VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by STX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought this Pentium 4 motherboard in a lot of used computer parts. Its layout is different from ATX motherboards. It only has one screw hole. It as 4 "GNDCLP" slots, one at each corner. What is it from? What is its form factor called?

file.php?id=12679

Filename
P8180111.jpg
File size
557.85 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File comment
top view
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by STX on 2013-08-18, 13:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 8, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a Dell OEM motherboard. It's loosely based on ATX, but OEM's like Dell, HP, Compaq etc tended to stray from the standards and do their own thing.
You'll find it difficult to fit in a standard ATX case without getting creative.

I can't tell what model that board came out of, but if its a GX270, be wary because they were notorious for bad caps. Pretty much every one we had at work ended up with bulging caps. The GX280 and later were much better.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 4 of 8, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't tell what model that board came out of, but if its a GX270, be wary because they were notorious for bad caps. Pretty much every one we had at work ended up with bulging caps. The GX280 and later were much better.

The GX280 had just as many problems as the 270, in my experience. The board in the picture is from a Dimension 4300 though. I don't believe those had too many capacitor problems.

But yeah, fitting that in a regular case ain't gonna happen without some serious effort and decent metalworking skill. And even then you'd really still need the motherboard tray it originally came with.

Reply 6 of 8, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even testing it will be a little tricky without the front panel board (which plugs into that small-pitch 34-pin header between the southbridge and piezo beeper), because the power button/LED board piggybacks off a header on that front panel board... I don't know the pinout of the 34-pin header.