VOGONS

Common searches

What's cool in your collection?

Topic actions

First post, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm curious what folks here have in their collections that they consider particularly cool or are proud of. For me it is my complete copy of Microsoft Adventure, a sealed copy of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade that came in some kind of pouch as an OEM release, and a copy of Infocom's Journey that has the pouch and crystal. I think those are the neatest and rarest things I have.

I'm also proud of having several sealed DOS games (which will remain that way) and good number of other games which are 100% complete.

Korea Beat -- my cool translation blog.

Reply 1 of 57, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a 386 machine - rescued from a scrap heap - which I really like because it's complete and original. Most computers in my collection were built from a mishmash of bits I've scrounged over time, but this thing is a great example of a well built early 90's clone which looks like it came out of a time capsule.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 57, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Twinhead PC-100: an 8088-based PC with an integrated Famicom clone, all in a 'headless laptop' form factor!
It was sold here in Chile during the early 90s as a low cost PC alternative, but the 7-in-1 Famicom multicart it came with made it infringe copyright and thus it was quickly pulled off the market. Now they're pretty rare and mostly unheard of, pretty much everything you can find on the Internet about this machine in the English language has been written by me. 😵

2617665968_e81f4a8fc6.jpg

2616842067_522ab20306.jpg

I did a (not so good) three part review on YouTube about 3 years ago:
Twinhead PC-100 Review Part 1 - Overview
Twinhead PC-100 Review Part 2 - PC System
Twinhead PC-100 Review Part 3 - Famicom/NES System

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 3 of 57, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Software, all boxed:
Original IBM-branded copy of Kings Quest for PCjr.
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, with all original pack-ins. (The "Don't Panic" button lives on my covered-with-buttons baseball cap.)
A bunch of other less-popular Infocom games
Had an IBM-branded copy of Microsoft Adventure, sold it.
Microsoft Flight Simulator 1.0
Monkey Island

Hardware:
Original Macintosh with 1983-manufacture-date serial number.
PowerPC ThinkPad
NeXTstation Turbo (complete with full suite of accessories, including matching black CD-ROM drive and laser printer.

Reply 4 of 57, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Probably my complete boxed Cybertroopers Virtual On for PowerVR with the PCX2 and the official joystick.

ok_h_2000-img600x450-1355041114i14iix2546.jpg

Have never seen anyone else own this, so it makes it pretty rare and I love both the game, the PowerVR version and the joystick. It's awesome!

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 5 of 57, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

- NEC XR385, courtesy of badmofo, I'm one of very few owners in Russia 😀 I know it's not that huge for you guys, but there was hardly anyone here in Russia to buy such a board.

- IBM PC300PL with Pentium II-450 and perfectly matching IBM P76 monitor. A very cool desktop PC with original maxed out CPU, rigged with double Voodoo II and Aureal Vortex 2 or SB Live! depending on what I want to do with it (currently sitting around with no software to run, I'm a lazy, lazy person). I tried calculating how much it was worth back in the days and came to a conclusion that the same amount of money could buy an old Daewoo Nexia )))

Reply 6 of 57, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does a sealed AWE32 Value count? Not that I'd be a lot into that card though 😀

I'm quite fond of my Gamecube collection. I own just about every worthwile game for the system and will get the few remaining ones eventually.

Reply 7 of 57, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

- Boxed Paradise Tasmania 3D
- Boxed Fujitsu Sapphire SX2
- PowerVR Neon250
- Voodoo Volts Dynamic Load Test Board

- The fact that my PowerVR collection is nearly complete (missing a 32MiB PCI Kyro II, the Kyro IIse and an STG-5500 development board)

- My entire 3dfx collection; one of the largest and diverse (if not the most diverse) around.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 10 of 57, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My complete-in-box copy of Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake for MSX2 is probably the rarest and most interesting thing I have.

Everything else I own is pretty hum-drum.

I take pride in my retro PC gaming setup, but it's nothing I'd call "interesting", it's pretty standard fare, and pales in comparison to some of the awesome MIDI and 3D-accelerator setups that some people on here have.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 12 of 57, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

😲 indeed!

We need to know more about the Neon250, can you enlighten us? Some benchmarks perhaps?

I am going to do that, but it'll be a while before I get to that card.

Reply 13 of 57, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't know about cool but the stuff that makes most proud is:

-Boxed copy of Dink Smallwood
-Boxed System Shock 2
-Boxed copy of Unreal 2
-Boxed copy of Grim Fandango
-Sonic 1,2,3,Knuckles for my Mega Drive
-Space Orb 360 controller

Reply 14 of 57, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NitroX infinity wrote:

Some light on this pls - what it is item you're proud of. Google shows nothing same as searching your site...

In mine collection i most like original working IBM EGA card (cause in eastern europe its quite rare stuff) and all mine proffesional cards mostly from Intergraph (because they were rare, expensive and no info about them except on mine site and that makes them feel unique to me)

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 15 of 57, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vlask wrote:
NitroX infinity wrote:

Some light on this pls - what it is item you're proud of. Google shows nothing same as searching your site...

In mine collection i most like original working IBM EGA card (cause in eastern europe its quite rare stuff) and all mine proffesional cards mostly from Intergraph (because they were rare, expensive and no info about them except on mine site and that makes them feel unique to me)

I work for an engineering company, and have contacts who are either currently with, or formerly with Intergraph. Want me to drop them a line to see if they have anything filed away that might help you?

Some of them were with the company back in PDP-11 days. They probably turfed a lot of their old documentation when the company was bought, but can't hurt to ask, right?

PM me if you're interested! 😀

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 16 of 57, by Slaventus86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The most interesting cards from my collection in my opininon:
- XGI Volari V8 Duo Ultra
- Videologic Apocalypse 5D Sonic
- NeTpower UltraFX
- NEC TE4E

Fujitsu Sapphire SX2 is based on 3DLabs GLiNT 300SX - one of the first 3DLabs 3D chips

Videocard Virtual Museum

Reply 17 of 57, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vlask wrote:
NitroX infinity wrote:

It has the very first 3D accelerator on it; the 3DLabs Glint 300SX

Reply 18 of 57, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Right now I think the coolest things I have are my Nexgen stuff. 2 VL-bus motherboards with 90mhz rated nx586's and 1 PCI board with a 100mhz rated nx586. Still hunting for a nx586 with FPU for a reasonable price but they are proving to be nearly impossible. Anyone who has one it seems like they either don't want to sell or want a small fortune for them.

Reply 19 of 57, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NitroX infinity wrote:
vlask wrote:
NitroX infinity wrote:

It has the very first 3D accelerator on it; the 3DLabs Glint 300SX

Are you sure that was the first? I seem to recall that IBM had a CAD card out before then that did some 3D acceleration functions in hardware.