off the "intended path" all you get is AI breaking down in unintentionally funny ways. For example, at launch, a car that was positioned slightly incorrectly could create huge traffic jams due to the inability of the AI controlled cars to move a few centimeters in order to find an alternate path. Basically, interrupting the predetermined actions of NPCs or vehicles had a very high chance of messing up everything around them.

Also, I found the gameplay terribly unbalanced. I played a netrunner build, which is some sort of hacker, and even on the hardest difficulty nothing was ever a threat. The final boss melted before I could even see most of his attacks. And the (incredibly short) main campaign to me had the feeling that everything was 100% on rails, it was like watching a movie where I had to interact just to kill things or talk to people without even the slightest illusion that my choices mattered in any way.

Regarding the atmosphere, the Badlands (outskirts of the city) had a discount Mad Max feel, yes. The city itself was closer to Blade Runner, but not close enough... I'm not sure how to describe it, but Blade Runner seemed more contemplative, like something out of a strange dream, but in CP2077 it's more like our world with more advanced technology. Also the music makes a difference, the Vangelis score was a big part of the timeless BR atmosphere, while Cyberpunk featured more modern "urban" music, rap and a few generic rock tracks.

Reply 4625 of 5958, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheMobRules wrote on 2022-12-28, 18:46:
I played through the entire game when it first came out and haven't touched it since, so things have probably changed, but: you' […]
Show full quote
liqmat wrote on 2022-12-28, 17:16:

I played through the entire game when it first came out and haven't touched it since, so things have probably changed, but: you're not far off regarding gameplay, the problem is that wreaking havoc in GTA is much more fun, in Cyberpunk as soon as you stray off the "intended path" all you get is AI breaking down in unintentionally funny ways. For example, at launch, a car that was positioned slightly incorrectly could create huge traffic jams due to the inability of the AI controlled cars to move a few centimeters in order to find an alternate path. Basically, interrupting the predetermined actions of NPCs or vehicles had a very high chance of messing up everything around them.

Also, I found the gameplay terribly unbalanced. I played a netrunner build, which is some sort of hacker, and even on the hardest difficulty nothing was ever a threat. The final boss melted before I could even see most of his attacks. And the (incredibly short) main campaign to me had the feeling that everything was 100% on rails, it was like watching a movie where I had to interact just to kill things or talk to people without even the slightest illusion that my choices mattered in any way.

Regarding the atmosphere, the Badlands (outskirts of the city) had a discount Mad Max feel, yes. The city itself was closer to Blade Runner, but not close enough... I'm not sure how to describe it, but Blade Runner seemed more contemplative, like something out of a strange dream, but in CP2077 it's more like our world with more advanced technology. Also the music makes a difference, the Vangelis score was a big part of the timeless BR atmosphere, while Cyberpunk featured more modern "urban" music, rap and a few generic rock tracks.

Thanks for responding. Yeah, that sounds close to what I was assuming. I'll probably play around with it eventually with some mods added.

Reply 4626 of 5958, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
newtmonkey wrote on 2022-12-28, 14:06:

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Another day, another Oblivion gate down. I'm impressed with the variety you get with these (or at least the ones that pop up around each town).

I detest those bloody gates but yes I think it's because of the random ones that start appearing at a certain point - they turn into a massive drag after a while if you're a completionist and can't ignore them. There's a mod that gets rid of all the random ones thankfully.

I'm having a love affair with 'The Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos'. I'm still messing around in the small starting town but there's lots to do and the atmosphere is perfect. There's masses of dialog which is helping with the world building - people talking about a recent flood or events on the mainland. The quests are generally quite simplistic so far but not dull - a shepard has lost his prize ram for example. He mentions that this ram ate the key to his chest before disappearing, so once you find it you have the choice of either leading it back to the shepard, or (I assume) killing it and taking the key. More XP for doing the right thing, or more gold for doing the wrong thing - that's classic Gothic 1 / 2.

I have some work to do before I can venture beyond the town's gates but I can't wait to see what's out there:

G3_2.png
Filename
G3_2.png
File size
1.87 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 4628 of 5958, by gmaverick2k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Played a couple of minutes of ryse son of Rome and also played project warlock which came as part of humble bundle. Pretty enjoyable like Doom

"What's all this racket going on up here, son? You watchin' yer girl cartoons again?"

Reply 4629 of 5958, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Amid Evil

Completed Today. I've been tying up a lot of loose ends. Surreal Quake throwback style shooter. Abstract enemies and levels the further along you go. Sometimes the levels seem more like gimmicks than design but it's still fun. Thumbs Up.

Reply 4630 of 5958, by NovaCN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just finished Super Lesbian Animal RPG; no that's not a joke, that is actually the title. Absurdly on-the-nose title aside, I had a lot of fun with this one. Simple little indie RPG that finally dropped recently after most of a decade in development, not all that much I can really say about it (she says, about to write a wall of text).

More or less standard turn-based JRPG gameplay, which makes sense as it was developed in RPG Maker. Does a lot to show what you can do with the engine though, even just sticking to the default battle mechanics.
The spritework is nicely-detailed, the soundtrack has a few catchy tunes, the character writing is solid, and it's got some pretty funny gags (the punchline to the recurring mummy encounters in the wasteland got a genuine chuckle out of me).
And when the story started to explore serious themes of anxiety, self-doubt, fear of how others perceive you, it ended up hitting pretty close to home. Game got to me.

To shift gears a bit after praising all that, I do have some quibbles with the gameplay. Each character has more or less one party role they're capable of serving (physical damage, magic damage, tank, healer) and a relatively short list of abilities that doesn't allow for much experimentation. Even the spellbook system doesn't do a whole lot, since just giving them something to enhance whatever they're already good at is flat-out more effective than trying to expand those roles. So with things like your one healer not getting any group healing spells until the endgame (and only if you chose a particular specialization), you're basically required to give her either Magical Girl or Bard for her spellbook since those are the only options that provide one.
Related is another issue: the game tells you nothing about what choosing the main character's paladin specialization actually does. Turns out that in addition to changing some dialogue, they give her one unique skill, and then each has a different exclusive lategame sidequest for a second unique skill: woodland gives more ways to heal, amorous allows restoring other resources besides HP, and resolute provides her only decent offensive moves. All of these feel like they should have just been part of her basic skillset instead of split up like this, and it's especially frustrating that you can only play one of those three sidequests per save file as well as all of them are fun and expand on different parts of the world or characters (two of them even have unique boss fights!).
I also kind of wish the level cap was a bit higher. Game's easy enough as it is, but when I hit the level cap of 30 before even entering the final dungeon (and then in the final dungeon I barely needed to touch any of the healing items I'd stocked up on), that's kind of disappointing. Raise the level cap, maybe make a few of the bosses a bit more challenging (in my entire playthrough, only one character was ever knocked out even once—and even then only once—and I never once got a game over), you'd have something a bit more satisfying here.

Okay I realize I spent a lot more time ranting about issues with the gameplay than I did talking about the things I liked but 1. It's kind of hard to discuss what I liked about the story without spoiling all of it, and 2. Those issues are really just nitpicks, especially considering this is the dev's first retail game. And on balance I did thoroughly enjoy my time with it. It's just a very charming game, and I'm looking forward to seeing whatever ponett makes next.

...Now I need to make time for all the games friends gave me for the holidays.

Last edited by NovaCN on 2022-12-29, 18:39. Edited 2 times in total.

[Insert late-aughts overly-elaborate animated signature banner here]

Reply 4631 of 5958, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got Wasteland 3 on sale for the price of a meal thanks to a Steam sale. https://store.steampowered.com/app/719040/Wasteland_3/ I got the Colorado edition.

