VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was wondering if there's anyone here that would be willing to donate me a IDE HDD. I need it for my old P4 PC so I could place Crunchbang Linux on it and be able to dualboot with Windows XP (which is on it's own HDD) and keep the data intact.
It doesn't have to be too high in capacity 10-20GB will do, but of course, the more the better.
I will pay for the shipping of course. It would be perfect if the donor would be from europe (closer to where I'm located) but I won't complain if otherwise =)

Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 9, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So it's a slow trickle of freebie trading now, not that I especially care except the NO TRADING POLICY on here included "postage only" trades too.

USE AMIBAY.COM where you will find a community site designed for trading and with plenty of people willing to help out with the sort of thing you are after

Reply 3 of 9, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Seems they don't have a section for, as you said "freebies". Could you suggest another place similar to that, or somewhere else to look at? I'd love to trade things with those enthusiasts, but really I have nothing interesting that I can dispose of...
And if I could I would just go and buy a high capacity (+250GB) IDE HDD off ebay but I can't buy things online nor have the founds for.

Reply 4 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ there is the "RECYCLE BIN" where people send things for postage cost only... but you have to be a member for some time to get access there... you can always just post a wanted thread in "Wanted Hardware / Other " in the mean time, people might have an old HDD around that are willing to part cheaply...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why don't you just order a CF-to-IDE adapter? It will probably cause you less trouble than some increasingly-ancient mechanical drive.

You'll probably get bored with Linux pretty fast anyway. 😉

Reply 7 of 9, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didn't even knew CFs are still made. In my case I would require Crunchbang for what I want to do, I can't get "bored" of it that way. Still, this would make it highly inefficient as the CF won't last long constantly reading and writing from the card plus those are usually lower in capacity than 10GB (I know Wikipedia says there are 256GB models, but where to find those if not for the gargantuan price they proably have).

Reply 8 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
marooned_on_mars wrote:

In my case I would require Crunchbang for what I want to do, I can't get "bored" of it that way.

Then you'll decide you don't want to do what you want to do that badly after all. 🤣

(Of course I say that not knowing anything about what it is exactly that you want to do and could easily be wrong, but lacking other information, I feel this is the safe way to bet. I'll let this get back to the subject of asking for stuff now.)

Reply 9 of 9, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sounds like we have a Linux basher here 🤣
Anyway, I think it's beyond this thread's purpose to explain what I need Crunchbang for but I'll do it anyway:
My dad uses this PC and since I can't set windows to his native language he can't understand some things, so I thought I would make a Crunchbang installation and put on it lxde since it has a similar main interface as Windows with which my dad is familiar. And I want to do all this while I would keep my own data and install of Windows (which I wish I could abolish in the end and completely move to Linux). Hope that answers your questions.