Common searches

What's cool in your collection?

Topic actions

Reply 41 of 57, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not for somebody who's seen boxes of that thing before... Man I wish my father got this instead of the AdLib. WAY more musical potential with a OPP than the measly OPL2. (though the OPL3 can be paired to four-op mode the polyphony sucks)

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 42 of 57, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jan3Sobieski wrote:
I guess everything I have here. Bonus points to anyone who can guess what's in the box the arrow is pointing to. (Brand new, in […]
Show full quote

I guess everything I have here. Bonus points to anyone who can guess what's in the box the arrow is pointing to. (Brand new, in box btw)
3tNEkwis.jpg

Does this computer shop in the picture have an online webpage ?! Hope they take VISA 🤣 🤣 🤣

This certainly looks like the underground storage chamber of a mysteriously specialized computer store...
And I think I spot the top of a retail crate full of sealed Roland SCC-1 boxes just out of view, below those shelved LAPC-I's ! 😎

Reply 43 of 57, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bestemor wrote:

This certainly looks like the underground storage chamber of a mysteriously specialized computer store...
And I think I spot the top of a retail crate full of sealed Roland SCC-1 boxes just out of view, below those shelved LAPC-I's ! 😎

You are not far off when saying it's an underground storage chamber. 😉 As far as a crate full of sealed SCC-1's... I wish 😀 However, one of the LAPC-I's actually is brand new as well.

Reply 44 of 57, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jan3Sobieski wrote:
bestemor wrote:

You are not far off when saying it's an underground storage chamber. 😉 As far as a crate full of sealed SCC-1's... I wish 😀 However, one of the LAPC-I's actually is brand new as well.

Where exactly do you live? And by exactly I mean street address and directions please 🤣

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 45 of 57, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess one "cool" thing I have in my collection, that is in no way, shape or form game-related, is an original Itanium CPU - given to me before it was released to the public.

Reply 46 of 57, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Freak wrote:

I guess one "cool" thing I have in my collection, that is in no way, shape or form game-related, is an original Itanium CPU - given to me before it was released to the public.

Yeah, but can you play Crysis with it? 🤣

Reply 47 of 57, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I seen someone play Crysis 1 on a Soundblaster 16 ISA, Pentium III and a Voodoo 3 (or was it 5?)... Hilarious stuff there.

I'd say the only thing interesting that I have is a Vectrex console, though sadly my father never mailed in for Minestorm 2 because I never got that far as a child to uncover the bug in Minestorm 1.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 48 of 57, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jan3Sobieski wrote:
I guess everything I have here. Bonus points to anyone who can guess what's in the box the arrow is pointing to. (Brand new, in […]
Show full quote

I guess everything I have here. Bonus points to anyone who can guess what's in the box the arrow is pointing to. (Brand new, in box btw)
3tNEkwis.jpg

you have a Tropez Plus sound card ? the box looks different than mine, I wonder what other stuff do you have from TB.

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 50 of 57, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vmunix wrote:
Jan3Sobieski wrote:
Show full quote

3tNEkwis.jpg

you have a Tropez Plus sound card ? the box looks different than mine, I wonder what other stuff do you have from TB.

That's pretty much it. I also have a brand new boxed Maui, but that's a pretty common card from what I hear.

Reply 51 of 57, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is an impressive collection!

I hardly ever get the box that belongs to the parts.
Once I obtained a boxed Turtle Beach Montego II Home Studio set. But I got rid of the box itself, as it was a bit large.
Do I spot that particular box in that photo on the right? And what are these four green 'Sound Card' boxes?

I have this Audiotrix Pro soundcard which looks pretty exotic.
My coolest items are my unlocked Pentium III Processors: they literally remain cool, without fan, when set to do a mere 200MHz at 1,3 Volt.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 53 of 57, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerwin wrote:
That is an impressive collection! I hardly ever get the box that belongs to the parts. Once I obtained a boxed Turtle Beach M […]
Show full quote

That is an impressive collection!

I hardly ever get the box that belongs to the parts.
Once I obtained a boxed Turtle Beach Montego II Home Studio set. But I got rid of the box itself, as it was a bit large.
Do I spot that particular box in that photo on the right? And what are these four green 'Sound Card' boxes?

I have this Audiotrix Pro soundcard which looks pretty exotic.
My coolest items are my unlocked Pentium III Processors: they literally remain cool, without fan, when set to do a mere 200MHz at 1,3 Volt.

That Audiotrix Pro sound card is pretty nice. I think Cloudschatze also has one. I vaguely remember a thread about it.

The box on the right is MaxiSound Home Studio Pro 64. The card is labeled SC8600. Looks just like this but mine is version 2.0

The cards in green boxes are just labeled Gallant sound card Pro 16 and are some ESS audiodrive cards. Nothing fancy

Reply 54 of 57, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jan3Sobieski wrote:

That Audiotrix Pro sound card is pretty nice. I think Cloudschatze also has one.

The ATP is a great "all-in-one" card on its own, but becomes truly exceptional with the impossible-to-find expansion daughterboards installed. Definitely cool. 😀

Reply 55 of 57, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, at then all owners of the card agree!

Jan3Sobieski wrote:

The cards in green boxes are just labeled Gallant sound card Pro 16 and are some ESS audiodrive cards. Nothing fancy

Gallant you say, It would surprise me if it was ESS based.

gerwin wrote:

Attached is a scan I made of the back of the box. Despite it being a Aereal Vortex-2 based card, it does not mention A3D support at all? It is a cool card if only because they bothered to make the midi daughterboard interface work well in DOS.

Attachments

Reply 56 of 57, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerwin wrote:
Jan3Sobieski wrote:

Gallant you say, It would surprise me if it was ESS based.

Hate to disappoint you but: Here

The funny thing is, I have four of these cards and three of them have different pcb's.

Reply 57 of 57, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Funny, it seems every PCB is meant for a different additional midi chip, which is not included obviously. Maybe for the better. The bottom one has a Labway serial.

I did not read my own ISA soundcard document properly, as it states in the notes for Gallant:
"They changed chipset often, sometimes a suffix SC-6600'E' is ES1868, 'C' is CS4237,'Y' is YMF719, 'AD' AD1816."