Common searches

2.1 speaker recommendations

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
d1stortion wrote:

The only thing that I remember is that in 98 we had some Typhoon 2.0 speakers, if anybody here knows that brand 🤣

I had a pair of typhoons like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/typhoon-sound-syste … s-/121182321979 bought them in 1997.

Reply 21 of 28, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

I hope you like the Klipsch set. I've had mine for maybe 8 years. A friend or two have them as well. Of the 2.1 PC sets I've used they are probably the best I've heard. I only wish the power switch was on a satellite instead of the sub! I usually just pull the power plug.

I have the Klipsch iFi which is effectively the same thing as the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's except:
- fancier satellites (Klipsch RSX-3's IIRC)
- integrated (elderly) iPod dock, line-in jack and volume control pod
- RF remote control with volume/track controls - not really a power switch tho
- silver paint job 😉
- and no longer in production, while the ProMedia 2.1's are still manufactured basically

Picked it up used about 3 years ago for around $149. Used to have it in my cubicle at work and would rattle the floors when everyone had left and I was still there doing IT business. I could even adjust the volume while downstairs with the RF remote. Hard to find a set complete with remote control and dock, but it was worth it. 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 22 of 28, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:

A 2.1 system for retro PC gaming? Not sure, if I'm correct the concept didn't get introduced to PC speakers until 1999 or so.

More like mid-1993, it seems, during which time the highly-rated Acoustic Research Powered Partner AV-622 and not-so-highly-rated Altec Lansing ACS300 systems were both available.

Here's a little review blurb:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/co … 0w/P-XIh5j995cJ

Two other decent resources are the 1994-era, "Pro Audio 16: The Official Book," and "Sound Blaster: The Official Book," both of which contain a chapter that covers a wide variety of available multimedia speakers, with photos to boot.

Reply 23 of 28, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Soupdragon wrote:

I found these new boxed on ebay this year. They match old PC's in color and sound good.

Yamaha YST-M100

Ah, such a beautiful thing. I were dreaming about them back in '90s...

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 24 of 28, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got them now. They are pretty fine speakers. 😀 Just gave them a quick test with Wipeout 3 and they definitely sound better than my Logitech set.

The lack of RCA inputs is kind of a bummer... but they actually fixed the power button idiocy on the new revisions. You switch between standby and on via volume knob, which I'm not the biggest fan of either but it's certainly a lot better than having the power button on the sub.

Speaking of which, it's a completely different animal than the Z323 sub, just alone due to being sidefire instead of downfire. I think the vibrations are a lot stronger due to the whole chassis making contact with the floor instead of just four legs. It came with some rubber isolation feet but the manual makes no mention of them. Interestingly Sony is written on some of them 🤣 Are they for the subwoofer? Should I mount them? I have laminate floor if it matters.

Joey_sw wrote:

Some speakers sucks, I use HEARTEST.EXE from Ken Silverman utility to argue with the vendors,
as the 2.1 speakers he sell can't proudce the proper low-freq sounds (less than 50 Hz).

Seems like a nice tool, but why does it produce popping noises on my Win7 x64 notebook?
Besides that, those Altec Lansing/"SRS Premium Sound" 🤣 branded notebook speakers can't even go below 170 Hz 😀

Nakhri wrote:

I had a pair of typhoons like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/typhoon-sound ... 1182321979 bought them in 1997.

I had that model, if I'm correct 😀

Cloudschatze wrote:
More like mid-1993, it seems, during which time the highly-rated Acoustic Research Powered Partner AV-622 and not-so-highly-rate […]
Show full quote

More like mid-1993, it seems, during which time the highly-rated Acoustic Research Powered Partner AV-622 and not-so-highly-rated Altec Lansing ACS300 systems were both available.

Here's a little review blurb:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!origi ... XIh5j995cJ

Two other decent resources are the 1994-era, "Pro Audio 16: The Official Book," and "Sound Blaster: The Official Book," both of which contain a chapter that covers a wide variety of available multimedia speakers, with photos to boot.

Thanks for that link! Well, for the ACS300 it can at least be said that it's certainly an eyecatcher.

Edit: stuck the feet to the bottom, but they don't really change sound characteristics. At the recommended 10 o'clock knob position the subwoofer is way too dominant and annoying. Around minimum level it behaves more civilly and all seems good.

Reply 25 of 28, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Six years ago I wrote a review on Edifier M3400. Pretty good thing for multimedia speakers. Dunno if the model still exists, tough.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 26 of 28, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you want something with good sound and not too expensive I would suggest a set by Creative.
I too find Logitech lacking in the sound department, Creative is so much better.

1339518190_396326837_3-CREATIVE-SPEAKERS-BRENDED-21-Channel-Musical-Instruments.jpg

I have this set which is very good, though I'm not sure if it's still available.

Reply 28 of 28, by Forevermore

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In terms of analogue connections, IMO nothing beats hooking up an old 2-4ch amp with a set of good 3-way floor speakers. Max Bass, Max Treble, switch to AUX and away you go 😁

So many combinations to make, so few cases to put them in.