Since the mid '90's, a PC tech and consultant, of course 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 25 of 102, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm supposed to be finishing high school through some correspondence courses, but I haven't really had the motivation to work on them over the past while.

Other than that, I haven't ever really bothered to pursue actual employment, mainly because of my various mental health issues and my wildly inconsistent sleep schedule. It's kind of odd because some days I can actually function like a semi-normal human being, whereas on other days I'm just completely out of it. It's very unpredictable, and even with the pills I'm on I still have days where I barely leave my room.

Reply 26 of 102, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

I am Death. Devourer of worlds.

🤣

I feel like there's something missing in that sentence. How about: "Mwuahahahahaha" at the end?

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I'm supposed to be finishing high school through some correspondence courses, but I haven't really had the motivation to work on them over the past while.

Other than that, I haven't ever really bothered to pursue actual employment, mainly because of my various mental health issues and my wildly inconsistent sleep schedule. It's kind of odd because some days I can actually function like a semi-normal human being, whereas on other days I'm just completely out of it. It's very unpredictable, and even with the pills I'm on I still have days where I barely leave my room.

I'm glad you can join in this forum and share your experiences here. Your posts usually do not reflect the extent of your medical problems you have been suffering from. You are courageous. 😀

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 27 of 102, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:
idspispopd wrote:

(customizing an ERP system).

Germany + ERP = SAP?

No, smaller company, customers are small to medium businesses.

Reply 28 of 102, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Heh. One of my first IT jobs (2001 or so) was translating the interface text for SAP modules and doing data entry -- never ending fun with ctrl+c / ctrl+v. 'Mind numbing' wouldn't even begin to describe it.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 29 of 102, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:
:lol: […]
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:

I am Death. Devourer of worlds.

🤣

I feel like there's something missing in that sentence. How about: "Mwuahahahahaha" at the end?

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I'm glad you can join in this forum and share your experiences here. Your posts usually do not reflect the extent of your medical problems you have been suffering from. You are courageous. 😀

Thank you. 😀 I usually find it to be easier to talk to people online than it is to talk to people in person, and I just generally take on a more positive tone. That said, I have uploaded a fair number of whiny deviantART journals over the years, mainly because like anyone else, I occasionally need to vent, and that's the closest thing I have to an actual blog. 🤣

Reply 30 of 102, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I run a managed services department at an enterprise software company.

Previously I have worked in technical support at various levels (from dial-up internet to high-end server hardware,) at various companies, and ran my own business doing on-site computer repair for almost a decade. (At my high point I had half a dozen employees.)

Reply 31 of 102, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I joined the USAF in 1984 and left in 1988 due to me being on the Fat Boy Program 🙁

Found a computer job at a local company where we sold software and hardware via Mail Order. This progressed into our little side application business, anybody remember Hands On Software for the C64/C128 and Amiga computers ?

This is where I got into cracking copy protection schemes for the Kracker Jax series and later the Maverick Toolkit.

After a few years I got burnt out on this and left the company, around the mid nineties.

I then went to work for a local ISP named Teleport, in the Pacific Northwest, did the standard desktop support and helping folks get connected on dial-up, started in 1998 until the folks at Earthlink purchased the company and closed the PDX offices. However I was able to get a lot of training and network know how here including visiting the local NOC in the Pittock Block in downtown Portland.

From here it took took exactly one week to find my next job as I had some contacts I called up before the office closed, so I had an in with a local POS company.

This company too got purchased about 3 or so years ago but I'm still working for them as the parent company needed a lot of tech support folks to work remotely from home, this is a choice job now, traffic is a thing of the past and I only fill up my gas tank about once every three months 😁

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 34 of 102, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm a certified electrician, but had to give up that line of work after having a close (too close) encounters with a 17-tonne forklift.
Now I'm retraining, doing a bachelors degree in computer science (which has always been my first hobby).

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 35 of 102, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm a UNIX guy. sysadmin for 14 years , ex IBM ex HP working at Xerox now.

this is me, being a UNIX guy also at home.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P-K5ycAHzI

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 36 of 102, by retrofool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I'm an electrical engineer and that is my current job, but I also have a chemistry degree. I was in the airforce for awhile but didn't much like it. I've been an auto mechanic for longer than I liked and I was a welder for a time as well. Electronics and computers have been my hobby since forever 😀

can't seem to throw anything out...

Reply 37 of 102, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Boss emailed me yesterday and said that they have decided they may still need me (after telling me since March I wouldn't have a job when I got back) but they've outsourced server support while I was gone which means I'd be doing only Helpdesk functions and misc things that people in the building assume is IT related because it "makes sense"......yeah sounds like fun. (Yeah it is a job but it's a dead-end and there's no possibility at all that it will get better)

Today I received a call from the recruiter for the SysAdmin only position at this new job to setup a phone interview tomorrow.

Wish me luck!

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 38 of 102, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, looks like we are a minority here to not work in a IT field.

I do real estate management. I guess you could call me a general purpose problem solver.

Whenever there is something wrong; from heating problems, unpaid rent, bedbug infestation or a rotting corpse in the closet, you call me.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 39 of 102, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

Wish me luck!

Good luck! I haven't been on the receiving end of an interview for over 6 years, yuk. Still, if you gotta do one, then over the phone is the way to go.

MaxWar wrote:

Whenever there is something wrong; from heating problems, unpaid rent, bedbug infestation or a rotting corpse in the closet, you call me.

Problem solving / fixing stuff seems to be a common thread though.

I was thinking about my job this morning as I rode into work - at the end of the day writing back end services for a corporate company just boils down to pushing 0's and 1's around for a paycheck. One of these days I'd like to do something that has actual meaning. I'd consider fixing people's heater as having meaning.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.