VOGONS

Common searches

Just an important heads up

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 101 of 325, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
collector wrote:

It is exactly the same one from the original VOGONS.

The old logo from that Wayback Machine link - 11,035 bytes
Current logo - 13,166 bytes

I'm using FF 22.0, and the new logo looks good here (though I can see a very slight difference in color between the two). The new PNG seems to have a few extra chunks compared to the old one - pHYs, gAMA and cHRM... I guess stripping the latter two could fix it?

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 104 of 325, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
HunterZ wrote:
Stiletto wrote:

"View active topics" seems to do nothing... one of the few features I wanted badly...

I noticed this too.

Indeed. Not sure why this doesn't work.

Regarding the icon,
I haven't changed it since the upgrade of this board.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 105 of 325, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just wanted to say that there a lot of useful improvements (for example - the many shortcut links and new next/previous over the former website. Lots of good addons. Now all that remains are the analysis and implementations of appropriate suggestions. 😀

Been using/visiting Vogons almost everyday since I registered, and it has become like my home on the net with many helpful, good friends around.

EDIT : One more suggestion : The color-theme of the edit buttons - "Quote", "Post Reply". etc. to match the previous version? I guess it's already in the process of finalization with the suggested contributions.
The "Submit" and "Full Editor" buttons below the Quick Reply box, looks fine though which look more apprpriate with this new version.

Just a look at the past and present :

Old
9207063486_57b089612c_b.jpg

New
9207082384_feb6d02cca_b.jpg

Looking back, the old version looks well organized, but I guess with new additions and complexities, things are bound to change.

Comments on the differences:

1. The lines that separated the Authors, Views, Replies and Last Post columns made it look neat in the old site.

2. There's a huge white space after the Last Post in the new site.

3. Though the columns are in order in the new site, the lack of lines makes it look cluttered, especially with the number/range of pages column.

4. The new site looks good in big and wide screen LCDs, though.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 106 of 325, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

it actually makes it like more normal forums, it would look cleaner if the author name was put in a column instead of under each title, that is the biggest change that makes it look more complex.

EDIT: yeah those lines helped a quite a bit on the old forums.

Reply 107 of 325, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I am "glad" to see that most of the issues seem to be with viewforum, as that is the place that I feel could use some improvements as well.

Yesterday, I mocked up this : https://www.dropbox.com/s/t7c09rovdb3lamj/view.png
The only part that is missing is the author of a topic, nonetheless it could be considered an improvement.

An alternative would be to decrease the size of the author and maybe remove the date from that

by Qbix

And maybe even drop the pagination from the topics.

@Stiletto and HunterZ, I've repaired the active topic link. Thanks for the report.

120x120 avatar has been restored
Mod colour was changed to something slightly darker.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 108 of 325, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For the formatting, imho,

1. The pagination can be dropped - it'll be useful only if one knows what is present at which page. And if there are many pages, the page numbers occuring somewhere in the middle of the thread may not show up in the pagination too.

2. The "Started On" date might come in handy.

3. The return of the Author column as cdoublejj mentioned might tidy up the tables.

4. OR, by duplicating the Last Post column format from the old website and consolidating the Author column with the Started date would be good too, i.e.,

e.g.

Under "Author" column,

[Date]@[Time]
by [Author]

5. Align the "Last Post" column to the right

6. And finally, the lines separating the columns?

Just a few of my humble suggestions. Depending on all members for the opinions and suggestions too.

And, I guess it's not possible to embed playable video, yet?

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 109 of 325, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. my attached picture on the previous page is constantly "Not downloaded yet"

2. Qbix what do you think about that picture btw

4. There is useless white sheet icon at the beginning of pagination (any way to remove it?)

5. My suggestion to make threads list more clear would be to swap places of pagination with author/date so that pagination is on the left, while author/date is on the right. Right side is not used anyway, and pagination on the left won't be making title unclear.

6. I think the amount of characters should be increased (don't know what was the limit on old forum, but the new limit looks to be not enough for many properly written titles here.

Reply 111 of 325, by Flashback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay I figured out what was up with the logo being displayed that way. Apparently setting gfx.color_management.mode to 0 in about:config solves the problem. Just wanted to post this for anyone else who might experience it.

Sorry to bother you guys with this.

Reply 114 of 325, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The orange page like TINY icon next to the far left icon

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 115 of 325, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My suggestion for viewforum -

- Author can be in a separate column, like in the old layout. Plenty of room for this with the whitespace, and it won't mess up the thread list.
- Keep the pagination, but put it right after the topic title, without a newline and without those fancy boxes. As in:

etc... this keeps the advantage of the new template while still being easy to read, and should work well for any window width.

Reply 117 of 325, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well things should take up roughly the same space as now, just arranged differently... 'author' column would more or less replace the huge whitespace on the right, and pagination would be in line with the topic so that column goes too. Even 'replies' and 'views' could be narrowed down a little if needed.
Worth a try IMO 😀

Reply 119 of 325, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Minor issue here that I don't know how to fix. On the old forum topics were always marked as read, where as now anything that I've not read since whenever always shows up as unread.
I searched the control panel for an option and there doesn't seem a button with a "Mark as Read" option.

Can anyone help me out with this one?