Common searches

Impressive videogame AI

Topic actions

First post, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Continuing the current trend of "Impressive ..." topics, here's one about Videogame AI!
So have any good examples to share?

My personal favorite would have to be the one in F.E.A.R. The two main reasons I love this game are a) the gunplay and b) the AI.
The AI in F.E.A.R. will almost always be squads of enemies, that communicate with each other through radio chatter. Hearing this for the first time when you're in cover is quite chilling. It will always try to flank you, generally by keeping someone directly at your sight, shooting at you, while others try to move around you and kill you from the rear or side.
When in cover, FEAR's AI will not hesitate to lean or even leap objects and even glass windows, shattering them as they go through the glass!
I loved Extraction Point and enjoyed Perseus Mandate, however F.E.A.R 2 left me completely disgusted. Gone was the awesome AI, AFAIK most of it was scripted this time around. The enemies were also "mute", they would never talk and communicate, in contrast to the first one.
Since then, I've been tempted to play FEAR 3 (and now I own it what with the WB Humble Bundle), but I "fear" (pun intended) I will be left with a bittersweet taste once more.

Let's hear yours!

Reply 1 of 22, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think Dungeon Keeper is a good example. Not the opponents, they're not very bright really (though I read somewhere, they will send you faxes if you just happen to have a fax connected...), but the minion's AI. Each type of creature has its own personallity, for example flies are very curious and will always attempt to explore any black parts of the map. Yet you only get a few of them at the beginning of the game, and any spiders they encounter will eat them. Warlocks and vampires will always fight each other yet these are the only few creatures that will work at the library. And of course there is the horned reaper, which requires its own throne room and if you don't give him gold and food once in a while he will get angry and go on a rampage through your dungeon, killing all your other minions.

These small details go unnoticed in a screen shot, yet add so much more depth to the gameplay.

Reply 2 of 22, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I aggree.
" Your minions are fighting amongst themselves " 😀
Dungeon Keeper was a genious game. The enemy AI actually got an update on the expansion pack, more like mission pack, Deeper Dungeons.

" Your creatures are developing a strange accent! "

Reply 3 of 22, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The AI in the Descent games can be really scary sometimes. I've seen them duck behind corners and wait until you're distracted before coming back out to shoot you, I've seen weaker enemies go fetch help from stronger enemies, the Thief Bot only ever attacks when you're not actively chasing it, though if it hits a dead end it will rush you in an attempt to escape back the way you both came! :o

I've found in developing AI for my own games that the best way to develop an AI that plays by the rules is to make sure it can only react to what it can perceive, to give it a degree of randomness, and to make the AI even more challenging, all you have to do is test it out, see if it does something stupid or predictable that makes it easy to destroy, then code it so that it stops doing that. Repeat until it's as unpredictable and hard to fight as possible, then, divy those traits up so you can selectively enable and disable them, thus giving each enemy its own "personality" so to speak. (Though just to note, none of the games I've released so far have AI like this; it's something I was developing for my unfinished game Space Fortress 2.)

Making GOOD AI requires a lot of trial and error and unfortunately, typically involves having the programmers (not the QA people) playing tons of the game to see what mistakes the AI are making and to code them out. To that end, you're more likely to see good AI out of smaller game production groups than large companies since the smaller the company is, the more QA work the programmers themselves will have time to do.

To give a very good practical example: How often in Skyrim have you just power-attacked someone, arrowed them in the face, or blasted them to death with a fireball because they were idiotically rushing straight towards you? Or another Skyrim example: You rush someone with a power attack who's sitting very close by in a chair and they have to go through the entire SLOW animation for getting out of the chair before they can draw their weapon and attack?

But then, at the same time, you sometimes WANT the AI to be predictable, because if it's too difficult to fight, it's not fun. I think the majority of space shooters are a prime example of that logic. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 4 of 22, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:

To give a very good practical example: How often in Skyrim have you just power-attacked someone, arrowed them in the face, or blasted them to death with a fireball because they were idiotically rushing straight towards you? Or another Skyrim example: You rush someone with a power attack who's sitting very close by in a chair and they have to go through the entire SLOW animation for getting out of the chair before they can draw their weapon and attack?

How about hiding and shooting an arrow up someones face. They'll look around for a few seconds and eventually conclude "Must've been my imagination."
Have you played Morrowind? It's a better game in many ways (actually I think it's the best game ever), but the AI leaves a lot to be desired. Well, the combat AI is OK I guess, but the pathfinding system, or lack thereof, makes all NPCs look really dumb and clumsy.

I'm trying to think of more examples of good AI, but naming games with terrible AI is just so much easier 🤣

Reply 5 of 22, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 3D elder scrolls an Fallout games tend to have pretty simple AI... they just seem to run toward you so all you have to do is run backwards away from them while attacking. Gets pretty tedious.

I agree that morrowind is the best game in the series but thats probably a topic for a different thread 😀

Half life had pretty good ai especially for the marines, theyd try to flank you and if you ducked behind cover theyd throw grenades to flush you out.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 6 of 22, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure if this can be called AI, but the Castlevania series has lots of enemies whose patterns are seriously designed to piss you off... the medusa heads and hunchbacks in particular.

