VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just received a lot of DDR and DDR2 memory I bought on Ebay.

First the good.
It was more than 50gb of memory for ~40 dollar, mostly 1gb sticks.

[rant]

Now the bad.
Why do Ebay sellers often use newspapers to wrap computer components?
The unprotected memory modules were free to move around in the shredded newspapers, A real static wonderland for memory.

The two 2gb sticks of DDR2 memory I have tested so far seems to have survived and if only a few more sticks are ok then at least I got something for my money.
But things like this really piss me off.

Wrap stuff tightly so it cant move around and dont use !#"#%!"%"#¤ newspapers instead of antistatic bags.

[/rant]

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 3 of 8, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If your are going to wrap loads of memory modules and dont want to spend unnecessary money on anti-static bags then use normal tape and tape the modules tightly together in stacks of 5 or 6. Use a single large anti-static bag, if necessary cut it open to make it even larger then wrap the stacks in it so the stacks dont touch each other, then tape it all tightly together so nothing can move.

Then go ahead and use as much newspaper as you want as protection as long as the memory modules are safe in their anti static package.

Thats how I do it 😀

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 4 of 8, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Eh, maybe I'm just jaded, but I take a more pragmatic view of such things. As long as I feel I've gotten my money's worth on something, I see no point in stressing about it. After receiving enough crap in Ziploc bags and bare bubble mailers, I wouldn't even give a second thought to getting something in shredded newspaper. At least paper is a fairly poor conductor.

You're always taking a chance on used stuff from eBay anyhow, since you can never know the history of the item... perfect packing doesn't really mean much if the thing was kicked around on the carpet before it was boxed up.

Reply 5 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skyscraper wrote:

If your are going to wrap loads of memory modules and dont want to spend unnecessary money on anti-static bags then use normal tape and tape the modules tightly together in stacks of 5 or 6. Use a single large anti-static bag, if necessary cut it open to make it even larger then wrap the stacks in it so the stacks dont touch each other, then tape it all tightly together so nothing can move.

Tape!? The most idiotic instance of shipping I ever dealt with was a CD wrapped in newspaper to which the CD was scotch-taped. Attempting to remove the tape from the CD lifted the aluminum layer clean off. >_< Granted, something like that is much less likely to happen with any kind of PCB, but I'll not be trusting tape for something like that anytime soon.

Reply 6 of 8, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Eh, maybe I'm just jaded, but I take a more pragmatic view of such things. As long as I feel I've gotten my money's worth on something, I see no point in stressing about it. After receiving enough crap in Ziploc bags and bare bubble mailers, I wouldn't even give a second thought to getting something in shredded newspaper. At least paper is a fairly poor conductor.

You're always taking a chance on used stuff from eBay anyhow, since you can never know the history of the item... perfect packing doesn't really mean much if the thing was kicked around on the carpet before it was boxed up.

I can see no signs showing that these modules ever have been mishandled

n31r.jpg

i8q8.jpg

No signs at all...

Jorpho wrote:

Tape!? The most idiotic instance of shipping I ever dealt with was a CD wrapped in newspaper to which the CD was scotch-taped. Attempting to remove the tape from the CD lifted the aluminum layer clean off. >_< Granted, something like that is much less likely to happen with any kind of PCB, but I'll not be trusting tape for something like that anytime soon.

I never had any problems with removing tape from memory modules, you dont have to use much of it though. And this is only if you need to package lots of modules and dont have the necessary amount of anti-static bags.

Reply 7 of 8, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With most recent hardware purchases the items I recieved were tightly wrapped in plastic wrap... probably the worst choice imaginable in regard to static build-up. I've yet to see if anything got damaged that way. But I guess there is not much that can be done for items that yield virtually no profit...

Reply 8 of 8, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The worst that I had was some solar cells that were packed in cotton and one or two things that were rolled up in toilet paper 😠 In the end I got some of my money back.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.