Common searches

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This has to be the most ridiculous thing I've seen in a while:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Best-Gaming-PC-S … =item460f645354

This might be about $5k-$6k worth of parts, no way is it $15000.

What a joke.

Reply 1 of 14, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

claiming 13K in parts is a laugh.

cool system though. I'd give him 3-4k 🤣 😀

Operating Systems: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
System components rate:
Processor 8.8
Memory (RAM) 8.8
Graphics 8.4
Gaming graphics 8.4
Primary hard disk 8.4

What do you have to do to get a score of 9 or 10 in that benchmark? geez.

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 2 of 14, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow and advertising video in the auction. Got a hearth attack because you don't expect music when you browse eBay 🤣

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 14, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rgart wrote:

What do you have to do to get a score of 9 or 10 in that benchmark? geez.

You would need hardware that will be developed 4 years from now.

link
WEI scores currently range from 1 to 5.9. As newer, faster hardware becomes available, Microsoft will increase the top end of the rating scale to allow scores of 6.0 and higher. That means the score you see today will have the same meaning at any point in your computer's lifetime.

Reply 4 of 14, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seriously, though, if you're going to charge that much, why not do it up right and put in 4 8 processor xeons with 256GB of ECC RAM or something? I think that might get you to the point where you would be bumping up against $12k in parts. I think the Titans are $999 a piece and he's got 4 of them in there, but no way is this a $13k or $15k system

Reply 5 of 14, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, will I get photo-realistic graphics at last? Only one of the videos attached to the auction give actual graphics footage, and that's of a benchmark. Footage from real games would have been more impressive.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 6 of 14, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Great Hierophant wrote:

So, will I get photo-realistic graphics at last? Only one of the videos attached to the auction give actual graphics footage, and that's of a benchmark. Footage from real games would have been more impressive.

Seems like 4 Titans would be enough to run a CAVE or something. I don't know how much more photoreal graphics can get. Do we really need 4k gaming?

Reply 7 of 14, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How much would that beast really cost in parts from an affordable company like umart?

estimates?

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 8 of 14, by m1so

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Great Hierophant wrote:

No, unfortunately, you'll only get 400 fps in badly ported console games with blurry, obsolete graphics 😀 .

Reply 9 of 14, by m1so

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

link
WEI scores currently range from 1 to 5.9. As newer, faster hardware becomes available, Microsoft will increase the top end of the rating scale to allow scores of 6.0 and higher. That means the score you see today will have the same meaning at any point in your computer's lifetime.

When was this written? Quite sure it can go up to 10 nowadays, hell, my PC would go up to about 7.2 with an SSD.

Reply 10 of 14, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
m1so wrote:
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

link

When was this written? Quite sure it can go up to 10 nowadays, hell, my PC would go up to about 7.2 with an SSD.

Well with Windows 8.1 that system ranking has been removed completely.

Reply 11 of 14, by thegardentool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The motherboard, CPU, 4 graphics cards, along with their waterblocks and backplates, would set you back around $6,000 USD. Those SSDs are pretty pricey each, along with the other watercooling parts that add up. I don't have time to look everything up but it's probably close to a fair price. There's no way I'd spend $14,500 on a computer through eBay.

That case though is hidious for such an expensive build...at least move up to some type of Corsair or Silverstone case made for internal watercooling.

Main: 7800X3D | X670e | 3090 | 4k144hz
Retro: Kind of together: P3 | ASUS P3B-F | Canopus Spectra 2500 | Canopus Pure3D II SLI | (sometimes a Voodoo 5 AGP) | SoundBlaster AWE32|

Reply 12 of 14, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
thegardentool wrote:

The motherboard, CPU, 4 graphics cards, along with their waterblocks and backplates, would set you back around $6,000 USD. Those SSDs are pretty pricey each, along with the other watercooling parts that add up. I don't have time to look everything up but it's probably close to a fair price. There's no way I'd spend $14,500 on a computer through eBay.

That case though is hidious for such an expensive build...at least move up to some type of Corsair or Silverstone case made for internal watercooling.

You have to admit, it has a certain retina-burning aesthetic, though 😀

Reply 13 of 14, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I agree on this case, seen better back in the days when liquid cooling was more common. I wouldn't burn money on this let alone spend half as much on a single rig.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 14 of 14, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Every time I get the urge to blow a huge wad of cash on a PC, I look at my humble little Raspberry Pi sitting on my desk, which has about the same level of cpu/gpu power as the P II 300 I had wayyyy back and cost 1/100 the price.

There is definitely a sweet spot for this stuff, unless NOT having a $15000 pc would cause you to lose that much money or having it would let you make that much back, spending that kind of money makes no sense.