VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lately I've stopped fiddling with Socket 3 Motherboards and started concentrating on Socket 7 ones.
I know they don't get as much love as a Socket 3 MOBO, but I find them really enjoyable; They are still old enough and have some technical advantages over most Socket 3 MOBOS. And IMO they are perfect for a DOS Gaming machine as they embrace a greater period of time.
I also find SOcket 7's to be greater quality builds overall.

I have a Socket 7 already built. I'm Using a 166MMX overcloked to 200MMX. I just got a 233MMX so I may use this one instead and downclock it to 200mhz....I'm using an Abit PR5 R2 PCI MOBO but got 2 new ones this week which are worth taking a look:

SOYO, SY-5EAS5
Supports MMX, goes up to 200-233. 512kb cache and PS2 mouse port.
moya.jpg

Zida 5SVA-E
A Tomatoboard , I love these ones, specially the Socket 3 Tomatoboard.
It also has 512kb cache + ps2 mouse port, USB connectors, supports MMX and processor speed can go up to 333!!
rpmq.jpg

This is the one I'm using right now. Even though it says is not compatible with MMX, it does work with it. It only has 256kb cache though and PS2 Mouse port.
cimg6285t.jpg

I'm thinking on changing the Abit for the Zida one...any recommendations or comments are welcomed.

Reply 1 of 5, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Regarding the last board: If it doesn't support split voltage you will run the cpu with a higher voltage than necessary so it will produce more heat. Just keep that in mind.

Reply 2 of 5, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanx for the tip, I noticed the CPU getting bloody hot! Didn't know if it was becuase of the overclocking or the voltage itself. I think I'll go for the Zida board with a 233mmx

Reply 3 of 5, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SS7 boards are the best 😀

I really like the ATX boards. They have all the goodies, ISA slots, PS/2, ATX PSU, PCI and AGP, Y2K Bios, large HDD support, BIOS updates on the internet (ASUS or Gigabyte), excellent documentation, great CPU compatibility from basic Pentium to AMD K6-3+, disabling cache gives you a 386 or 486DX/2 depending on CPU and FSB.

It is THE platform to cover the widest range of DOS games. From Wing Commander to Tomb Raider 3D.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ I agree as well... I have a small collection of HOT-591P motherboards that I use in my builds, they are all the same revision and they never failed me... I am using one for at least 10 years now as my main dos machine

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 5, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

SS7 boards are the best 😀

I really like the ATX boards. They have all the goodies, ISA slots, PS/2, ATX PSU, PCI and AGP, Y2K Bios, large HDD support, BIOS updates on the internet (ASUS or Gigabyte), excellent documentation, great CPU compatibility from basic Pentium to AMD K6-3+, disabling cache gives you a 386 or 486DX/2 depending on CPU and FSB.

It is THE platform to cover the widest range of DOS games. From Wing Commander to Tomb Raider 3D.

SS7 boards are great but I much prefer AT format as it keeps a kind of old essence IMO + love AT cases.