Its honestly a GREAT game and i'm probably 1/3 the way through. Granted, squad style, turn based, RPG dont exactly have "mass appeal" but its really well polished and I think I've only encountered one maybe 2 minor glitches since I started. This is probably helped by the fact the game has been out for several years.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 4632 of 5958, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

C&C: Tiberian Sun NOD campaign done. First C&C where I like both campaigns equally and not clearly prefer one side over the other. I do like GDI's Titans more than NODs Tick Tanks but at the same time I like NODs Cyborgs over GDI's Wolverines so that evens things out. Wolverines are faster than Titans so they tend to get ahead and get themselves killed so fast I ultimately stopped using them while playing the GDI campaing, but Cyborgs are slightly slower than Tick Tanks so they tend to stay alive way longer and were much more useful to have. Also Cyborgs get their legs blown off after taking enough damage, the first time I noticed a bunch of legless Cyborgs dragging themselves on the ground after the main force was both hilarious and fairly gruesome sight.

But I guess I've scratched my RTS itch, I noticed the slow pace of Tiberian Sun started to bore me a little at times. Though what started to bother me more was the tiny attacks the AI throws at you, you really aren't in any kind of danger of getting overrun at any time. Even in the last mission all it took was a couple Artilleries to kill most of the attackers before they even got to their shooting range. I wonder was this a performance limitation, my 650MHz Pentium 3 coughed a little while ordering a large pile of units and the minimum for the game is 233MHz Pentium 2. Or maybe the engine just couldn't handle large amounts of units scurrying around.

Still need to beat the Firestorm NOD campaign, I think I can get that done but Red Alert 2 is going to have to wait for a while till my RTS batteries are recharged.

Reply 4633 of 5958, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sombrero wrote on 2022-12-29, 18:16:

C&C: Tiberian Sun NOD campaign done. First C&C where I like both campaigns equally and not clearly prefer one side over the other. I do like GDI's Titans more than NODs Tick Tanks but at the same time I like NODs Cyborgs over GDI's Wolverines so that evens things out. Wolverines are faster than Titans so they tend to get ahead and get themselves killed so fast I ultimately stopped using them while playing the GDI campaing, but Cyborgs are slightly slower than Tick Tanks so they tend to stay alive way longer and were much more useful to have. Also Cyborgs get their legs blown off after taking enough damage, the first time I noticed a bunch of legless Cyborgs dragging themselves on the ground after the main force was both hilarious and fairly gruesome sight.

But I guess I've scratched my RTS itch, I noticed the slow pace of Tiberian Sun started to bore me a little at times. Though what started to bother me more was the tiny attacks the AI throws at you, you really aren't in any kind of danger of getting overrun at any time. Even in the last mission all it took was a couple Artilleries to kill most of the attackers before they even got to their shooting range. I wonder was this a performance limitation, my 650MHz Pentium 3 coughed a little while ordering a large pile of units and the minimum for the game is 233MHz Pentium 2. Or maybe the engine just couldn't handle large amounts of units scurrying around.

Still need to beat the Firestorm NOD campaign, I think I can get that done but Red Alert 2 is going to have to wait for a while till my RTS batteries are recharged.

Also, when you get a chance, check out the OpenRA project. Someone even recreated a cancelled RTS called Hard Vacuum using OpenRA called OpenHV.

Reply 4634 of 5958, by gmaverick2k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

loaded up counter strike source italy map, got my fix with the M249 and uninstalled it. t'was a huge time sink a decade ago - currently clocked 271 hours on steam 😒
L4D and MOBAS like dota 2 and LoL many hours enjoyed

"What's all this racket going on up here, son? You watchin' yer girl cartoons again?"

Reply 4635 of 5958, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dead Island, waiting for Dead Island 2 to come out...
After a decade I'm waiting with some impatience, not dying but still happily waiting.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 4636 of 5958, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Finished! Being as how today is Dec. 31, this is definitely going to be my final game completed for 2022.
I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised with this, after completing Skyrim. It's susprising how much more complex Oblivion is in pretty much every way, from character stats and roleplaying mechanics, to dungeons layouts and quests. Oblivion also has a much more appealing story to me:

Spoiler

I like how you are not the chosen one, but just a normal guy that helps the actual chosen one save the world.

I decided early on to play a low level game, and I ended up finishing the game at level 2. The game played really well at low levels, and it almost felt like it was meant to be played like this. I would definitely recommend trying a vanilla game at low level, over installing leveling mods, etc.