Reply 7 of 22, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
d1stortion wrote:

the medusa heads and hunchbacks

This has been a love hate relationship. Castlevania just ain't Castlevania without the medusa heads. And then again, I hate them...

Half-Life has some impressive AI indeed and most of it is hidden or undocumented! Check this out for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elwb2lV88hM&li … EC2i3iB&index=8

Reply 9 of 22, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good AI: That's what online multi-player is for 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 11 of 22, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If today's in-game graphics were at the same standard as today's in-game artificial intelligence, then games would be monochromatic, in a very low resolution with huge (and rectangular, not square) pixel, with the letter X being your in-game character, minus signs for bullets (even if the 'bullets' were moving vertically, and with dollar signs representing the enemies. And even then the screen would flicker badly enough to give you a headache.

But sadly graphics sell games, whereas no games get sold on the merit of their A.I. routines (well, except for Chess games, which is pointless as a Chess game from the eighties can thrash 99% of humans, so the fact that a new Chess game is the best player yet is like you choosing to fight the best boxer of all time when you're Stephen Hawking), so companies continually improve the graphics over time. As a result, we have stunning looking games, but the NPCs (non-player characters) are not only utterly of holding fairly convincing conversations with us, they can't even remember things that have happened a few minutes ago in game time. In most open world games, the NPCs mainly just 'exist' long enough to spout a few random sentences then disappear again when they're out of your sight, and when you can see them they either stand still or walk pointlessly to a preset location. There are exceptions, but if you scratch a little deeper then the limiations of the fixed scripting becomes all too apparent.

Still, good A.I. (like your own real-life health, or freedom) is something you don't notice, you only notice it's absence. When an in-game character does something stupid (walks into a wall, continually shoots a wall, drives over a team mate, etc, people talk (and often laugh) about it, but when a game behaves cleverly it's often ignored, or even put down to random luck. To this day, people still debate if the enemies in Mr Do! (a classic arcade game from about 1981) are clever or lucky, as the do occasionally seem to anticipate the player's movements (and off-hand I can't think of one other arcade game that demonstrates (possible) good A.I. to this level). There are some games that exhibit good AI, but they are few and far between. Such games include games like the Unreal Tournament series, the FEAR series, the Half-Life series, or console games like the Halo series, Perfect Dark, and Unreal Championship 2), but even they are only performing relatively fairly simple tasks, being players in a first person shooter.

In fact, it's harder to create a 'realistic' (i.e. one that can make mistakes and also lose to humans) bot than it is to create a good one, as (a) you can always allow a bot to cheat (since the PC or console knows everything about the current game, so by extension the enemies can know everything too, if they're programmed to), and (b) the computer controlled enemies can 'think' much faster than humans can (though it's not real thought, of course, just a very limited set of decisions and actions).

Reply 12 of 22, by truth_deleted

User metadata

This UT2k4 bot was awarded most human-like by experts. I've run many of these bots in a game and their behaviors are sophisticated and the gameplay seems unique. They coded these using the latest technology, but today's CPU can handle several bots at once. In that contest, they actually ranked higher than the human player with respect to their humanness. 😲

Reply 13 of 22, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

RTCW has evil AI cunning as well. I just beat that again last week... The Unreal AI, including the UT games, was an ongoing effort led by Stephen Polge of Quake reaper bot mod fame BTW.

I find the AI of Oblivion and Skyrim quite fascinating. There once was an Oblivion mod in the works called NPCs With Jobs that was trying to make a functioning mini community. Sadly it was abandoned though.

Reply 15 of 22, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, on the topic of Oblivion/Skyrim, Radiant AI was a much hyped feature that showed a lot of potential but was sadly severely gimped in the final releases of both games:

http://venturebeat.com/2010/12/17/dimming-the … ai-in-oblivion/

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 16 of 22, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah I've read about Radiant AI and the problems they had keeping it from going bonkers. It is still one of the most interesting game AIs, I think. It does create lots of unexpected unscripted entertainment.

Reply 17 of 22, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mind you, it's FAR easier to program a passive AI than a hostile one. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 18 of 22, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gunship 2000 has pretty impressive wingmen AI at that time. Not only they're quite capable to defend themselves, but they often show initiative to destroy nearby threats that they often save your bacon in the process. This is quite different than, say, TIE Fighters' wingmen that requires constant babysit to do things right. Fortunately, TIE Fighters' wingmen are expendable.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 19 of 22, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm actually in the process of making a AI for Unreal.

Basically it's a decoration that will stalk you (or it's chosen target for that matter) endlessly throughout the level, only stopping whenever anything is looking at it. It will then stalk whoever saw it last. Once it reaches it's target, it will explode massively killing not only it but anything else nearby with the consequence of causing a massive chain reaction should other such decorations are nearby.

Before someone says it, I was not inspired at all by Doctor Who.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων