VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by lucky7456969

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
It's an adult male voice in a song I'd like to cut off.
I try audacity and use the vocal remover plugin.
I try to use a range of 20-20000Hz but I can still hear a faint voice
I use format factory first, but does it support uncompressed format of wav
Thanks
Jack

Reply 1 of 7, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's likely you won't be able to really eliminate all the voice, depending on other factors you may kill other instruments as well.
Anyway...male voices range from ~80Hz. for the lowest and deepest to ~440Hz. for the highest, so you may try lowering those frequencies (mind you: a LOT of instruments fall in that range too, try lowering the mid ranges first (quite visible on a graphic EQ since they're well...in the middle (around 250Hz and 500Hz...unless you use a parametric EQ...so you can finely adjust it).
20Hz. to 20Khz. is the whole audible range, music usually ranges, at most 60 Hz. to 18Khz. so setting all that range does nothing.
Why the vocal remover didn't work?
Because it works based on phase cancellation.

Reply 2 of 7, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, if the vocal remover works to some degree, try using it in conjunction with an EQ as Bloodbat explained.
Experiment with the EQ either before or after the vocal filter.
Also look how the vocal is panned, you might be able to do a cleaner job by processing each Left and Right channel independently.
Its all I can add.
Good luck.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 3 of 7, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thinking about it some more...it MAY work to do the opposite process:
Remove all instruments EXCEPT for the vocals, invert the phase of your all vocals track and mix it with the song, you might just get enough phase cancellations to remove most vocals from the track, then just mask them with the other instruments
As MaxWar suggested, the Audacity vocals remover works for center panned vocals (it says so on the plugin), so you may get better results processing each channel separately if the vocals are panned.

Reply 6 of 7, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"male voices range from ~80Hz. for the lowest and deepest to ~440Hz. for the highest" - Really... Not for Freddie. If you say you don't know Freddie, I will spank you with a cheese shredder.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)