The in-game clock says that it took me just over 26 hours to complete the main quest. I also did a lot of the side quests, including the entire Fighter's Guild questline, but didn't do any of the DLC content. I will keep a copy of my save, so I can do all that stuff if I ever feel like it.

I'm looking forward to playing Morrowind now! I did play that a lot back in the day, but never completed it.

Last edited by newtmonkey on 2022-12-31, 10:15. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 4637 of 5958, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
newtmonkey wrote on 2022-12-30, 17:01:

I also did a lot of the side quests, including the entire Fighter's Guild questline, but didn't do any of the DLC content. I will keep a copy of my save, so I can do all that stuff if I ever feel like it.

You should feel like it. The Shivering Isles is arguably the best piece of DLC Bethesda ever put out.

Spoiler

Also, you should do Sheogorath's daedric quest after you beat the DLC.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 4638 of 5958, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Happy New Year!

Here's what I've been playing over the holiday:

Titan Quest: Immortal Throne
I didn't play this when it first came out, and so It's interestng to play it now after completing Grim Dawn (I believe the same team developed both games). It plays a lot like Grim Dawn (actually, GD plays a lot like TQ), but it's much harder (and therefore more satisfying) than GD. I'm still playing a spear & shield melee character, and so far have been really enjoying this game. I guess it's a bit annoying how linear it is, though of course Grim Dawn has the same linear world layout. If you're gonna make a linear game, I think I'd just prefer it to be like Diablo with a single dungeon with shortcuts every few levels back to town. For a more sprawling game, I prefer the Diablo II or Torchlight II approach.

Wasteland 2
I had a blast playing through the first Wasteland game a few years ago, so now it's time to tackle the sequel. After fooling around with the Director's Cut for a bit, I decided to just play the original version on the standard difficulty level, thinking that I could always replay the game years from now using the Director's Cut on a higher difficulty level. So far, I really, really like this! It's like Wasteland mixed with Fallout 1. Also, it's so nice play a modernish computer RPG that has a proper computer game interface; this is what I was imagining compuer RPGs would be like in the future, 30 years ago. Full party creation (with tons of complexity), the ability to interact with things in the environment with you characters' skills, satisfying turn-based combat, a giant world to explore... I hope it stays this good all the way through!

I guess if I had to nitpick, the writing is a bit too try-hard and edgy, and a bit fake. It's quite good when describing stuff or providing exposition, but the dialog doesn't read like anything people would actually say. I usually don't really pay much attention to this stuff, but it was weird enough that I took notice.

Reply 4639 of 5958, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
newtmonkey wrote on 2022-12-31, 15:59:

Wasteland 2
I had a blast playing through the first Wasteland game a few years ago, so now it's time to tackle the sequel. After fooling around with the Director's Cut for a bit, I decided to just play the original version on the standard difficulty level, thinking that I could always replay the game years from now using the Director's Cut on a higher difficulty level. So far, I really, really like this! It's like Wasteland mixed with Fallout 1. Also, it's so nice play a modernish computer RPG that has a proper computer game interface; this is what I was imagining compuer RPGs would be like in the future, 30 years ago. Full party creation (with tons of complexity), the ability to interact with things in the environment with you characters' skills, satisfying turn-based combat, a giant world to explore... I hope it stays this good all the way through!

I guess if I had to nitpick, the writing is a bit too try-hard and edgy, and a bit fake. It's quite good when describing stuff or providing exposition, but the dialog doesn't read like anything people would actually say. I usually don't really pay much attention to this stuff, but it was weird enough that I took notice.

IMO, the writing quality has steadily decreased in the Wasteland series. The third one got great reviews, but I found the writing to be pretty bad. Without going into spoilers, they to create a conflict between the Rangers and a major character, but it felt contrived to me. They also clearly went for a satirical commentary on modern America, but a lot of it fell short for me. I think that Fallout did a better job in this regard. For example, the game introduces a character that was probably inspired by Fallout's Liberty Prime, but more poorly done imo. That's not to say that I don't enjoy satire, but it isn't the easiest thing to write well, as you need to include the right amount of subtlety and nuance.