VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm sure there's been various "Greatest Game" threads in the past, but I'd like to post this one as a HUGE recommendation to fans of Action games and fans of multiplayer games. Most people have never tried the game I'm about to tell you about, largely because when it first came out, it was almost unplayable by your average PC due to its high (for the time) system requirements to play *well* (the minimum system requirements would get you only a choppy slideshow).

Yessir, to play this game well, you'd need a minimum of Pentium 200 MMX, although to make it really shine, you want a 300mhz machine or faster. And forget about that fancy 3DFX card...this game -- despite rumors of hardware acceleration with the original 3D Blaster -- did NOT support such graphics acceleration.

The game? ROCKET JOCKEY, by SegaSoft !

What makes the game so wonderful? Well, several things.

to begin with, it's hilarious. The sound effects of gasps and primal screams, all set in an alternate universe with retro-looking "jockeys" riding on rocket cycles shooting harpoon-tipped cables out from their vehicles' sides, was nothing short of mind-numbing fun! Not to mention the stylish surf-guitar soundtrack with anarchic rhythms that really set the mood.

What else makes it great? Well, you didn't need a mouse or joystick for the actual in-game action -- a keyboard not only does just fine, but it is the most natural and preferred control device for maneuvering your jockey. This made it a great for laptops (that were fast enough) running Win95 or 98. Also, the most AWESOME aspect of this jewel of a game was the Multiplayer mode, which was only available when you downloaded the later-issued LAN patch (another reason why the game was largely unheralded when it first came out sans multiplayer). You can play against friends over the internet, or on your own LAN -- and let me tell you...NOTHING beats the sensation of harpooning two of your best gaming buddies off of their rocket cycles, and then tieing their cables TOGETHER which causes them to run around stumbling and pulling each other to and fro as they try to break the cable!

There are lots of other game modes (Rocket Ball, Rocket Race) but the Rocket War (Multiplayer) is the one you'll keep coming back to.

But anyway, if you never listen to ANY other thing I say on this board, listen to this bit of advice: Get a copy of Rocket Jockey (or download the free demo) and spend the time to LEARN to play it (it takes a few hours to get the hang of how to play it *well*). It is one of the 3 or 4 most satisfying games I have ever played in my life...and I've played a bunch! (note: it can be played on systems later than Win98, but you might have to do some file copying and manipulation, which is documented at a site or two on the web -- I just play it on Win95 or 98 myself).

Download the demo (thanks to akula65 for the link!) and give it a try! http://www.fileplanet.com/11014/10000/fileinfo/

PS: If anyone wants to do an internet multiplayer game with me, give me a PM!

Last edited by digitaldoofus on 2013-06-02, 22:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Once you try retrogaming, you'll never go back...

Reply 4 of 13, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe I should have inserted my avatar between each paragraph of my original post. 😀

Seriously, though...if any of you guys try this game, please post back and let me know how you liked it. When I turned a few of my friends onto it a few years ago, they also became lifelong fans. I ask you: What man out there wouldn't enjoy riding around a large stadium on a rocket, making harirpin turns by latching onto pylons, and then shooting cables with harpoon tips at other rocket riders???

Reply 6 of 13, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hater Depot wrote:

Hmm.... greatest game I've never played... probably Day of the Tentacle or Grim Fandango.

...and Rocket Jockey. 😉

Reply 7 of 13, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Long time no see, digitaldoofus!

I remember reading a review of it in the Computer Games Strategy Plus magazine long time back. Never had a chance to play it though.

And it did receive favourable reviews, iirc.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 8 of 13, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Malik wrote:

Long time no see, digitaldoofus!

I remember reading a review of it in the Computer Games Strategy Plus magazine long time back. Never had a chance to play it though.

And it did receive favourable reviews, iirc.

Hi, Malik. Yeah, a couple of the big "magazine" reviews saw at least a bit of the game's potential (since they almost always had cutting edge equipment)...but this game is one of those rare creatures that got MUCH better a few years later, when much faster processors became widely available to run it on (of course, by then, the game had floundered in the marketplace and was largely forgotten). I mean, when this game came out, a Pentium 133 was considered a FAST machine...and the game ran quite choppy at that speed.

Reply 12 of 13, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stull wrote:

It kind of reminds me of Jet Moto, with the "bike" and the grappling. Looks like that's where it stops, though.

Yeah, I played Jet Moto (and Jet Moto 2, and Jet Moto 3), hoping that these games would be similar to Rocket Jockey -- but those Jet Moto games are virtually "unplayable" with much, much worse physics and less controllability than Rocket Jockey. Also, the Jet Moto games are pretty much just "race" games (with a little Road Rash style combat thrown in).

Rocket Jockey is worlds better, more sophisticated, and a much deeper game. And the physics of the gameplay is 1000% better than the Jet Moto games. For anyone who takes the time to learn to play Rocket Jockey, and then maybe buy the full version and install the LAN patch -- the rewards are awesome (of course, you need to find a partner to get a multiplayer game going...but it's definitely worth the trouble!)

Reply 13 of 13, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:

The video gives you the music and a view of some of the gameplay, but I guess it's being played on an emulator because it doesn't include all the great sound effects (the primal screams when a Rocket Jockey is harpooned, the crash sounds, explosions, etc.)

As a retrogamer, your gaming life is just not complete until you've played Rocket Jockey. Any Windows 95/8 machine ranging from a Pentium 200 to a PIII-650 will give you a terrific platform to play it on. Download the demo (thanks to akula65 for the link!) and give it a try! http://www.fileplanet.com/11014/10000/fileinfo/