VOGONS

Common searches

PowerVR Card

Topic actions

First post, by Alucard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a powervr card layout looks like an pcx2 but it seems to be an midas3 (PCX1) out of a compaq presario

the only driver which it let me install without an yellow "!" is the midas3 driver of the powervr driverpackage from vogonsdrivers. but no game or bench would work. Is there a compatibility issue with my pentium 4 or the asus sis645dx board ? Because the card gets also really hot.
Maybe someone has the original compaq driver?

Reply 1 of 20, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You say it looks like a PCX2? Then it is most likely a Videologic Apocalypse 3D (PCX1). The midas 3 looks quite different from the PCX cards. Compaq supplied both the Midas3 and later the PCX1 in their machines.

I think Midas3 support is only included in the PowerVR PCX1 3.0.2c1 drivers.

Last edited by vetz on 2013-07-29, 14:35. Edited 1 time in total.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 20, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dont have card (want it too), but pcx 1/2 should be one chip design and Midas 3 chip design. So if your card have 3 chips, it should be midas. Only one high res photo i know is here.

adpAxHCO.jpg
/moderator edited to reduce image size

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 5 of 20, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
robertmo wrote:

you can right click the picture and open it full

The picture is shown in full size inside the post at my computer, ruining the whole thread.

Reply 7 of 20, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:
robertmo wrote:

The picture is shown in full size inside the post at my computer, ruining the whole thread.

what is your browser (version)?

Reply 8 of 20, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
robertmo wrote:
vetz wrote:
robertmo wrote:

what is your browser (version)?

Google Chrome, latest version: 28.0.1500.72 m

Alucard: That is not the Midas3, but the PCX1. You should install the latest PCX1 drivers.

Reply 9 of 20, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IE8,9,10, opera, opera next, firefox work fine so i wonder what is broken in chrome.
What desktop resolution you use and how exactly the thread is ruined? is the picture covering lower posts so they are unreadable?
Oh, i guess it makes every post very wide 😉

Reply 10 of 20, by Alucard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

perhaps i didnt make it clear, i tried the other ones (like 4.x.x) out of that package but none worked (always the yellow "!" - something about could not start) the 3.x.x worked but no game can be started always crash back to desktop or no D3D compatible card found or something like that.
Thats why I asked if there is an compatibility issue with p4's (something similar to the voodoo2 and AMD CPU issue) or is it the Riva128 host card?

Reply 11 of 20, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could be the PnP bios, i've had that affect detection of the PCX2 in even P2 systems. The P4 CPU should me fine with it (I use a PCX2 with one).

Also, an nvidia host video card can play a factor into crashes with the PCX card running it through Direct3D (but not OpenGL or SGL). Others (ATi, 3dfx, S3, PowerVR Kyro, Matrox) should get along fine.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 20, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What kind of games are you testing? Just Direct3D? It is easier to get PowerVR cards, especially the PCX1 to work with PowerSGL games.

Since the card does give errors in the Device Mananger in Windows, there might be a hardware conflict somewhere. I've never used a PowerVR card on a Pentium 4 system, so I have no idea if they are compatible (motherboard and chipset wise)

Reply 14 of 20, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could try the Tomb Raider DEMO since it runs in DOS:
http://download.cnet.com/Tomb-Raider-Power-VR … 4-10011068.html

There are quite a few P4 chipsets, maybe the one you are using is problematic? IIRC the PCX1 came out in 1997 when Pentium MMX and Pentium II were the latest CPUs. I don't think it is necessary to run it with anything faster than a Pentium III.

Reply 15 of 20, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo wrote:

IE8,9,10, opera, opera next, firefox work fine so i wonder what is broken in chrome.
What desktop resolution you use and how exactly the thread is ruined? is the picture covering lower posts so they are unreadable?
Oh, i guess it makes every post very wide 😉

I'm using Opera 15 and I can assure you it most definitely is NOT working. I'm getting full screen images here, as well.

Reply 17 of 20, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

I fixed the images. Please use thumbnails people!

I don't see an option for that in Opera. It's either display images or don't display images, no option for viewing thumbnails.

Reply 18 of 20, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

I don't see an option for that in Opera. It's either display images or don't display images, no option for viewing thumbnails.

I wasn't referring to any browser feature. What I meant was if a person is going to post photos, he should use thumbnails. Directly posting large area >1MB images is doing it wrong.

Reply 19 of 20, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:
sliderider wrote:

I wasn't referring to any browser feature. What I meant was if a person is going to post photos, he should use thumbnails. Directly posting large area >1MB images is doing it wrong.

Oh, OK. I thought that was a browser feature to shrink down images until they were clicked on so pages would load faster.